Garrett Williams and Field Turf | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams and Field Turf

yep except its not the no give part, it the too much squishy spongy too much "give" that tranfers all the forces to the knee ligaments as I've noted elsewhere.
Field turf was pitched as being safer than the old artificial turf at least partly because the "squishy" pellets were supposed to absorb impact. Now it seems the problem is that the rubber pellets are rebounding those forces back up into the player's bodies and one reason grass remains safer is that you get the give but not the same rebound. Am I understanding that correctly?

Field turf was pitched as being safer than the old artificial turf at least partly because the "squishy" pellets were supposed to absorb impact. Now it seems the problem is that the rubber pellets are rebounding those forces back up into the player's bodies and one reason grass remains safer is that you get the give but not the same rebound. Am I understanding that correctly?
exactly, its a transfer of forces where they shouldn't be imo, especially with deceleration and movement pivots. Its great (the squishyness) for impact dispersal lessening tackle related injuries like clavicle fractures, a/c shoulder joint seperations, and concussions but the ACL impacts are ridiculous. Answer is go back to the firm turf on top they used to have but make the underneath layers larger and softer if that's possible.

Man, that sounds like a hard target to hit. Total 3 bears level of softness and hardness at the same time. I'd imagine that the manufacturers are always testing to improve the product but that's a tiny line to hit.

Can we just use a concrete tarvia next year? I mean didn't we all play football in parking lots during recess in grade school right? I'm ok losing a player for a few weeks, but we just can't afford the season-ending ACLs like some other teams.

Man, that sounds like a hard target to hit. Total 3 bears level of softness and hardness at the same time. I'd imagine that the manufacturers are always testing to improve the product but that's a tiny line to hit.
The hard part is finding something that absorbs some impact without rebounding like rubber and can still return to its original shape. Almost like some sort of firm memory foam.

Anyone with knowledge want to explain this? Is this data flawed somehow?

No clue. Just posting a report that just came out and reminded me of this thread. The only thing I would say, without honestly having read the whole thing. Is an NFL study going to be “looking for” the result they want in the study.

No clue. Just posting a report that just came out and reminded me of this thread. The only thing I would say, without honestly having read the whole thing. Is an NFL study going to be “looking for” the result they want in the study.
but the study was also done with the NFLPA as well who have an interest in player safety as well..

but the study was also done with the NFLPA as well who have an interest in player safety as well..

Like I said, I admittedly didn’t read much of it. Wanted to make sure I posted before someone else did so I’d get all the necessary credit.

Can we just use a concrete tarvia next year? I mean didn't we all play football in parking lots during recess in grade school right? I'm ok losing a player for a few weeks, but we just can't afford the season-ending ACLs like some other teams.
Yes, when we weren’t busy playing dodgeball with fully inflated basketballs.

I'm curious on how many SU guys get hurt % wise compared to how many visitors knee wise at the Dome.

I'm curious on how many SU guys get hurt % wise compared to how many visitors knee wise at the Dome.
That may not be a good comparison because they may practice and play on a different surface than our guys when not in the Dome. There is likely a repetitve trauma that takes place and adds up over time with the forces Cuseregular was describing. I wonder how often we practice outdoors on grass versus inside the practice facility.

That may not be a good comparison because they may practice and play on a different surface than our guys when not in the Dome. There is likely a repetitve trauma that takes place and adds up over time with the forces Cuseregular was describing. I wonder how often we practice outdoors on grass versus inside the practice facility.

Interesting, thanks. So he's concerned about the wearing down thus weaker/susceptible/chronic and not the acute type injury?

Interesting, thanks. So he's concerned about the wearing down thus weaker/susceptible/chronic and not the acute type injury?
I think so. Wearing down could be part of it along with simpy the added forces the connective tissues have to deal with when force it rebounded back into the legs versus absorbed into the surface like natural turf. It would better explain the non contact stuff we've seen.

I think so. Wearing down could be part of it along with simpy the added forces the connective tissues have to deal with when force it rebounded back into the legs versus absorbed into the surface like natural turf. It would better explain the non contact stuff we've seen.

That makes sense. I'm curious how many schools practice on turf because it seems logical to do due to weather conditions.

That makes sense. I'm curious how many schools practice on turf because it seems logical to do due to weather conditions.
Yeah. So many places have indoor facilities. I would think their surfaces would be the same as ours. Then, how much does weather differences affect how much one school practices indoors versus outdoors compared to another? Do schools in arid places like Arizona have natural outdoor surfaces to practice on?

Yeah. So many places have indoor facilities. I would think their surfaces would be the same as ours. Then, how much does weather differences affect how much one school practices indoors versus outdoors compared to another? Do schools in arid places like Arizona have natural outdoor surfaces to practice on?
If the injuries are due to repetitive playing on artificial turf, could the trouble be starting in high school? Many high schools have converted to artificial turf. Could a player actually start the damage starting with modified and continuing through varsity football. Then the catastrophic injury occurs in college.
And, are soccer, lacrosse, field hockey teams seeing similar injuries?

I don't have a position on this issue, but it is weird that someone posted a link to relevant data and nobody cares to comment on it.

Mainly because there is too much data that counters what one study says…

Mainly because there is too much data that counters what one study says…

This is what I was hoping would happen.

If the injuries are due to repetitive playing on artificial turf, could the trouble be starting in high school? Many high schools have converted to artificial turf. Could a player actually start the damage starting with modified and continuing through varsity football. Then the catastrophic injury occurs in college.
And, are soccer, lacrosse, field hockey teams seeing similar injuries?
Sure, it could start earlier and likely does with the way artificial surfaces have filtered down.

To look at the differences between sports, you'd have to analyze how the athletes move. I can't say for sure, but I suspect football has more hard cutting than the others you mentioned. That would place more stress on the joints. We know that football players are significantly bigger and more powerful than those other sports (maybe not as big a difference with lacrosse, but I think the movements are different). That has to be factored in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom