Gary Andersen from Wisky to Oregon State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Andersen from Wisky to Oregon State

Most likely was caught red handed tanking the Ohio State game. :eek:

The minute I read that, I put my tinfoil cap on and thought maybe Bees was on to something. :rolling:

Oregon State rather than Wisconsin?!? Really, something's odd there.

Cheers,
Neil

If Wisconsin hires Paul Chryst if your Pitt you have to hire Bo Pelini don't you?
If Pitt got Pelini I think they would upgrade and do pretty well for themselves.

If Wisconsin hires Paul Chryst if your Pitt you have to hire Bo Pelini don't you?
If Pitt got Pelini I think they would upgrade and do pretty well for themselves.
Pelini currently looking at Youngstown State.

Pelini currently looking at Youngstown State.
He should sit on the year if he is looking at I-AA jobs. I realize he is from Youngstown and personally I would love an offensive coach as our next HC but if Pelini were available and we had an opening I would be interested in him as the next SU coach.

If the money is the same, why wouldn't you coach in Corvalis? Madison is beautiful in the summer and brutal in the winter.

He's a head coach in the PAC 12. Doesn't sound like a step down to me

longtimefan said:
I remember Jake C.'s comment that he (and every other D-I AD) always carried a list around with him.

I think Jake was full of it.

He had a list but hired his LB coach with no outside search? Doc had a list but hired Shafer without an outside search. Marrone was hired by committee, where was the list?

If the money is the same, why wouldn't you coach in Corvalis? Madison is beautiful in the summer and brutal in the winter.

Might be a Plus weather wise, but anytime you go from a Top 25 program to a Top 60 program (last 25 years), you are taking a step backwards to me. And in terms of divisional opponents, you only currently have Nebraska in the BiG. Got Oregon and Stanford in the way in the Pac 12 North.

Cheers,
Neil

Bielema makes a lateral move to the toughest division in CFB and then two years later Andersen takes a step back into one of the worst gigs in the PAC. Alvarez almost has to be the issue.

The SEC isn't a lateral move at all, and for Bielema's reason, well check the money at Arkansas.

Wisconsin usually has top 25 recruiting classes, OSU is lucky to be top 50.

Wisconsin is top 15 nationally in attendance.

Wisconsin has a chance to play for the B10 championship every year, while OSU has to leapfrog Oregon, Stanford and Washington to get a shot at it.

I am not saying he can't be successful at OSU, it just seems like a clear step down to me.

Push factors were at work here, not pull.

Well, we get to see Barry Alvarez on the sidelines again for a bowl game. This can be his new thing every 2-3 years.

Anderson probably got sick of the students arriving so late to games. Either that, or he wants to coach in front of half as many people at home games. Might just be a big Pinot Noir fan. Who knows.

Interesting take by Sports Illustrated, they say it's definitely salary related, "Scroll down the list of assistant coach pay packages published by USA Today. Along the way to Wisconsin – which among the schools that released data ranks 40th at $2,368,600 -- you pass Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska. You also pass Rutgers...Maybe the well runs only so deep for the flagship state university, but if that’s the case, then no one, least of all Alvarez, should be surprised when there’s a turnstile installed outside the head coach’s office."

http://www.si.com/college-football/...en-wisconsin-oregon-state-coach-barry-alvarez

The SEC isn't a lateral move at all, and for Bielema's reason, well check the money at Arkansas.

He only got a $400,000 raise in salary when he went to Arkansas. He went from dueling with Nebraska for a seat at the table to the division of death that is the SEC West. I say it is a lateral move.

something else interesting from the above linked article: "Wisconsin athletic director was back in Madison, saying his phone was “ringing off the hook.” And he’ll surely be able to peruse a list of candidates that could include former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, Pittsburghcoach and former Wisconsin assistant Paul Chryst, Miami coach Al Golden, Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson and Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi."

He only got a $400,000 raise in salary when he went to Arkansas. He went from dueling with Nebraska for a seat at the table to the division of death that is the SEC West. I say it is a lateral move.

400k is a pretty solid raise and if you get another million for asst coaches (remember McDonald took a pay cut to come to SU and he was a WR coach only) that's a good step up.

Wisconsin usually has top 25 recruiting classes, OSU is lucky to be top 50.

Wisconsin is top 15 nationally in attendance.

Wisconsin has a chance to play for the B10 championship every year, while OSU has to leapfrog Oregon, Stanford and Washington to get a shot at it.

I am not saying he can't be successful at OSU, it just seems like a clear step down to me.

Push factors were at work here, not pull.

all that and yet the money is still green. if he's making more (or even the same) and his staff can make more its not a step down.

400k is a pretty solid raise and if you get another million for asst coaches (remember McDonald took a pay cut to come to SU and he was a WR coach only) that's a good step up.

mcdonald did not take a pay cut. not as a coordinator.

arkansas is not a lateral move from wisky though

Have you ever been to Corvallis? It's a dump.

Madison is a really awesome college town. Not to mention the football programs aren't even close.

Absolutely a step back in every sense except $$$ (possibly). Could also be an administration issue.

Have you ever been to Corvallis? It's a dump.

Madison is a really awesome college town. Not to mention the football programs aren't even close.

Absolutely a step back in every sense except $$$ (possibly). Could also be an administration issue.

And it really shouldn't be a $$$ issue since Wisconsin is always in the Top 10 now in terms of athletic revenue generated while Oregon State doesn't even crack the Top 50.

If they can pay, SU has no excuse, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

Anderson has a better chance of winning in the Big 10 west than he does in the PAC north. Very suspicious move.