Gary Gait! | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

Petro is smart he knows that isn’t just going to be a DC.
Gait needs a coach who has experience with a level D-1 program.
Syracuse turns it around the next Ivy/Big Ten opening gets Petro on the list to be hired.

Here he isn’t just being a DC he is basically going to be Gait’s insurance policy.

If Gait can recruit he will be fine.

I will say this. I am excited for what the folks in Syracuse sports information department will do in the next year or so to sell this hire. Will be exciting stuff.

However...in terms of the actual coaching on the field, I am worried. Think about this: Gait had generational talents in girls like Rowan, Tumolo, Traenor, Hawyrschuk (sometimes on the same team) and NEVER won the big game. The men's team has not had an equivalent player since maybe Randy Staats? He'll be competing against those type players at UNC, UVA and Duke (much like Desko has been). I'm not sure he's really going to do a better job.

I will say this. I am excited for what the folks in Syracuse sports information department will do in the next year or so to sell this hire. Will be exciting stuff.

However...in terms of the actual coaching on the field, I am worried. Think about this: Gait had generational talents in girls like Tumolo, Traenor, Hawyrschuk (sometimes on the same team) and NEVER won the big game. The men's team has not had an equivalent player since maybe Randy Staats? He'll be competing against those type players at UNC, UVA and Duke (much like Desko has been). I'm not sure he's really going to do a better job.
If things pan out for certain players as predicted, then he has one generational talent already in the fold (Hiltz) and another generational talent on the way after next year (Spallina). We have not been consistently landing as many highly acclaimed guys compared to 10 years ago, but those two are almost guaranteed to do big things, and they will be on the same team for two years. I would be excited to see them play together no matter who the coach is, and feel for Desko that he won't get a chance to coach them together after putting in the work to recruit them, and after going through a time without that top of the line talent at attack (since Rice and Staats in 2015 like you mentioned).

No announcement regarding assistants. Would have been nice for Desko to get at least 24 hours of coverage, but the horse had definitely left the barn.

No announcement regarding assistants. Would have been nice for Desko to get at least 24 hours of coverage, but the horse had definitely left the barn.

The horse was in the next town over. Expect assistants over the next few days.

However...in terms of the actual coaching on the field, I am worried. Think about this: Gait had generational talents in girls like Rowan, Tumolo, Traenor, Hawyrschuk (sometimes on the same team) and NEVER won the big game. The men's team has not had an equivalent player since maybe Randy Staats? He'll be competing against those type players at UNC, UVA and Duke (much like Desko has been). I'm not sure he's really going to do a better job.
This past season he lost his two best players to injury (one considered maybe the best in the country) and found a way to get his team to the national title. The team filled holes with youth that took over without missing a beat.

This past season he lost his two best players to injury (one considered maybe the best in the country) and found a way to get his team to the national title. The team filled holes with youth that took over without missing a beat.
Not only that, but the reason he hasn't won the big games with the big named players is because he didn't have the right personnel. He made the best decision by getting rid of Thorpe and bringing in Defliese, then later bringing in Pirreca. Had Hawryschuk and Carney not been injured this year, we would have won in that championship game.

No idea how well he will be at coaching the men-- but he's coming off of his best coaching season. Hope it works out well for him on the men's side, for the sake of the men's program. In order for him to do anything next year, he's gonna have to hit that portal hard.

Last edited:

Shouldn’t generational talents have won a player of the year? Asking for a novice.

I guess I’d want to hear something more definitive from Spallina but maybe something is getting lost in translation.

“Joey Spallina, a 5-star junior attack out of Mt. Sinai on Long Island, confirmed Monday night that he remains solid with his commitment to SU despite its coaching change from John Desko to Gary Gait. Spallina said he will likely take some time to mull whatever options may now arise with other schools checking his commitment, but he didn’t sound like a prospect actively pursuing a new open market.”

I guess I’d want to hear something more definitive from Spallina but maybe something is getting lost in translation.

“Joey Spallina, a 5-star junior attack out of Mt. Sinai on Long Island, confirmed Monday night that he remains solid with his commitment to SU despite its coaching change from John Desko to Gary Gait. Spallina said he will likely take some time to mull whatever options may now arise with other schools checking his commitment, but he didn’t sound like a prospect actively pursuing a new open market.”

I wouldn't read much into that, I would be shocked if Spallina decommitted. I wouldn't put it as a 100% lock because crazy stuff happens in D1 sports but it's as close to that as you can get. I will say that it does appear Spallina is a bigger Desko fan that I initially surmised. Again don't think thats an issue but he was clearly a huge fan. The main takeways from that article are that Desko called him on Sunday to discuss (class guy) and make sure he heard it from the horses mouth and Gait called today. I will say that the comment about mulling some options that may now come up isn't exactly what you want to hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom