Garrett Williams and Field Turf | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams and Field Turf

But people are acting like we are the only ones using it and that our turf is way more dangerous than anyone elses.
Again. Read the posts. All teams, professional, college, high school that use an artificial turf have a higher number of knee injuries when compared to teams that play on grass when looked at over time.

Please read my post. I said teams, meaning all teams, professional, college, high school that use an artificial turf have a higher number of knee injuries when compared to teams that play on grass when looked at over time, meaning not just one season. The new generation of field turf does not appear to have helped the problem much. More research is needed as there is no easy solution to the problem.

Yes I know what your post said. And I agree 100%. When I say why SU I’m talking about in comparison to other schools and NFL teams that are using field turf. It’s a given that every study I’ve even seen says there’s more injuries on turf than grass over time.

Believe it or not, grass is not easy to grow in AZ either. We have 2 seasonal grasses, and to do it right you need to kill the grass and replant between seasons. And then there is the summer heat, and the lack of water. That is why many of us use rock instead of grass. Oh and there is that factor that we no longer need to mow it.

Yes I know what your post said. And I agree 100%. When I say why SU I’m talking about in comparison to other schools and NFL teams that are using field turf. It’s a given that every study I’ve even seen says there’s more injuries on turf than grass over time.
Other schools using field turf are having similar issues. Maybe not necessarily this season, but when looked at over several seasons other teams that use field turf have the same issues. Not sure I can explain it any other way.

Other schools using field turf are having similar issues. Maybe not necessarily this season, but when looked at over several seasons have the same issues. Not sure I can explain it any other way.

UNC had a guy with a non contact knee injury. Trying to see Pitt, guys were on the (new-ish) turf a lot there.

I saw a few posts claiming the field turf in the dome today is lays directly on top of a concrete floor.

That is wrong.

After the roof was completed, and the cranes inside were all moved out, that reddish surface that covered the dome floor was really beat up and not fit to serve as the underlaying surface for the field turf.

They put a new surface. It was dark blue. Some construction workers posted pictures and I know some were posted in the crane thing on this board.

Here is one describing what one of the pictures looked like.

Could not find any pictures but I know I saw them and there is no doubt in my mind there is a new, cushioned, synthetic surface under the field turf. The field turf brand is Field Turf Classic HD.

Turf is a tolerable evil at the moment. Add it to the list of things that are tolerated in college and pro football that probably shouldn't be.

Back to GW. Hope he has a full recovery and kills it at the next level. He's a fantastic player and deserves to have a long NFL career.

That is the ideal solution- if someone can figure out where to store an entire football field outside the Dome and how to slide it in and out. Just minor details :)
Are you Jake C? Just get er done. This is not as complicated as some are making it. This needs to be a priority in the off-season. Not losing your best players to ACLs is the equivalent of landing 4-stars in the portal.

Either this or make both teams take off their cleats and just wear socks or go barefoot.

Other schools using field turf are having similar issues. Maybe not necessarily this season, but when looked at over several seasons other teams that use field turf have the same issues. Not sure I can explain it any other way.

Ok, two last points because I’m tired of this subject. Lol. What you’re saying is that SU isn’t unique. I agree with that and this year is more an anomaly or bad luck. I’d also like to see the data for the Colts and Lions. I don’t recall them losing a player every other home game.

If there was a way for SU to put grass in the Dome like prior posts have shown other places are doing, that would be super. I just don’t see the viability of that slide in and out stuff.

I think the Arizona Cardinals have “trays” of natural grass that they slide into their domed stadium.
Many years ago I was in Phoenix for a conference & we were allowed to go to the "new" stadium for a tour. The back of the stadium opened up & the whole field rolled on some kind of conveyor system (can't remember the details) outside where they watered it & tended to it. Then rolled it back in for games. It was outside the day we were there.

Many years ago I was in Phoenix for a conference & we were allowed to go to the "new" stadium for a tour. The back of the stadium opened up & the whole field rolled on some kind of conveyor system (can't remember the details) outside where they watered it & tended to it. Then rolled it back in for games. It was outside the day we were there.

That’s the way to go but specific to the dome I don’t see how with the configuration and location of the dome it could be done. It would have to be done on the west side with some sort of elevated platform but then I’m not sure it would line up with field level.

That’s the way to go but specific to the dome I don’t see how with the configuration and location of the dome it could be done. It would have to be done on the west side with some sort of elevated platform but then I’m not sure it would line up with field level.
Take the field off in 10 or 20 yard sections. Store it in an off site facility and bring it back for each game

Time to think outside the box (Dome). Add grow lights to the ceiling of the Dome. Only need grass from September to November. I mean everyone knows you can grow grass in a closet with grow lights. Or SU owns all the land down to the I81 Viaduct. Plenty of space to grow and store grass there. Or maybe grow and store at Skytop. Get SUNY ESF working on a new grass that can grow in doors. Or just build a open air stadium.

Yeah no kidding really? Of course they’re different mechanisms, and re ESR of course there too that’s why I listed the other two to get a comprehensive look into general inflammatory states. Follow up diagnostic work nails down things.

Overall it’s actually the perfect analogy and example of under the radar illness/injury processes that will one day manifest that everybody is shocked when it does. Nice try though.
Lol, defensive much?
To me they are entirely different mechanisms, so not perfect. If you are attached to it, fine.

And no, the diagnostic work up is not that simple to nail things down.

Ok, two last points because I’m tired of this subject. Lol. What you’re saying is that SU isn’t unique. I agree with that and this year is more an anomaly or bad luck. I’d also like to see the data for the Colts and Lions. I don’t recall them losing a player every other home game.

If there was a way for SU to put grass in the Dome like prior posts have shown other places are doing, that would be super. I just don’t see the viability of that slide in and out stuff.
I seldom get involved in these type of posts (Orthopedics Concussion, Covid) and will often simply disappear from the board for a week or two before returning so that I’m not tempted to comment.

This is what I do for a living. I regularly treat high school and collegiate athletes, and on rare occasions, professional athletes. I see these injuries on a weekly basis.

Regarding your post above. Yes, this issue is not unique to SU, but for all teams playing on artificial turf. Luck may play a part for a season, but studies show the turf monster will eventually get you. I don’t know about individual teams (Colts, Lions), but I’m positive that if they have not had many recent injuries, they are concerned.

As for the Evergreen Turf used in Arizona, that is not a feasible option at SU nor for any college stadium not only for logistics, but cost to install and maintain.

Unfortunately, there are no easy solutions. If there were, they would have already been made.

And yes, I agree, with you Bees, this will be my last post on this subject. It’s tiring.

Lol, defensive much?
To me they are entirely different mechanisms, so not perfect. If you are attached to it, fine.

And no, the diagnostic work up is not that simple to nail things down.
np, sorry re the reaction. Yep that's why I didn't say it was simple, especially auto immune as it sounds like you already know.

for years the game was played on muddy pits and frozen pits then we went to artifical turf on concrete or black top, now we have field turf. something else will come along. it could a combination of size/speed/shoes what ever.. Shows have evolved.. Players want to stop on a dime.. Maybe they shouldnt. Put them all in sneakers and let them slip all over it would slow down the game in many ways, would it be safer?

for years the game was played on muddy pits and frozen pits then we went to artifical turf on concrete or black top, now we have field turf. something else will come along. it could a combination of size/speed/shoes what ever.. Shows have evolved.. Players want to stop on a dime.. Maybe they shouldnt. Put them all in sneakers and let them slip all over it would slow down the game in many ways, would it be safer?
Bury the field in a foot of snow. Would get rid of most injuries.

I blamed it on the stupidity of having a budding star CB returning kickoffs in a preseason game.

922216e5-4b0b-492a-ba3e-c8564e1d9b8e_text.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom