General Thoughts on Towson Thread | Syracusefan.com

General Thoughts on Towson Thread

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Certainly no pushover by any stretch. Good coaching staff, solid defense and really good players at X, Mid and Attack.

Will dive more into it later in the week but wanted to get some general thoughts out.

I think Lehigh would have been the preferable opponent of the main 3 options but I think Towson is a better matchup for SU then St. Joes would have been (that 10 man and ride would have been a nightmare for this Cuse team).

Towson has a very solid offense but it clearly relies on DeMaio and Weissharr to carry a large chunk of the load or at least be the catalysts. If your Syracuse, taking those two out has to be paramount but it will be easier said then done especially with Weissharr. Demiao is the table setter but can also score (had 7 pts against UVA). He has 80 pts on the year (32,48). Only real issue for SU is do you put Figuerias or Dwan on him. Cuse D has been a bright spot most of the year but have had two poor performances in a row. They really need to get on track here and can't afford a repeat of the last two games. I think Figuerias probably gets the nod here. Obviously Olexxo will mark Weissharr, a very difficult matchup to say the least. SU will need to be cognizant of picks and attempts to force a switch to try and get Weissharr on a shortie. Weissharr is avery good player but is very much a volume shooter, he is not shy, at all.

Towson has more options beyond those two as Villagomez and Chop Robinson have 45 an 42 points on the year respectively and they run mostly attackmen on the midline with Weissharr. Towson also has some impressive wins including blowing out Navy, beating St. Joes by 8 early in the year and sweeping Delaware in 2 matchup.

Now I will say there are some pro SU things to consider in this matchup as well. Some of Towson's overall numbers are a bit skewed by how bad the CAA was this year. Outside of Delaware there wasn't much in the way of upper level or really even mediocre competition for Towson in conference. 5 of the 8 conference members were under .500 including Stony Brook who was 4-10, Monmouth 5-8 and Hofstra and Drexel who were both 6-9. Only two other teams were above .500, Delaware and Fairfield who went 8-7.

If you look at the "bigger" opponents on Towson's schedule your generally speaking of Hop, UVA, Loyola, along with Delaware twice and you can put St. Joes and Navy in their as well. 3 of the games were very early so I don't know how much you can take positive or negative but Towson did handle both St. Joes and Navy and win with lopsided scores. On the flipside they were blown out by Hop (again opening game so not sure you can extrapolate much) and UVA (final score deceiving) and lost 11-10 to Loyola. Two weeks ago Towson beat Delaware 11-10, 2 days ago they won 15-6 in a blow out. Constantinides has been very solid and is at 58% for the year. He was around 50% or under in all three losses on the year. His numers are interesting in that he tends to hover right around 53-55% for most games. He has a couple where he dominated - 16 of 21 vs MSM, 16 of 20 vs SB, 15-23 vs Drexel. But most games he is similar to his performance against St. Joes where he was 13 of 24 and the most recent game where he was 14-24 vs Delaware. Against Hop he was 5 of 9 and he was 15-30 vs UVA and 12 for 19 against Loyola. He does have a decent back up who is 40 for 70 on the year but not sure we will see much of him. Luke Downs their goalie has been solid and is at an impressive 56% on the year. Again though well under 50% against Hop, UVA but 50% or above against Navy, St. Joes and Delaware twice.

So what does this all mean. Well that's a good question. Perhaps little to nothing but in the two clear "peer" matchups Hop and UVA (acknowledging both were now played months ago) Towson was beat fairly soundly in both. Does that mean much for Sunday, hell no, but I also think you have to acknowledge SU didn't exactly draw Princeton or Michigan in the 1st round either. Towson clearly has the ability to win on Sunday but I also think this is a game where If SU plays at a B level or above they should carry the day. Again the issue to me is can SU play a consistent 4 quarters. They still have that 10-15 min stretch at some point each game where they just look lost in all phases. It's a bit disconcerting in a win or go home scenario. It's also hard to trust this team with any sort of lead in the 4th quarter for reasons that I think are fairly obvious. I worry a bit about SU's ability to again stop the "known" players. They struggled mightily to do that against UVA or Duke the last two games. Towson's not on that level but their not that far away either. Hard to get a great feel on this matchup as Towson hasn't played an upper level team in 2 months outside of a decent Delaware squad but its a tricky matchup for SU. SU doesn't need a final four run to have a successful year but they need to find away to win Sunday.

I think Cuse wins easily and comfortably, maybe putting together a full game after the Duke no-show.

Next round is where I have no clue, haven't seen any Denver or Michigan games this year...not even sure who coaches Denver, I think Bill finally retired?

Count me concerned. With the exception of the first Duke game, the defense has been inconsistent all year IMHO allowing teams to go on runs and collapsing in the 4th quarter too many times. The last two outings in particular are really troublesome. No attempts to tie up the opposing players hands or interrupting shots, standing around watching and generally letting attackers run free and take wide open shots etc. I don't get it. I am just not sold on Odierna. Combine all of that with the poor showing last week at FO, Marks collapse and the complete lack of preparedness after a significant layoff and you have the makings of an upset. Towson's on a run ( 9 straight wins) and if they go on an early run and are hanging around in the 4th, watch out. I really hope I'm wrong as this team needs to get to the next round this year. Failing to do so would be a major disappointment given the overall talent.

Been dormant for a little bit...

1. What does John Tillman have on the selection committee? Evidence of the crew cheating on their wives? How Maryland fails upwards like Kliff Kingsbury is mind boggling.
2. I don't think the NCAA hoops tournament needs more teams. That being said, some really good teams are being left out of the lax tournament. There should be two more play-in games (four more teams) BUT the teams have to pay for their room, travel, etc. - if they're not up for it they forfeit.
3. What did we learn from the Duke game? Not much. Faceoffs and goalie play - that's what advancing is going to come down to.
4. Besides Notre Dame, I hope we don't see many upsets Saturday and Sunday and give the Towson kids additional hope. I wish we had a Saturday game.
5. I'm nervous already. As I've said previously, watching this team is like watching a puppy cross a busy freeway. Go Orange.

Personally, I think our offense will fill it up against this team unless their fogo goes nuclear, which our FO men have not allowed to date.

If we let up 13+ on defense I’ll be concerned, but I think we should be able to put up 15+ easy against this defense. The Delaware O is not what it once was, so Towson hasn’t played legit offensive comp since Hop/UVa. On tape, I am not impressed by the Tiger size or athleticism / speed on D.

All that to be said, if our defense seriously struggles again, I will be pulling the emergency sirens moving forward. Will just be too many games in a row at that point.

No real idea of what to expect tonight. The fact that , presumably the entire bracket is about to go chalk, makes me very nervous, especially with all the talk of how many upsets there were supposed to be.

Towson is clearly a good team, but how good is hard to tell (Syracuse probably would have gone undefeated with their schedule). But with this being graduation weekend, they are coming off their first blowout loss of the season, they haven’t played that many games this month, there are just so many mental hurdles and questions.

It should be very interesting to see how this team starts the game. I have faith in the Orange, but I think this will be a dogfight. Mark needs to play very well, and the offense really needs to step up tonight. English and Stevens really need to have good games. As veterans with play off experience, a lot is riding on them. Go Orange!

No real idea of what to expect tonight. The fact that , presumably the entire bracket is about to go chalk, makes me very nervous, especially with all the talk of how many upsets there were supposed to be.

Towson is clearly a good team, but how good is hard to tell (Syracuse probably would have gone undefeated with their schedule). But with this being graduation weekend, they are coming off their first blowout loss of the season, they haven’t played that many games this month, there are just so many mental hurdles and questions.

It should be very interesting to see how this team starts the game. I have faith in the Orange, but I think this will be a dogfight. Mark needs to play very well, and the offense really needs to step up tonight. English and Stevens really need to have good games. As veterans with play off experience, a lot is riding on them. Go Orange!

I think your concerns are legitimate. Villagomez being out helps but not getting a great feeling on this game. Syracuse has a very hard time playing a full 60 mins and they can't afford to come out looking lost or have a 4th quarter where theg go into that 10 min lull where nothing goes right. Be it by 1 or 8 they need to win this game.

I think your concerns are legitimate. Villagomez being out helps but not getting a great feeling on this game. Syracuse has a very hard time playing a full 60 mins and they can't afford to come out looking lost or have a 4th quarter where theg go into that 10 min lull where nothing goes right. Be it by 1 or 8 they need to win this game.
I don’t understand all the negativity. We’re the four seed for a reason. Had no bad losses- didn’t even have a game resembling a tough time against a second/third tier opponent.

I get it … we play bad and they play good, we could lose. Not exactly enlightening analysis.

I don’t understand all the negativity. We’re the four seed for a reason. Had no bad losses- didn’t even have a game resembling a tough time against a second/third tier opponent.

I get it … we play bad and they play good, we could lose. Not exactly enlightening analysis.

Not sure im seeing a ton of negativity to be honest. This is a really good Cuse team but it's inconsistent and often has prolonged lapses in game that they have been able to overcome because their a top 5-7 team but those lapses probably cost them at least two wins and would have cost then another if UNC hadn't run out of time.

You also have to acknowledge SU hasn't exactly been lights out in the Sunday night game even going back to the really good squads under Desko. The Bryant and Army upsets, the loss to Cornell and the Yale and Albany games that were 1 score finishes. Hopefully tonight SU wins going away or at least somewhat comfortably but I can understand why Powellfan isn't exactly loving the matchup.

It’s only natural to be in slight panic mode after the egg against Duke. I am hoping it was a dud before the tourney and we come out firing with the most intensity. We have too much talent to deny against an opponent like this. Offense needs to step up and bury this team. Limit the slop and finish the easy ones. Defense if we can contain the known threats we should limit a big goal total. Ssdms are always a concern at this point, but Towson may not have that depth of match up threats to have us constantly in slide mode the way some teams might. We have depth and we have athleticism. I am confident it will be enough.

It’s only natural to be in slight panic mode after the egg against Duke. I am hoping it was a dud before the tourney and we come out firing with the most intensity. We have too much talent to deny against an opponent like this. Offense needs to step up and bury this team. Limit the slop and finish the easy ones. Defense if we can contain the known threats we should limit a big goal total. Ssdms are always a concern at this point, but Towson may not have that depth of match up threats to have us constantly in slide mode the way some teams might. We have depth and we have athleticism. I am confident it will be enough.

Limiting Demaio and Weissharr has to be one of the top priorities. If those two have big games SUs gonna be in major trouble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom