Gbinije can be recruited by 'Cuse... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije can be recruited by 'Cuse...

Some things I notice about Gbinije while playing the game (caveat: old highlight type video)

He seems to watch his dribble a lot, which didn't stop him from going right around his high school opponents, but might cause him to lose a lot of balls or fail to penetrate at a higher level. You just don't see a lot of good players look for the ball while dribbling. It is the sort of thing someone might do while playing pickup basketball. It is really weird to see this problem during a highlight package for a top recruit.

Gbinije's jump shot seems to come off very low and very slow. He is tall and has good jumping ability, but has a methodical shot at times. Other times he gets very high on his jump shot. I wonder if this is evolution of his skills or situational. Even with a slow jump shot, hitting open shots is a huge talent in any level of basketball.

I just watched a bunch of highlights and I disagree on some of this. His shot was a little slow but not too bad. I thought his release was pretty high. He shoots from over his head which is probably why it's slow. I noticed he looks down at his dribble sometimes but it was more of a quick glance down. It didn't seem like to me that he watched it the whole time. Looked like he had his head up and when he went through traffic he would look down briefly.

This kid would be at worst a Duany type of defensive player and hit open shots. I think he will probably be much better. With Triche leaving next year and possibly MCW we could be thin at guard in 2013 so he would be great to have.

I'm thinking Trevor Cooney, actually. He's capable of the pull up 3 and can throw down with authority. He's a lot more athletic than most people will give him credit for at first glance.
I'm excited to see what TC can do. I think I will enjoy watching him grow through the years, that started with the excellent use of his RS.

The Duke kid seems like a problem for Cooney and his playing time. This year Cooney is supposed to be the 3rd guard and the year after BT graduates it becomes 3 years of Whitehot. SU has the SG covered for the next 3-4 years. You get TC's replacement 2-3 years out, not now.

I am not seeing why people think this Duke kid is such a good fit, I don't see it. He's leaving Duke over PT issues. So is he eyeing TC's minutes? Tell him to take a hike, TC has already been putting in his dues. I want the successor to TC to develop the same way as TC, maybe without the RS which was extreme. But get a top 50ish kid who comes in as a frosh when TC is a senior and spends a year as a backup, then grows into the position.

Bringing in a transfer that looks to be the same as TC, doesn't seem to have that much benefit to me. We're finally getting a great character team, filled with people who have paid their dues like MCW and TC, and you want to add in a whiny transfer. Why, do you really think he is better than TC? The duke kid would have 2 eligible years left, right in the meat of the TC era.

It's just a bad sign. SU is now taking top 50 recruits (it has notched up) who will wait a year before taking the reigns from the graduating senior. These are good players who when signing up realize they are most likely paying their dues for a year. MCW, TC, and now Grant. Don't deviate from this great strategy by succombing to the temptation of some highly regarded Duke problem, he's not worth it. Stay the course, we are in the golden age.

Based on nothing but hunch, I'd love to see this guy pick us.

How do you say his name? I read it like Guh-Bin-Gee but I don't think that's right.

Based on nothing but hunch, I'd love to see this guy pick us.

How do you say his name? I read it like Guh-Bin-Gee but I don't think that's right.

Bin In Jay?

I'm excited to see what TC can do. I think I will enjoy watching him grow through the years, that started with the excellent use of his RS.

The Duke kid seems like a problem for Cooney and his playing time. This year Cooney is supposed to be the 3rd guard and the year after BT graduates it becomes 3 years of Whitehot. SU has the SG covered for the next 3-4 years. You get TC's replacement 2-3 years out, not now.

I am not seeing why people think this Duke kid is such a good fit, I don't see it. He's leaving Duke over PT issues. So is he eyeing TC's minutes? Tell him to take a hike, TC has already been putting in his dues. I want the successor to TC to develop the same way as TC, maybe without the RS which was extreme. But get a top 50ish kid who comes in as a frosh when TC is a senior and spends a year as a backup, then grows into the position.

Bringing in a transfer that looks to be the same as TC, doesn't seem to have that much benefit to me. We're finally getting a great character team, filled with people who have paid their dues like MCW and TC, and you want to add in a whiny transfer. Why, do you really think he is better than TC? The duke kid would have 2 eligible years left, right in the meat of the TC era.

It's just a bad sign. SU is now taking top 50 recruits (it has notched up) who will wait a year before taking the reigns from the graduating senior. These are good players who when signing up realize they are most likely paying their dues for a year. MCW, TC, and now Grant. Don't deviate from this great strategy by succombing to the temptation of some highly regarded Duke problem, he's not worth it. Stay the course, we are in the golden age.

What if Cooney gets hurt? What's behind him? Nada...

That alone is reason enough for me to think it would be a good pick-up. Each could get 15 to 25 minutes each game, depending upon who is "on". They stay fresh and can play 100%. Sounds good to me.

I'm not really following your thought process. People are high on him, but White Hot is pretty much a complete unknown. We have no idea how he's going to respond to playing time, or if he's a guy you'd even want to lock in as a three year starter and say that the position is strong enough to put off recruiting someone that can compete. I get that you like the story though.

You seem really down on Gibinije due to the fact that he wants to transfer. We don't really know enough about him to say that he's a bad apple, at least just based on his interest in transferring.

Talent wins in college hoops. Gibinije has talent, and seems to be uniquely suited to our style of play. He wouldn't need to be Wes Johnson to be a good transfer. I'd like to see him in Orange.

We had three guards this year. Each average over 20 minutes a game. In 2013 we lose Triche. That leaves us with Cooney and MCW. Hopefully we bring in Ennis but he will be a freshman PG. Also MCW could go pro like DIon just did which would leave us with Cooney and Ennis (if he comes here). There would be plenty of playing time for each.

Also this guy is 6'6" so he could play some SF if needed. We would have Grant and Fair at the foward spots so he could come in at SF or SG when needed. Seems like he would be perfect.

And if he is beating out Cooney after Cooney had a full year as the 3rd guard getting 15-20min then this kid is good and the better player.

I'm not really following your thought process. People are high on him, but White Hot is pretty much a complete unknown. We have no idea how he's going to respond to playing time, or if he's a guy you'd even want to lock in as a three year starter and say that the position is strong enough to put off recruiting someone that can compete. I get that you like the story though.

You seem really down on Gibinije due to the fact that he wants to transfer. We don't really know enough about him to say that he's a bad apple, at least just based on his interest in transferring.

Talent wins in college hoops. Gibinije has talent, and seems to be uniquely suited to our style of play. He wouldn't need to be Wes Johnson to be a good transfer. I'd like to see him in Orange.
I'm just concerned with chemistry. I do have high hopes for Cooney. I do want Cooney to succeed in part because of how the story is developing.

I can see the need for more guards. I see the need for at least a backup. I disagree with TC being an unknown though. Maybe to us, but the staff should know what they have.

You, along with some others, seem pretty high on Gibinije. Do you think he is better than Cooney?

My concern with him being a transfer is that he is looking for starters minutes. If he is pretty much the same player as TC, I would rather have TC start. If TC does start and the Dukie doesn't like it, then what does he do?

I'm just concerned with chemistry. I do have high hopes for Cooney. I do want Cooney to succeed in part because of how the story is developing.

I can see the need for more guards. I see the need for at least a backup. I disagree with TC being an unknown though. Maybe to us, but the staff should know what they have.

You, along with some others, seem pretty high on Gibinije. Do you think he is better than Cooney?

My concern with him being a transfer is that he is looking for starters minutes. If he is pretty much the same player as TC, I would rather have TC start. If TC does start and the Dukie doesn't like it, then what does he do?

I think the PT concerns are a bit overblown, but I will concede that Gbinije's presence could limit Syracuse's ability to recruit a SG in the class of 2013 who could potentially be better than Gbinije. With that said, the guy was rated 35th overall coming out of HS, so I think it would be hard to complain if the guy chooses Syracuse

Craig Forth supposedly was a much different player in practice than he was under the lights. I have no doubt that the staff has a great handle on Cooney's talent, but I guess my stance is more conservative in that you can't really be sure what you've got until the guy is in real games against real opponents.:noidea:

Plus, while I'm sure they are high on Cooney, we were really interested in Gbinje when he was in highschool, and we're interested now if the reports are true. Not to say Cooney was a consolation prize, but maybe the staff evaluated Gbinje higher and just didn't land him.

I think he might be, but I don't really know. I'm getting caught up in the numbers a little - 2 guards on roster for Gbinje's first year of eligibility + #29 ranking + 6'6' = something to maybe get excited about.

Yeah, I think on your last point you run into that with nearly everybody, so I don't worry all that much.

Yeah, I think on your last point you run into that with nearly everybody, so I don't worry all that much.
Appreciate the info. I guess I should let the staff know, I'm now okay with this.

Adding a quality good sized guard does make sense. JB will hopefully be able to make it work PT wise. If he gets really good JB will get him in there. And the guy would have to pay his dues by sitting out a year. Then you get the advantage of having an older player out there.

I believe the next school he plays for will be his 6th in 6 years. Never a good sign.

I understand the sentiment regarding maybe not being fair to Cooney, and why bring him on board when we have Cooney, but the guy was top 30 by espn and scout if I recall. The kid can play and has had a year of coaching and work under Coach K. I'm real excited for Cooney as everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say about him, but we haven't seen him actually play in games yet. Two guys on top of that zone who are athletic and over 6'5, I'll take that any day.

Cooney will be more of a "1.75" guard - pure shooter, but he can handle, and could play PG for a short period in a pinch.

Gbinijie is a SG/SF that SU wants to play the SG and SF in a specialty lineup.

The difference between SU and Dook is Dook wanted MG as a 3 and SU wants him as a 2. Think about it.

My philosophy is that you should bring in the best players you can every year, regardless of who is on the depth chart ahead of them. And if the players with more seniority get beat out by newcomers who are even more talented, it is a great situation for the team.

Nothing against Cooney--I hope he is the second coming for SU. But if gets beaten out by this kid or any other recruit, that's life.

And if there is a class of 2013 prospect out there that the staff feels is a better player or would be a better fit than this Duke transfer, then I hope they go that route instead. Otherwise, I see no downside to taking Gbinije.

I understand the sentiment regarding maybe not being fair to Cooney, and why bring him on board when we have Cooney, but the guy was top 30 by espn and scout if I recall. The kid can play and has had a year of coaching and work under Coach K. I'm real excited for Cooney as everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say about him, but we haven't seen him actually play in games yet. Two guys on top of that zone who are athletic and over 6'5, I'll take that any day.

Yah.
The high school video that Francis (?) posted certainly impressed me. It was like watching a mature Dwyane Wade out there. I'm hoping like heck we can get him. The kid has no choice but to make it work this go'round. The added incentive is a bonus.