Gbinije Leaving Duke - Cuse interested | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije Leaving Duke - Cuse interested

Coach K and JB are friends, but this is about winning basketball games and Coach K isn't going to put himself or Duke at a disadvantage.

What disadvantage? He can recruit a better player next season. K doesn't have the problem most other coaches would have losing a kid of this caliber.

If K blocks him from going to Syracuse I will drive to Joe College's house and wash his car in a speedo.

JB has only taken in like 3 transfers, right? I'd like to see him take in #4.
LeRon Ellis, Jason Cipolla, Michael Lloyd, Ethan Cole, Ryan Blackwell, Wes Johnson...am I missing anyone?

LeRon Ellis, Jason Cipolla, Michael Lloyd, Ethan Cole, Ryan Blackwell, Wes Johnson...am I missing anyone?
Cipolla and Lloyd were Juco transfers, think poster was referring to traditional transfers from 4 year schools. It was referenced somewhere maybe post standard that there had been 4 but I think there was at least another one or two that people came up with after the initial reference.

People are getting the transfer rules a little confused. Technically a D1 scholarship player has to sit out 1 year unless there is some extenuating circumstance and a player appeals for immediate eligibility ie. Momo Jones at Iona, kid from Duke to Memphis or wherever. The other new transfer rule is where a player who has graduated can transfer for his last year to a school that has a graduate program he's interested in that his current school does not offer (not 100% sure on full details of this new provision).

Gbinje most likely doesn't fall under any of those extenuating circumstances and would probably have to follow the tradional transfer rules. He basically would have to get a release from Duke before he can be in contact with any other schools and Duke can control to an extent which schools pursue him. It's very common for schools to have a list of schools that a kid can't transfer to based on them playing that school in the future. A player can theoretically still go to one of the schools on the list but as someone mentioned above I believe they'd have to sit out 2 years of which paying their own way in the first year at the new school.

The intra-conference transfer rule typically is a conference mandated rule where a player can't transfer from one school to another in the same conference. If they do they'd also have to sit out 2 years. I'm not sure of the ACC's rule on this, but most likely they have one in place since it appears that most conferences do. This shouldn't really affect him transferring to us because when he'll be transferring (end of semester) we won't currently be in the ACC. When he's elibible to play doesn't factor into it at all, it's just about when the actual transfer takes place. Even though not an apples to apples comparison this is how Oriahki is avoiding having to appeal the rule in place about the SEC not allowing 1 year transfers because technically Mizz isn't in the SEC until sometime in summer.

So theoretically the only issue if Gbinje really wants to come to SU is whether or not K blocks us. Most likely he does, but maybe he has a soft spot for JB and lets it take place.

So theoretically the only issue if Gbinje really wants to come to SU is whether or not K blocks us. Most likely he does, but maybe he has a soft spot for JB and lets it take place.
K wouldn't have to use an official block . . . all he would have to do is tell JB that Gbinje is a problem and JB will pass.

Eloy Vargas transferred from Florida to Kentucky and only sat out one year. Does the ACC have a different rule?

Eloy Vargas transferred from Florida to Kentucky and only sat out one year. Does the ACC have a different rule?

Vargas went to a JUCO after Florida for a year, so that's probably why he didn't have to sit out an extra year if that rule does exist in the SEC. Of course, he lost a year of eligibility as a result, but was able to go to UK when he probably wouldn't have been permitted to before...

I was going off of the quote that JB said a few years ago when talking about Wes. Thanks for looking it up...

He already said a whole year at Duke hence why he's transferring. I highly doubt he's gonna want to redshirt.

He HAS to. That's the rule, unless there's a hardship (e.g., your school is ineligible to play in the tournament next year / on probation).

JB has only taken in like 3 transfers, right? I'd like to see him take in #4.

It's a few more than that, but not many - Leo Rautins , Leron Ellis, Jason Cipolla, Michael Lloyd, Ryan Blackwell and Wes Johnson, by my count.

I was going off of the quote that JB said a few years ago when talking about Wes. Thanks for looking it up...

I missed Ethan Cole and you missed Leo Rautins.

http://www.metrosportsreport.com/in...rticle&id=6493&catid=184#.T4zultg-aZI.twitter

By every account I've ever heard, bo is really nice and respected...

I would be SHOCKED if K would even fathom allowing this kid to think about cuse...

If you don't at least understand the possibility of K denying it, I have a feeling you are suffering from blind biased hope.

Again, K may allow it... But I put it at 5% tops.

I understand the withing conference rules and restrictions bu it seems a crazy double standard to me that the player has to be approved and granted a release (with possible restrictions) when schollies aren't garanteed year to year. The School can take away the scholly when ever it wants.

I understand the withing conference rules and restrictions bu it seems a crazy double standard to me that the player has to be approved and granted a release (with possible restrictions) when schollies aren't garanteed year to year. The School can take away the scholly when ever it wants.

It is similar to a non-compete most real worlders sign...

Still, taken way too far IMO

I don't get this either. What about the whole "the athlete signs a LOI to the school, not the coach" sayings? How can a coach have a trade veto list of schools, outside of conference, he can block a kid from going?

The only possible way he could block Gbinije from transferring to SU, if that's what Gbinije wants to do and if JB wants him, is if MAYBE the NCAA sees the special circumstances, i.e. by the time he is eligible to play for us we will be in the same conference as Duke. If that was not the case, I don't see any possible way K could or would attempt to block the transfer.

That said, as much as we mock old ratface, he just doesn't strike me as a guy who would intentionally dick over not only one of his players, but also one of his best friends at the same time.

The only possible way he could block Gbinije from transferring to SU, if that's what Gbinije wants to do and if JB wants him, is if MAYBE the NCAA sees the special circumstances, i.e. by the time he is eligible to play for us we will be in the same conference as Duke. If that was not the case, I don't see any possible way K could or would attempt to block the transfer.

That said, as much as we mock old ratface, he just doesn't strike me as a guy who would intentionally dick over not only one of his players, but also one of his best friends at the same time.

either you dont understand the transfer rules and practices, or you are suffering from blind biased hope.

the ncaa really doesnt have much say in this. duke and coach k hold 100% of the power. and there just is no reason to allow him to transfer in conference. Dont confuse syracuse not being in the acc now. that doesnt matter 0.0000001%. We will be in the ACC before this kid steps foot on a court.

Coach K can reject any school for any reason. And the players only hope, as of now, is that going public with a coaches denial gets the school to change their mind.

By NCAA rules a coach can choose to not grant a release to effectively block a transfer to certain schools. Coach K could do that to SU in this case but I don't see it. He doesn't strike me as petty and I think he would want one of his kids to be happy and go to a good situation (assuming there is no personal animosity toward this kid). After all this isn't a talent like Grant Hill we're talking about.

It is similar to a non-compete most real worlders sign...

Still, taken way too far IMO

Non-competes are typically given for future consideration such as severance or some other form of post separation payment. In this case the only consideration Gbinje gets from Duke (aside from whatever it took to get him there in the first place) is his scholarship package and none of it is coming after he's made the decision to transfer.