Gary Gait! | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

I am still trying to collect my thoughts, but overall I think this is an exciting hire and one that certainly injects some life into the Syracuse lacrosse program. I understand the trepidation by others on this board, and I'm not sure I can talk anyone out of that trepidation, because quite frankly, this is all very risky. But surveying the lacrosse landscape right now I think it is a very good move.

I personally think hiring Shay would have been a home run choice and the clear number one, but we don't know if he was ever offered or pursued, or what happened there. The way I see it, there are four coaches who I would consider the "best" in the sport right now - Danowski at Duke, Tillman at Maryland, Tiffany at UVA, and Shay at Yale. For various reasons I don't think any of them (taking Shay out) would come to Syracuse. So SU would be left with a lot of candidates who I would personally be kind of ho hum about. We've listed them endlessly here so I won't rehash, but they would all have question marks and certainly none of the them would be "sure things".

With Gait, you certainly have excitement and you certainly have buzz. I don't think any hire would create the sort of reaction this one is garnering from the larger lacrosse world. Of course this does not win you games, but I have to think that this sort of energy has to be a positive, not just on the recruiting trail, but also in the locker room and on the field. Something like this can't be measured but its just a feeling I have.

I also like the makeup of this (potential) staff. Having someone like March on the staff I think is a huge deal. His arrival was one of the main reasons Syracuse's fortune in recruiting picked up and having him stay can only help make sure this '22 class sticks together. Plus he can certainly be a bridge from the old regime to the new. Others have been down on him this year due to on field performance, but I think he's still a very talented coach. Petro is obviously a wild card here, but I really think he can help fill in the gaps that Gait might have, seeing as there aren't many other 2x National Champion winning coaches wanting to be a coordinator. Plus you have to imagine that he'll be very motivated after the dismissal from Hopkins. I think its certainly worth the "risk" to bring someone like him in. Plus it's an added bonus to know a former Hopkins legend is working for the enemy!

Another huge story line is of course his son Dom - nation's number two recruit behind Spallina who is apparently good friends with the Syracuse commit. Maybe he really likes UNC that much, maybe he wants to get out of his father's shadow - but seeing that SU was already a top four school for him, it would seem like a huge draw.

This was also brought up on another message board - but do children of athletic coaches get free tuition for the Orange? If Spallina is the coach of the Women's team that could free up significant scholarship dollars. Add in the son or sons from the Defense Coordinator? That could be another very big consideration. I'm guessing there are rules to this, but I had to ask.

Lastly, in regards to the timing of this and the leak - I know it wasn't great and I frankly wish things had been different. For one thing, it would have been nice of Inside Lacrosse to put Dekso's picture on their article instead of just Gait. He deserves a lot more attention than what he's getting. I hope the SU media department is working very hard on a tribute to one of the best coaches of all time.

That said, I am glad they have someone lined up already and aren't going to take a month to do a search. With the way the season ended I think opposing coaches would have been all over the '22 class, and the new coaches would have been way behind when it comes to the '23 class as well, not to mention transfers which already are being picked up. Now hopefully Gait and co can hit the ground running and build on this momentum. He certainly has some right now.

FWIW, I mentioned this change to my 14 year old last night, and I asked him if he knew who Gary Gait is. The kid looked at me with disgust and barked "Of course I know who Gary Gait is!". So there's that.

I am still trying to collect my thoughts, but overall I think this is an exciting hire and one that certainly injects some life into the Syracuse lacrosse program. I understand the trepidation by others on this board, and I'm not sure I can talk anyone out of that trepidation, because quite frankly, this is all very risky. But surveying the lacrosse landscape right now I think it is a very good move.

I personally think hiring Shay would have been a home run choice and the clear number one, but we don't know if he was ever offered or pursued, or what happened there. The way I see it, there are four coaches who I would consider the "best" in the sport right now - Danowski at Duke, Tillman at Maryland, Tiffany at UVA, and Shay at Yale. For various reasons I don't think any of them (taking Shay out) would come to Syracuse. So SU would be left with a lot of candidates who I would personally be kind of ho hum about. We've listed them endlessly here so I won't rehash, but they would all have question marks and certainly none of the them would be "sure things".

With Gait, you certainly have excitement and you certainly have buzz. I don't think any hire would create the sort of reaction this one is garnering from the larger lacrosse world. Of course this does not win you games, but I have to think that this sort of energy has to be a positive, not just on the recruiting trail, but also in the locker room and on the field. Something like this can't be measured but its just a feeling I have.

I also like the makeup of this (potential) staff. Having someone like March on the staff I think is a huge deal. His arrival was one of the main reasons Syracuse's fortune in recruiting picked up and having him stay can only help make sure this '22 class sticks together. Plus he can certainly be a bridge from the old regime to the new. Others have been down on him this year due to on field performance, but I think he's still a very talented coach. Petro is obviously a wild card here, but I really think he can help fill in the gaps that Gait might have, seeing as there aren't many other 2x National Champion winning coaches wanting to be a coordinator. Plus you have to imagine that he'll be very motivated after the dismissal from Hopkins. I think its certainly worth the "risk" to bring someone like him in. Plus it's an added bonus to know a former Hopkins legend is working for the enemy!

Another huge story line is of course his son Dom - nation's number two recruit behind Spallina who is apparently good friends with the Syracuse commit. Maybe he really likes UNC that much, maybe he wants to get out of his father's shadow - but seeing that SU was already a top four school for him, it would seem like a huge draw.

This was also brought up on another message board - but do children of athletic coaches get free tuition for the Orange? If Spallina is the coach of the Women's team that could free up significant scholarship dollars. Add in the son or sons from the Defense Coordinator? That could be another very big consideration. I'm guessing there are rules to this, but I had to ask.

Lastly, in regards to the timing of this and the leak - I know it wasn't great and I frankly wish things had been different. For one thing, it would have been nice of Inside Lacrosse to put Dekso's picture on their article instead of just Gait. He deserves a lot more attention than what he's getting. I hope the SU media department is working very hard on a tribute to one of the best coaches of all time.

That said, I am glad they have someone lined up already and aren't going to take a month to do a search. With the way the season ended I think opposing coaches would have been all over the '22 class, and the new coaches would have been way behind when it comes to the '23 class as well, not to mention transfers which already are being picked up. Now hopefully Gait and co can hit the ground running and build on this momentum. He certainly has some right now.
I think keeping March is a good conservative choice to somewhat cancel out the aggressive move of bringing in Gait. March represents new positive changes to the program and has been a hell of a recruiter right from the get go. He was both trying to run his offensive sets with players he did not recruit who had been under Donahue for years, and most importantly he has never had a real shot at getting settled in. In his first year everything is immediately cut short after only 5 games due to covid and then last year there is absolutely no preseason of any kind, not to mention suspensions and expulsion concerns with the teams top offensive players. Would be very disappointed if he was asked to leave as well after only getting his feet wet.

My initial hostility to the news is mainly because I was hoping Desko could get one more shot. It’s tough to see him go after a year with so many different obstacles in his way, main two being the Scanlan situation and going from the best faceoff group in the acc to the worst due to a sudden rule change. Changes like bringing in March and our top recruiting class in a decade (that also takes advantage of hot bed areas like MD and LI that we have wanted to see more of for a while) demonstrate to me that he was still working like hell to keep the program where it was.

I think you are spot on about the top tier of 4 coaches and everyone after them being murky waters. I am not totally sold but I am happier about this than if we brought in the someone like Chemotti from Richmond or Casesse from Lehigh.

Everybody likes the move (well, most everybody).

People are mad because of the way the news broke.

Obviously Desko and JW had a meeting of the minds last week. I'm pretty sure that Desko didn't find out he was retiring by reading twitter last night.

I'm assuming that Desko had a chance to address the team before they scattered to the winds for Summer break. At least I hope so. Some other poster claimed that the team was excited about the changes, so hopefully most of them were told.

I'm also assuming that Gait had the chance to talk to his team as well.

If we started interviewing candidates for the WLAX job, you've got even more people involved in trying to keep this a secret.

Clearly, someone talked out of turn.

Damned impossible to get the SU PR machine cranked up at 7 PM on a Sunday night to issue an official communique.
Bingo. They were not only making one change but two. And apparently the second involved a recruiting firm too of some kind. This was bound to leak. Surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

I get the frustration with the way this seems to be happening, but many companies move on from principal level employees after 30+ years of service. It is never fun to see, but sometimes necessary.

The part I bolded is the part that confuses me about your statement most. Gary Gait hasn't been through the system? Gary Gait, SU women's lax coach for the last 14 years and an alum doesn't understand life on the hill?
I meant that if a younger coach came in they would have had to have been close to the program.

It’s a big step with our history! I have never hated Desko he’s always been very nice to me and always very open and kind! I wish him all the best going forward and I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement.

The men’s game has changed a lot over the last 10-15 years and you will have had to have been part of mens programs during that time, Gary has not and his success in the future will be based on the staff he puts together.

I am a huge believer in recruiting to a model and to use successful teams as a blueprint. Especially at Syracuse - Not recruit attack men to play midfield or LSM at Close or off middies at SSDM etc etc. That’s not smart recruitment. Joel White to LSM I’ll allow but you can’t do this all the time.

The other issue with recruitment is that this comes down to the school itself and the courses they provide! Decisions made by players are based on money and spots available, environment, academics and future corporate networks. This does not change.

I don’t disagree with people being behind this move, that is their opinion. In Sports a lot of very successful Coaches and managers have been fired to be replaced by people that are not successful and last half as long which creates a carousel of Coaches coming in until you find the right fit. Be careful what you wish for.

so you think it is wildhack that is the source of the stories and rumors? These “sources” may be in the Desko camp. May be in the Gait camp. Who knows right now.
Huh? What did I type that hinted at that?

The Employee Assistance Program covers university employees and allowing their children to have free tuition!

I like this hire, but Gretzky is a bad example, he was not a good coach! Some really good/great players simply cannot translate that talent into coaching, precisely because the "game" came so easy to them. It does not seem like Gait falls into this category however.
Absolutely right- not a good coach at all. The point I was disagreeing with is that kids today don't know Gait's name or his legendary status. He's the Gretzky, Jordan, Kasparov, Ernie McCracken, etc.

I meant that if a younger coach came in they would have had to have been close to the program.

It’s a big step with our history! I have never hated Desko he’s always been very nice to me and always very open and kind! I wish him all the best going forward and I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement.

The men’s game has changed a lot over the last 10-15 years and you will have had to have been part of mens programs during that time, Gary has not and his success in the future will be based on the staff he puts together.

I am a huge believer in recruiting to a model and to use successful teams as a blueprint. Especially at Syracuse - Not recruit attack men to play midfield or LSM at Close or off middies at SSDM etc etc. That’s not smart recruitment. Joel White to LSM I’ll allow but you can’t do this all the time.

The other issue with recruitment is that this comes down to the school itself and the courses they provide! Decisions made by players are based on money and spots available, environment, academics and future corporate networks. This does not change.

I don’t disagree with people being behind this move, that is their opinion. In Sports a lot of very successful Coaches and managers have been fired to be replaced by people that are not successful and last half as long which creates a carousel of Coaches coming in until you find the right fit. Be careful what you wish for.
Feels like a crucial moment for the program. Right now it is easy to feel like we are riding high with this hire given his status as a god in the sport and his success as a coach in the women's game. It's true that as of now his legendary status could lead to a great deal of interest from potential recruits, but if we do something like miss the playoffs two years in a row as he is getting settled in, then a lot of that interest due to name recognition gets canceled out, especially with the disappointing results in the previous years before he arrived. His reputation feels untouchable now but that can all change very quickly.

Best case scenario is a passable season next year (if we make the playoffs I'm happy, given who we lose and current talent issues with D and FOGOs) and a good one the year after, with the massivley talented freshman '22 class making an impact right out of the gate. That leads to some good recruiting in the '23 class and we just keep riding the wave of talent coming in to a championship weekend. I am hoping the hype surrounding the program and the nature of the hire leads to minimal transfers from our guys and hopefully some positive interest from guys in the transfer portal. Every analyst and lax personality on social media seems to love the hire and that seems to matter more and more these days. It's an uphill battle. MD is still going to MD. ACC is still going to ACC. Anyone who thinks it isn't simply has not been following lax.

I cannot get my head around Petro as an assistant at SU. He was the best defenseman that ever played the game and a celebrated head coach at SU's worst enemy several years ago. A very proud man. Could he subordinate himself to Gait? I would love to be a fly on the wall during coaches' meetings. Would they not end with GG and Petro grabbing crosses and heading for field to decapitate each other. God, what fun.

Most recruits' parents weren't even married (or had even met) when GG played his last game in college.

The only doors that will be opened are from HS coaches who played around the same time.

Now will that make a difference? Who knows? It just might. I just have a hard time believing most HS kids today know who GG is, other than from old-timers speak glowingly about him, and that he coaches the Women's team.

Don't get me wrong. I fervently hope this is a good move. I pray this is a good move. I'm just not sold.

Lacrosse recruiting is different than any other sport. Hard to explain but the history of the game is revered. The 'only doors open' thing is literally everyone who is coaching in the game today. Literally everyone.

Lars summed it up nicely last week and this might mostly apply to CNY but someone like Gait was the root of the modern day game. He's literally one of the greatest lacrosse players to every play the game. Kids and coach no matter where they are CT, CO, MA, GA they know who Gait is. He has a brand (even has an equipment line with his name.)

“The roots of the game are well understood here, thus lacrosse is more meaningful, possessing a higher cause,” Tiffany said this week. “Us Central New Yorkers understand why the game is in our lives and how to honor it. The people of the Onondaga Nation shared lacrosse with us many generations ago. In Upstate NY, we will not forget this.”

*I have no opinion on Gait as the 'Cuse head coach (I wanted Shay) but it's silly to think he doesn't know the game or that he won't be able recruit.

Bingo. They were not only making one change but two. And apparently the second involved a recruiting firm too of some kind. This was bound to leak. Surprised it didn’t happen sooner.
Terry Foy in his podcast this morning basically confirmed your statement that Kayla has NOT been offered the job as of this morning. That could certainly change as the week moves forward.

If true, Simmons III retiring is a big loss . Overlooked and underrated pillar.

Long history serving Cuse program so well in every position and function he filled.

He is a legend in his own right, brightened the room with his personality, acumen and supportive ways.

His departure would deflate many since he's beloved by all and would certainly be missed.

If true, Simmons III retiring is a big loss . Overlooked and underrated pillar.

Long history serving Cuse program so well in every position and function he filled.

He is a legend in his own right, brightened the room with his personality, acumen and supportive ways.

His departure would deflate many since he's beloved by all and would certainly be missed.

Should not be understated how key to RSIII is/was to this program. Those are big shoes to fill with everything that goes into not only a power 5 program, but a program like Syracuse with the media/eyes on it 24/7. He keeps that train running

I think Gait will be thrilled to coach a defense that can hit and check without getting whistled for a penalty every 20 seconds.

I couldn't agree more. For me, IMO, especially after watching a bit of that title game between the SU and BC women, makes it practically unbearable to watch.

This is a great listen. Quint really does a great job on this analysis
Quint encouraging Petro to take the SU DC gig surprised me.

I like to occasionally poke fun at him but he has some informed, reasonable takes not just on Gait/Petro/SU but also recruiting NY talent in this podcast.

Very good listen, indeed.

If he was pushed and did not retire voluntarily it’s quite sad. Desko may have struggled without his friend and ally Donahue in the last year but they wboth great servants to the program.

I worry that we are swapping an ageing coach with another ageing coach and one that has no experience of the Men’s game in recent times, the game has changed dramatically!

If we are updating our coaching staff and with it completely changing our tradition, it should have been someone younger who has been through the system and understands life on the hill.

A huge thank you to Coach Desko who has left an amazing legacy of All Americans, Championship rings and Coach of the year titles.
Didn't know that Lacrosse was equivalent to quantum physics. It must be tough that someone who grew up playing, is arguable the greatest ever, who has never left lacrosse in general, just can't pick up on any changes that have come along.
I also find it very said that Gary never had any discussions with Desko and his staff about the changes in lacrosse and how best to handle them. Seems to me to be a huge waste of a valuable resource by Desko and Company.

Last edited:

Bit of a good news bad news in this article. Bad news is that this makes it sound like Desko was down in Spallina-land acting fully as head coach and made no sort of comments to them about his decision to retire a few days later. They claim in the article that Joe Spallina says Desko essentially "gave no indication at that point he was retiring" but they also do not have any exact quote. Not a great look to say the least unless you want to believe that Desko just did a lot of thinking after the Spallina visit (unlikely).

The good news is apparently they talked to Kempney who said that he and "his fellow recruits" in the 2022 class are "excited to play for Gait." That's cool!!

Bit of a good news bad news in this article. Bad news is that this makes it sound like Desko was down in Spallina-land acting fully as head coach and made no sort of comments to them about his decision to retire a few days later. They claim in the article that Joe Spallina says Desko essentially "gave no indication at that point he was retiring" but they also do not have any exact quote. Not a great look to say the least unless you want to believe that Desko just did a lot of thinking after the Spallina visit (unlikely).

The good news is apparently they talked to Kempney who said that he and "his fellow recruits" in the 2022 class are "excited to play for Gait." That's cool!!

Coach speak from Spallina, they knew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom