Gbinije Leaving Duke - Cuse interested | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije Leaving Duke - Cuse interested

Doubt Coach K would approve him to go here when we will be in the ACC when he is eligible to play. The only hope is that JB and Coach K's friendship makes it a non issue. (doubtful)

If he however does end up here, I think it would be a massive get. We will need another wing when Dirty leaves and another Guard when Triche leaves. (hope MCW stays). He would be able to fill both those gaps as a 2/3 combo.

He fills exactly what we are looking for in a 2 guard and small forward- big, athletic, shooter. He would be imo a much much more polished Paul Harris (he can play both wing and guard).

Wont the kid pretty much be a "free agent" when the semesters up? Schollys are year to year so hes no longer dukes property or am i missing something and from reading the article it looks like k gave him his blessing to go wherever he wants, you cant restrict a player from transferring

I think he'd be a real nice surprise pick up. Syracuse can also have him follow the Cooney blue print on how to approach your "year off", as it sounds like Cooney really maximized his. I hope K gives us the green light, but if I were to look at it from a neutral third party I really don't see any reason why he would.

I think he'd be a real nice surprise pick up. Syracuse can also have him follow the Cooney blue print on how to approach your "year off", as it sounds like Cooney really maximized his. I hope K gives us the green light, but if I were to look at it from a neutral third party I really don't see any reason why he would.
He already said a whole year at Duke hence why he's transferring. I highly doubt he's gonna want to redshirt.

He already said a whole year at Duke hence why he's transferring. I highly doubt he's gonna want to redshirt.

He just means how to approach his year off due to the transfer rules

Wont the kid pretty much be a "free agent" when the semesters up? Schollys are year to year so hes no longer dukes property or am i missing something and from reading the article it looks like k gave him his blessing to go wherever he wants, you cant restrict a player from transferring

NCAA rule. 1 year sit out for a transfer to another D1 school.

I know that, i was asking why people think he needs coach ks "blessing" to come here, if he was granted a transfer he can go where er he wants and sit iut a year...coach k cant restrict him from coming here

Unless a waiver is given. Elliot Williams transferred from Duke to Memphis when his mother was ill, was able to play right away.

but you can't transfer in conference.

obviously, this is an odd case - but i would imagine they wont allow him to transfer to cuse or pitt (if he were interested)

If he transfers to SU before we officially start ACC play, then they can't stop him. We are still BE until the Providence Mafia blesses our exit.

Schools will offer releases with restrictions to schools they don't want them to transfer to. This is very common among schools when players want to transfer. Notre Dame hasn't allowed players to transfer to schools who are on their future schedules, even if they are out of conference (noteably football).

Schools will offer releases with restrictions to schools they don't want them to transfer to. This is very common among schools when players want to transfer. Notre Dame hasn't allowed players to transfer to schools who are on their future schedules, even if they are out of conference (noteably football).

Never knew that, seems petty to me but whatever

If he transfers to SU before we officially start ACC play, then they can't stop him. We are still BE until the Providence Mafia blesses our exit.

a school has the power to block a player.

Never knew that, seems petty to me but whatever

has kind of come into light this year with 2 pretty highly public denials and a firestorm of hate towards the coaches. 1 was towards phil martelli and a shady guy who transferred to UAB. i cant remember the other 1, but it was only about a week or 2 after the st joes guy.

has kind of come into light this year with 2 pretty highly public denials and a firestorm of hate towards the coaches. 1 was towards phil martelli and a shady guy who transferred to UAB. i cant remember the other 1, but it was only about a week or 2 after the st joes guy.

Right, i do remember the martelli thing...seth davis was really vocal about it

Dont know if I can live up to the hype, but just got an email from "my source" ( lol), SU is his 1st choice, but not sure if Coach K will release him to a school coming to the ACC.

I just don't see how (or why) he could stop the kid when SU isn't officially ACC yet. Plus, being as close to JB as he is, I don't see him roadblocking a transfer.

a school has the power to block a player.

They might be able to block him by mentioning SU specifically, but they cannot apply the in-conference transfer rule because, technically, SU is not yet in the conference. You're right that Duke and K could block him coming to SU, but that would go against everything K projects himself to be. Plus, if I had a player who wanted to transfer, who was a good kid (ie not a trouble maker), and was interested in a program that a very good friend of mine (who is also a dynamite coach) led, I would want the kid to be in the best possible situation to succeed.

I just don't see this being an ego thing with K like it is with some other coaches. The school (Duke) could block it, but I don't see K doing it.

Great first post. Your like-to-post ratio is likely in record setting territory. Can't wait for post #2 (fingers crossed).

I'm worried you just gave him the sophomore jinx. Added to that, that first post was like losing your virginity fornicating with a virgin supermodel. Hard to top, and more likely like Kevin Spacey's line in the shower in American Beauty, "It's all downhill from here". Not that I think his posts will not be good, but you get the point.

I do agree with the compliment though, and am curious if he broke/will break a record? Either way, great first post! This is the Captain, welcoming you aboard!

I know that, i was asking why people think he needs coach ks "blessing" to come here, if he was granted a transfer he can go where er he wants and sit iut a year...coach k cant restrict him from coming here
I may be wrong about this but I believe a player has to be released to whichever school they transfer to, otherwise they have to pay for their first year at the new school.

Coach K and JB are friends, but this is about winning basketball games and Coach K isn't going to put himself or Duke at a disadvantage.

This is what I commented on. Would Coach K release him to SU if it would mean seeing him for potentially 3 years?

It'd be such BS if he didn't let him go to whatever school he wanted. He shouldn't be allowed to control where a kid wants to transfer to like that. In fact, he shouldn't have any control over this at all...

It'd be such BS if he didn't let him go to whatever school he wanted. He shouldn't be allowed to control where a kid wants to transfer to like that. In fact, he shouldn't have any control over this at all...

Exactly, pretty crazy that this is allowed

JB has only taken in like 3 transfers, right? I'd like to see him take in #4.