Gary Gait! | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

Sounded to me like he has a couple things in mind. A lacrosse festival is probably one of them but I can almost guarantee Gary wants the dome to host the lax Final Four. With AC in place, the dome can guarantee great weather and offers easy access to the lacrosse hotbeds in CNY and LI.

This needs to happen. Glad Gary is on board with the project,
and the Lemoyne team could just walk over for the DII Final !

U know I wondered sometimes why he wasn't hired sooner but now that he's here im ecstatic and have no doubt in my mind that syracuse lacrosse is back on top!!!!
Hope thats true but wait and see before going there.

Syracuse coaching changes are number one lacrosse story of 2021, according to IL.

Hope thats true but wait and see before going there.
Yea of course, im not claiming a title this coming year but a legend that played here at the helm!
Excites me for many reasons!

Guess I didn’t realize that Gait is an assistant coach for the Canadian Women’s team competing in the World Championships this summer (the games have already started). Lots of coaches work with national teams during the summer but it does seem odd that Gait would be coaching the women’s team.

I’m sure he wants to keep a foot in that world and more power to him but I guess it doesn’t help the perception on this board at least that he’s maybe not as focused as he should be. Anyways didn’t want to start a lot of drama but seemed worth pointing out.

Guess I didn’t realize that Gait is an assistant coach for the Canadian Women’s team competing in the World Championships this summer (the games have already started). Lots of coaches work with national teams during the summer but it does seem odd that Gait would be coaching the women’s team.

I’m sure he wants to keep a foot in that world and more power to him but I guess it doesn’t help the perception on this board at least that he’s maybe not as focused as he should be. Anyways didn’t want to start a lot of drama but seemed worth pointing out.

So Trainor is lauded for playing internationally, but Gait shouldn't coach? I am sure he can do both.

So Trainor is lauded for playing internationally, but Gait shouldn't coach? I am sure he can do both.
Yes. Just like K Train, Spalina, and the womens head coach, they all have regular jobs outside of this. Coach K and Boeheim coaching Olympics is no different.

I read that for Gait he was honoring a commitment that was made prior to him taking over the MLAX at SU.

I see no issue with an assistant coach doing this ;)

Honoring a commitment or not I have zero zero issue. As others said above coaches are doing other stuff all the time in the summer. He is obviously also grinding for the cuse team as well this offseason. Those portal commitments don't just magically appear.

Honoring a commitment or not I have zero zero issue. As others said above coaches are doing other stuff all the time in the summer. He is obviously also grinding for the cuse team as well this offseason. Those portal commitments don't just magically appear.

Yup. Coaches have to do this... the lax coaching community is like any other occupation. It's a smaller world than you think and you have to build and maintain stature in it. Unfortunately that sometimes means leaving your fiefdom to do other things in order to stay relevant.

Trainor's involvement with the US woman's program has a direct positive impact on the SU Women's program - the job she is paid to do. Gait's involvement with Canada's woman's program does not have a direct positive impact on the SU Men's program - the job he's paid to do.

Moreover, Gait had an epic poor 1st year and I would think he would focus exclusively on improving upon the 2022 season - the optics of him taking a month off to help the Canadian women might highlight what many of us who know him know - there's a large ego there with seemingly no one to tame it. During the 6 game streak at the end of 2022, he never took sole responsibility and often pointed towards lack of on-field talent - that must have made his players feel good about themselves. It's no wonder that Tucker left.

My recommendation is put the SU Men's Staff on a short leash for 2023. If there is not much improvement, make changes quickly. Now is not the time to try and play the long game. SU is still a top 10 destination for top recruits and transfers. If we see anything remotely like 2022 and the admin does not respond quickly, not only will recruits and transfers bail, but so will some of the current players - including the much heralded 2023 class.

Last edited:
Trainor's involvement with the US woman's program has a direct positive impact on the SU Women's program - the job she is paid to do. Gait's involvement with Canada's woman's program does not have a direct positive impact on the SU Men's program - the job he's paid to do.

Moreover, Gait had an epic poor 1st year and I would think he would focus exclusively on improving upon the 2022 season - the optics of him taking a month off to help the Canadian women might highlight what many of us who know him know - there's a large ego there with seemingly no one to tame it. During the 6 game streak at the end of 2022, he never took sole responsibility and often pointed towards lack of on-field talent - that must have made his players feel good about themselves. It's no wonder that Tucker left.

My recommendation is put the SU Men's Staff on a short leash for 2023. If there is not much improvement, make changes quickly. Now is not the time to try and play the long game. SU is still a top 10 destination for top recruits and transfers. If we see anything remotely like 2022 and the admin does not respond quickly, not only will recruits and transfers bail, but so will some of the current players - including the much heralded 2023 class.
Couldn’t help but respond to this post right below pictures of Coach at the convention all weekend instead of with his team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom