Garrett Shrader | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

I think if the offense is meh we win some games. Right now it’s sub-meh.
Maybe? What if Rutgers D is better than we think? I know Ohio’s stock is waaayy down - but we looked competent in that game.

In 2 games TD has 200 yards passing 0 TD and 1 INT !!! Against OHIO and RUTGERS. Not OHIO STATE just OHIO. What has TD done to show he deserves to be the starting QB and remain on the field? What has TD done in the games to prove that we shouldn't be giving all other QBs on the roster a chance? Because he flashed 3 years ago in relief duty? Because he was a 4-star recruit 5 years ago?
We didn’t need a QB to be special in game 1. He flunked the test in the 4th Q vs Rutgers. But Shrader didn’t fare any better. Both were sub par.

I think it’s too early to pull him fully and Shrader hasn’t done enough.

We didn’t need a QB to be special in game 1. He flunked the test in the 4th Q vs Rutgers. But Shrader didn’t fare any better. Both were sub par.

I think it’s too early to pull him fully and Shrader hasn’t done enough.

I think we should expect our starting senior QB to be special against OHIO. He has been in this system his entire Syracuse career. Should know the entire system in and out. If we can't expect TD to be special in games against OHIO how can we expect him to be passable against the better teams of the ACC. At this point, I would expect TD to be closer to Matt Johnson's senior year than struggling to beat out an SEC WR for our QB position.

If it was GS against OHIO I would agree we don't need him to be special to beat OHIO it's his first game starting in Dino's system and playing live with the WRs etc. But TD doesn't get that excuse anymore.

TD is a game manager (at best). And with the offense as it is right now we need more than that. Which hopefully Shredder is. If a play breaks down (ie every play basically) can he make something happen? He should be an absolute perfect match for Tucker in the RPO

Unless one of the two is an objective disaster what happens in the game against an 0-2 FCS team shouldn’t have anything to do with the decision, imo. You had a month of fall camp and two games against bad teams to figure it out.

Unless one of the two is an objective disaster what happens in the game against an 0-2 FCS team shouldn’t have anything to do with the decision, imo. You had a month of fall camp and two games against bad teams to figure it out.
I think Dino wants Shrader to be the guy but he can't pull the trigger until Shrader actually proves himself. If Dino wanted it to be Tommy he would have picked already.

Even if Tommy wins the job I still don't get why we can't use Shrader like Taysom Hill. If we have short yardage or goal to go.

It's like every bit of confidence he had at the end of his time at BGSU has completely evaporated.

He has to be able to make this call. He's the HC. I truly like Dino and want him to turn this around.

I want GS to be the guy, but even if Dino picks Tommy, so be it. He has to make a choice.

It's go time. No more putting Tommy and GS in this awful position to answer stupid questions after each game.

I think we should expect our starting senior QB to be special against OHIO. He has been in this system his entire Syracuse career. Should know the entire system in and out. If we can't expect TD to be special in games against OHIO how can we expect him to be passable against the better teams of the ACC. At this point, I would expect TD to be closer to Matt Johnson's senior year than struggling to beat out an SEC WR for our QB position.

If it was GS against OHIO I would agree we don't need him to be special to beat OHIO it's his first game starting in Dino's system and playing live with the WRs etc. But TD doesn't get that excuse anymore.
We didn’t *need* him to be special and didn’t ask him to be, outside of a few moments. That deep toss to Taj was a good throw.

People always accuse coaches of not being truthful - but I actually think he wants one of them to grab it and be the guy and they’ve both fallen short, so far.

A deadline helps.

TD Position is not alone by itself in a VACUUM. I think the OL has some 'splaining to do as it could not give either time in the pocket when needed on 2nd and Long and 3rd and Long. Our RB's issues in blocking competently the Pass Rush (and perhaps why we saw less of some of them) continue. Watched the game on TV but I did see open receivers when the ball was slotted into Double Coverage by TD. Schrader is rusty however, he has a stronger arm. Its hard to throw against 8 man secondary from what I saw.

Breakdown of OL forced both QB's to scramble and our WR could not improvise to get open. We are going to see that more often from teams. Need more yards on 1st down to help moving the ball. Play calling reminded me of Dick McPhersons first couple of years, however we at least gained 2-3 yards on those plays instead of getting stuffed in the backfield of the line of scrimmage.

Overall, Defense was good. Rutgers did not get major drives on us. Turnovers killed us. Taj non-fumble fumble call was unreal. Missed FP at the half was terrible from a Garza Winner. Minimum 6 points given away at the half.

I think Dino wants Shrader to be the guy but he can't pull the trigger until Shrader actually proves himself. If Dino wanted it to be Tommy he would have picked already.

Even if Tommy wins the job I still don't get why we can't use Shrader like Taysom Hill. If we have short yardage or goal to go.

This. Good post.

What Dino is trying to say is after a month of camp and two games against bad teams, neither of these guys has been good enough to be QB1. They both have been below average. Not to mention, one of them has recently gone on record to a reporter that he HAS done enough to be the starting QB. What a clueless fool….

People always accuse coaches of not being truthful - but I actually think he wants one of them to grab it and be the guy and they’ve both fallen short, so far.

A deadline helps.
Ok, how can one of them "grab it" if the split playing time is 95% to 5% ??? Dino is off his rocker if he thinks that he is allowing competition.

We didn’t *need* him to be special and didn’t ask him to be, outside of a few moments. That deep toss to Taj was a good throw.
The larger point is, once the bright lights shine down, he has proven that there is nothing "special" about him. He wasn't recruited to be a "game manager" in his 5th year in the program.

For whatever reason, TD has never looked comfortable/confident as QB-1. Not sure why, maybe outside pressure (you know who), the burden of following ED or simply to robotic.

Definitely sounds like whoever loses the job is going to say adios, thus Dino doesn’t want to commit to one yet.
Would make sense for Tommy if he loses out, but Schrader has 2 more years to be the starter here right?

Would make sense for Tommy if he loses out, but Schrader has 2 more years to be the starter here right?

AND - Shredder has already used up his 1 Get Out Of Jail FREE Card - so he'd have to sit out a season if he transferred again.

While Tommy could theoretically both come back next year, and/or also transfer without having to sit out, I've gotta imagine this is his last year in college, regardless -

He's not a spring chicken, probably already has his degree, and would probably want to at least try his hand at some sort of Pro football post-college.

(and no, I'm not saying that's necessarily a realistic option for him at this time, but you know how all of these guys are)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom