Garrett Williams and Field Turf | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams and Field Turf

Giants Stadium used to have grass trays. With two pro teams, college and high school games, concerts, etc., the field got beat up and they had to scrap it:

Giants Stadium used to have grass trays. With two pro teams, college and high school games, concerts, etc., the field got beat up and they had to scrap it:

I believe they had to put in grass in order to host World Cup games in 1994.

I believe they had to put in grass in order to host World Cup games in 1994.
Yep, they will be putting in the temporary grass in several stadiums again in 26 .

I’ve been saying that it’s not a coincidence all these guys are tearing their ACL’s in non-contact incidents. All the way back to Cisco tearing his ACL in warmups . I have always been the first to say injuries are part of the game, but every year we are decimated by the half way mark, and a lot of them are because of the turf. Plus there are a lot more injuries that have occurred than most people know. I would assume there was a study done, but the amount of non contact blown ACL’s that happen at home seem to be stacking up abnormally. I would like to see a comparison to Detroit and Indy.

Then again this is why the game was made to play outside. You have people going to Penn St to major in this stuff. The amount of work, time, and knowledge to manage a grass field like Penn St is a good paying, full time job. All we do is roll up the turf and piece together the hardwood court in 24 hrs. Smh

Last edited:
I’ve been saying that it’s not a coincidence all these guys are tearing their ACL’s in non-contact incidents. All the way back to Cisco tearing his ACL in warmups . I have always been the first to say injuries are part of the game, but every year we are decimated by the half way mark, and a lot of them are because of the turf. Plus there are a lot more injuries that have occurred than most people know. I would assume there was a study done, but the amount of non contact blown ACL’s that happen at home seem to be stacking up abnormally. I would like to see a comparison to Detroit and Indy.

Then again this is why the game was made to play outside. You have people going to Penn St to major in this stuff. The amount of work, time, and knowledge to manage a grass field like Penn St is a good paying, full time job. All we do is roll up the turf and piece together the hardwood court in 24 hrs. Smh

I thought Cisco collided with one of the WR's during warmups?

And I thought that someone landed on Williams and his leg was bent awkwardly?

Ok, two last points because I’m tired of this subject. Lol. What you’re saying is that SU isn’t unique. I agree with that and this year is more an anomaly or bad luck. I’d also like to see the data for the Colts and Lions. I don’t recall them losing a player every other home game.

If there was a way for SU to put grass in the Dome like prior posts have shown other places are doing, that would be super. I just don’t see the viability of that slide in and out stuff.
How do you grow grass when the basketball court and seats cover it up for five winter months? The turf is not the problem. Sometimes luck is just not on your side. Most eastern and midwestern teams play on field turf. The fields would be a disaster when the weather gets bad. With the lack of water out west, I doubt watering stadium fields is a priority.

I’m sure this thread is now in the hands of every school recruiting against us. We don’t have a choice. Field turf is our only option.

I’m sure this thread is now in the hands of every school recruiting against us. We don’t have a choice. Field turf is our only option.

The power given to internet sports posters is incredible.

Nothing in this thread topic is new or unknown. None of it.

Turf causes more lower body injuries than grass. It's a cumulative impact.

It's also a tolerable situation even though it isn't great.

That's it.

No new news. Syracuse's downfall won't be because of anything on this site.

That's it.

I’m still waiting for someone to de-commit and then, when interviewed by someone from 2 4 7, replies “yeah it was ok I guess, but what’s up with the guy obsessed with ice cream sandwiches.”

That's it.

Agree, it certainly isn’t going to help though.

How do you grow grass when the basketball court and seats cover it up for five winter months? The turf is not the problem. Sometimes luck is just not on your side. Most eastern and midwestern teams play on field turf. The fields would be a disaster when the weather gets bad. With the lack of water out west, I doubt watering stadium fields is a priority.
Over 60% of Div. 1 schools play on Artificial turf and the vast majority is Field Turf.

That's it.

yep, I'd imagine if anyone took the time to a deep dive in the research literature they'd find that the non contact acl injuries would be greater anywhere they play on turf, and that would be the primary reason for the difference and disparity, at least that'd be my hypothesis on his all.

Last edited:
some studies that came out this spring

The researchers found that 74,620 estimated football-related ACL injuries occurred on artificial turf and 122,654 on natural grass.

also the same study

The injuries were contact-related for 50.2% of football-related ACL injuries on artificial turf and 60.8% on natural grass.

so of the injuries 10% more non contact ones.

Nothing in the study mentions number of games played on the various surfaces though.

The researchers found that 74,620 estimated football-related ACL injuries occurred on artificial turf and 122,654 on natural grass.

also the same study

The injuries were contact-related for 50.2% of football-related ACL injuries on artificial turf and 60.8% on natural grass.

Nothing in the study mentions number of games played on the various surfaces though.

Can you link this study

also the same study

Nm it’s the first thing that comes up when you google

I read about 4-5 of those things today.. Many of them pointed out the increase in ACL in soccer and also how much more often it happens in girls soccer than boys. Socccer does make some sense with so many sliding type tackles to legs stuck out kicking a ball.

Ok, two last points because I’m tired of this subject. Lol. What you’re saying is that SU isn’t unique. I agree with that and this year is more an anomaly or bad luck. I’d also like to see the data for the Colts and Lions. I don’t recall them losing a player every other home game.

If there was a way for SU to put grass in the Dome like prior posts have shown other places are doing, that would be super. I just don’t see the viability of that slide in and out stuff.

It works when done right and if they can make it work for top tier euro football (soccer), where the quality of the pitch is paramount, it can work for American football. I went to a game at one such stadium for the 2006 world cup - they can slide the field in and out of the stadium (to grow outdoors when not in use) in about 4 hours... Germans are good at engineering stuff evidently (note the bolded info below about sound damping!)

Sadly, this type of real turf system really needs to be designed with the stadium to work (stadium needs a giant "slider bay" base-level on one side to move the grass pitch in and out.) and you need a directly-adjacent outdoor footprint next to the stadium as the "growing field" when slid outdoors.

Arena AufSchalke / Veltins-Arena in Gelsenkirchen, Germany:

1024px-Arena_auf_schalke_veltins_arena_gelsenkirchen_1.jpg

Roof and pitch
The Veltins-Arena features a Teflon-coated fiberglass canvas retractable roof, which spans the entire stadium. The roof is supported by a rectangular truss that is suspended above the field, which is in turn connected to the main building via 24 steel pylons. The center of the roof can be opened into two halves, allowing for an opened or covered stadium, depending on weather and event. To reduce the exterior noise of up to 105 decibels during concerts, a second layer of Teflon-coated fiberglass canvas was added over the first, creating a dampening air cushion. Hanging 25 metres (82 ft) over the center of the pitch are four video screens, each with a surface area of 35 square metres (380 sq ft). The centrally suspended scoreboard, similar to those found inside indoor sports arenas, was the first of its kind in football stadium, and has since been copied in the Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt and the Esprit Arena in Düsseldorf.​
Like the Sapporo Dome in Japan, the State Farm Stadium and Allegiant Stadium in the U.S. and the GelreDome in the Netherlands, the Veltins-Arena features a slide-out pitch. Supported by a 11,400-tonne (11,200-long-ton; 12,600-short-ton) substructure, the playing field can be moved in and out of the stadium within four hours. This has several advantages:​
  • The grass playing surface can grow under normal outside conditions without suffering from a lack of circulation and light as in other arenas.
  • The floor of the multi-functional hall can be converted and retro-fitted within a short amount of time.
  • The outside area that is not occupied by the field can be used as parking facilities for buses during football matches.
  • The football pitch is not damaged during indoor events such as concerts.

I read about 4-5 of those things today.. Many of them pointed out the increase in ACL in soccer and also how much more often it happens in girls soccer than boys. Socccer does make some sense with so many sliding type tackles to legs stuck out kicking a ball.
Women tear their ACL’s more than men in all sports. It’s due to them having a wider pelvis, which mean the thigh bones angle down more sharply putting more pressure on the inside of their knee.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom