Gary Gait! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

My kid plays but more importantly I’m around a lot of parents whose kids play at big high school programs - men’s and women. And college now. They talk about Gait like he’s a god.

I’ll preface this by noting that I know very little about lacrosse. My 14 year old plays it, and a ton of the coaches in both his town and club programs are former college players, as are nearly all of the local high school coaches. I imagine to a man they all revere Gait.

I doubt any high schoolers know most any lacrosse player older than 25, given the weakness of the pro game. But like you said, all their coaches do, and I have to think precisely none of them will not take a call from Gait.

I don’t know if Gait will be good, but we had to do something. I went to the final four last weekend, and it was so damn depressing to know that SU hadn’t appeared in one in 12 years. Just not acceptable for a program like ours. Change was needed.
As I said, I hope he succeeds. I just think that many are assuming this is a slam dunk. I hope it is. But I have my concerns. That's all.

Super excited!!! Sorry, but women’s lax is JV to the men’s game. Time for Gary to move to the Varsity team.
Have you even watched a minute of WLAX in 2021? The women's game has come a long way (thanks to Gary). Plus the women's game is full of ballers that play just as tough and can snipe it just as hard as the men. Might want to reevaluate your statement, bud.

I will miss Desko immensely he is a legend he deserved to go out much better then this. With that said I have very publicly endorsed Gait for the job his leadership skills have grown incredibly since taking the women’s coaching position he is the best choice for the job!

Most recruits' parents weren't even married (or had even met) when GG played his last game in college.

The only doors that will be opened are from HS coaches who played around the same time.

Now will that make a difference? Who knows? It just might. I just have a hard time believing most HS kids today know who GG is, other than from old-timers speak glowingly about him, and that he coaches the Women's team.

Don't get me wrong. I fervently hope this is a good move. I pray this is a good move. I'm just not sold.
They know who Gait is. He's the Michael Jordan of the sport.

We replace Desko with a gamble. A major major gamble. Were we in such bad shape that we needed to go gambling like this next year? My opinion is no.
Have you seen the results the last eight years. The team was in complete distinction this year. The team revolted over the scallion situation then it blew up in deskos face. Change needed to come. I’ll take a gamble on a legend that shown he can take a program and turn it into a winner.

Will we have an even better shot at the top Canadian talent with GG?

Bigger question is, does he keep wearing suits on the sideline?
Yes it’s Canadian tradition I would love to see Regy Thorpe as his defensive coordinator not sure how rooted he is at Pitt

The fact that he is Gary Gait is not a positive on its own. The main positive he has going for him is his considerable success as a head coach in the women’s game. Being an all time elite player is not a golden ticket to elite coaching. It’s not like that for basketball or football and it’s not like that for lax.
But, he’s a proven coach and who he is should be a plus for recruiting

Yes it’s Canadian tradition I would love to see Regy Thorpe as his defensive coordinator not sure how rooted he is at Pitt
No you dont lol. He's fine right where he is. I'm sure he will do a fine job helping bring that program up to ACC WLAX standards for their inaugural season next year.

Everybody’s hearing rumors,” the older Spallina said. “It’s obviously getting pretty wild. We love Coach Desko. We’re shocked. He’s a great man.”

Spallina said did not want to speak for his son regarding whether a change would impact his commitment, but he said Joe has a good relationship with Gary Gait.

____
Unless he’s playing coy, sounds like he might not be involved on the women’s side yet.

Last edited:
No you dont lol. He's fine right where he is. I'm sure he will do a fine job helping bring that program up to ACC WLAX standards for their inaugural season next year.
Actually I do find me any player who has ever played for him who doesn’t adore him. He has massive ties to the native communities coaching Lafayette Six Nations and Iroquois Nationals

Actually I do find me any player who has ever played for him who doesn’t adore him. He has massive ties to the native communities coaching Lafayette Six Nations and Iroquois Nationals
Thats all good and fine but I assure you that you will be regretting that decision if it were to ever happen. Which I don't think it ever will. Regy was already on staff with Gait for the women's team and Regy "resigned" for an NLL HC gig which only lasted a season, now he's at Pitt.

My kid plays but more importantly I’m around a lot of parents whose kids play at big high school programs - men’s and women. And college now. They talk about Gait like he’s a god.
I just saw the news and told my son. His response was, paraphrasing, ‘wait - the women’s team coach who jumped from the back of the crease and they had to change the rules? Cool, the guts team looked lost on the field this year.’ He’s 12 and has only been playing a couple years. If you don’t think Gary Gait is still relevant to kids today you aren’t paying attention.

Home run hire. He's the Michael Jordan of lacrosse with current ties everywhere. I'd doubt if Gait wasn't part of recruiting trips to begin with. Do you think Desko wasn't having kids meet the legend especially when using his number as a recruiting tool. Another HUGE benefit we have a women's coach stepping in on the heals of a domestic violence debacle. You don't think it would be an uphill battle when recruits mothers visit? As said he still has great ties into Canada and 6 nations as well. A head coach is the CEO and by all all accounts he's already planning on surrounding himself with great support staff

I just saw the news and told my son. His response was, paraphrasing, ‘wait - the women’s team coach who jumped from the back of the crease and they had to change the rules? Cool, the guts team looked lost on the field this year.’ He’s 12 and has only been playing a couple years. If you don’t think Gary Gait is still relevant to kids today you aren’t paying attention.

If he brings in Petro, the PLL awards will be named after SU's two current coaches, and two Orange legends. I feel like that could potentially resonate with the younger generation. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom