Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Last year's team was horrible defensively, probably the worst of JB's career.
Are you really going to count DCII and Chukwu as available players? And TT defended the center position?!
I'm confident that ON PAPER we'll definitely be better defensively and will be more versatile offensively with more options/combinations, if not as good from the 3 line.
I also think this team will gel sooner and not have the chemistry issues.
Finally, the conference as a whole isn't as strong as last year.

Yes, I'm counting Chukwu and Coleman as we perceived them before the season started. That's why we said "on paper". You know, any of the guys we are counting on right now could get injured, too. You say "on paper" we will be better defensively, and maybe we will with Sidibe coming in. But TT's reputation right now is for poor defense in the middle, and he will have to play a major role, because he's one of our top 2 or 3 scoring threats.

You can guess about the team learning the zone and team chemistry, but those things are not "on paper". I also hope for a successful season, but over the 46 years I have been following the team, I have found that the more questions you have coming into a season, each of those questions comes back to bite you with a couple extra losses than you didn't anticipate. Right now, "on paper", we have more questions than we did last year.

Problem is Thompson needs to play due to his offense and he is beyond abysmal defensively. If he can become just bad, that's a huge improvement..

Get ya hands up! Get ya damn hands up! - Jay Z.

I believe Thorpe is our best option for finishing out the 2017 recruiting group.
He is an experienced player with size and the ability to run the offense from the PG position.
We have no returning proven PG and his experience with a running point for
USF makes him the ideal candidate for PG for the 2017-18 season.
Staff, let's close this out and get him to campus, as soon as possible.
With hopefully a strong 2018 recruiting class, this gives us the best option for this coming season and the best opportunity for landing a strong PG candidate for 2018.

If we can bring in a strong class for 2018 (and we have already missed out on a handful of our early offers...), I'm hoping that sets the stage for JB to step down. I really hope they are beginning a coaching search and replace him after next season, respectfully. His time is over.

I can't stress enough how skilled Marek is. He will be able to break down opposing 3s and 4s immediately. He is not a hail mary. He is a 30 min player. From day 1.

It's going to be a crowded front court. We've got 3 candidates for SF - Moyer, Brissett and Marek. Marek has great skills for his size, but I don't know if he's going to be able to beat other SF's off the dribble. At 6-9, he'll be able to shoot over them, though, so that's a plus.

I think Brissett might be a big surprise. I could see him winning that spot.

Moyer from his HS videos, strikes me as more of a tweener - like Roberson or Terrence Roberts from a decade ago. His upside could be Ryan Blackwell, but he has work to do to get there. I don't think he will give us enough outside shooting to be more than a role player this year.

At PF, it would be great if we could play Thompson there because it would mean we had good enough defense from Sidibe and Chukwu in the middle to move TT to the wing, where he is less likely to get into foul trouble and get abused in the low post. Having a functional big man who can defend the rim is a necessity with the zone.

If we can bring in a strong class for 2018 (and we have already missed out on a handful of our early offers...), I'm hoping that sets the stage for JB to step down. I really hope they are beginning a coaching search and replace him after next season, respectfully. His time is over.

JB is the MAN!!! Not going anywhere and we are headed in the right direction, who do you want? take a look at the Thad M replacement list, nothing exciting, Jay Wright is not coming to SU unless we are paying $7M per year , please, Jimmy B is Syracuse basketball, get over it already it, sickening how many fans are so negative about Coach B, just plain dumb

JB is the MAN!!! Not going anywhere and we are headed in the right direction, who do you want? take a look at the Thad M replacement list, nothing exciting, Jay Wright is not coming to SU unless we are paying $7M per year , please, Jimmy B is Syracuse basketball, get over it already it, sickening how many fans are so negative about Coach B, just plain dumb

I am extremely excited about our squad for 17, this is how SU will win another Big 1, build a foundation of solid players - Tiers 1,2,3, , you will look back in 24 months and say wow - this was such a great class (Sidibe, Marek, HWJ, Oshae, Elijah), Thorpe runs circles around Yala Yala Yala, that boy can't carry HWJ jock, we get my main man @ PG the Lord from NJ and MR Lamar O JR @ SF and BB draining 3's for the 18 class, we are winning it all fast, everyone talking about filling the 18 class, folks, we have 2 maybe 3 slots available - that's it - plus knock wood BB join[/QUOTE]

I am extremely excited about our squad for 17, this is how SU will win another Big 1, build a foundation of solid players - Tiers 1,2,3, , you will look back in 24 months and say wow - this was such a great class (Sidibe, Marek, HWJ, Oshae, Elijah), Thorpe runs circles around Yala Yala Yala, that boy can't carry HWJ jock, we get my main man @ PG the Lord from NJ and MR Lamar O JR @ SF and BB draining 3's for the 18 class, we are winning it all fast, everyone talking about filling the 18 class, folks, we have 2 maybe 3 slots available - that's it - plus knock wood BB join

I think you're right about this class. In a couple of years, we could very well look back at the class of 2017 and acknowledge:
  1. Brissett has the tools to be a star
  2. Sidibe was a much better / more highly skilled big than people thought at the time, perhaps with an NBA future
  3. Dolezaj was an enormous bounce-back option at SF, who might be as good as or even better than Randolph, Tucker, etc.
  4. Hughes is an athletic stud capable of playing two positions, validating why the coaching staff was enamored with him after the elite camp
  5. Howard Washington was better than a typical three-star, and a solid contributor during his career

None of those things would surprise me in the least.

If Thorpe does sign on to play here as we are anticipating and starts, as most of us are anticipating (why would you come to a school for your final year to come off the bench if you don't have to) then its going to be very interesting to see what Frank Howard does. It would mean he's been recruited over again, as a Jr.
Is he ok with coming off the bench as a Jr (and potentially a Sr)? Or does he feel like the writing is on the wall at this point and transfer out this summer, which would leave us with only 2 verifiable guard options if HW is not ready for significant min's? I know if I were in his shoes it would be a difficult decision to make.

I think you're right about this class. In a couple of years, we could very well look back at the class of 2017 and acknowledge:
  2. Sidibe was a much better / more highly skilled big than people thought at the time, perhaps with an NBA future
  3. Dolezaj was an enormous bounce-back option at SF, who might be as good as or even better than Randolph, Tucker, etc.
  4. Hughes is an athletic stud capable of playing two positions, validating why the coaching staff was enamored with him after the elite camp
  5. Howard Washington was better than a typical three-star, and a solid contributor during his career

HWJ was top 50 or so going into his JR year, not sure what happened, why he fell off, maybe b/c the move to CN, from what i have been told, he has been lighting it up at the Melo Center, finally, we have a true PG, he will remind many of Tyler E, with a better jump shot

HWJ was top 50 or so going into his JR year, not sure what happened, why he fell off, maybe b/c the move to CN, from what i have been told, he has been lighting it up at the Melo Center, finally, we have a true PG, he will remind many of Tyler E, with a better jump shot
I'm going to stop you right there, comparing HW to "Ennis with a better jump shot". Ennis was a consensus top 50 player, top 5 PG in the class, and was heavily recruited by schools like Virginia and Arizona. He was also a lottery pick 12 months later. Let's slow down on the HW train and let his play on the court determine our comparisons. Calling him a better version of Ennis is just wrong and frankly unfair to the kid.

I'm going to stop you right there, comparing HW to "Ennis with a better jump shot". Ennis was a consensus top 50 player, top 5 PG in the class, and was heavily recruited by schools like Virginia and Arizona. He was also a lottery pick 12 months later. Let's slow down on the HW train and let his play on the court determine our comparisons. Calling him a better version of Ennis is just wrong and frankly unfair to the kid.
He is no Ennis but I believe he is very underrated. If you watch his tapes he is very intuitive and aware of his teammates movements. He really is a true point guard. Got shot and drives well too. He was the point guard for Ben Simmons when he was there and than number 1 player Brissett. They don't give you the ball with that quality around you if you can't distribute effectively

I am extremely excited about our squad for 17, this is how SU will win another Big 1, build a foundation of solid players - Tiers 1,2,3, , you will look back in 24 months and say wow - this was such a great class (Sidibe, Marek, HWJ, Oshae, Elijah), Thorpe runs circles around Yala Yala Yala, that boy can't carry HWJ jock, we get my main man @ PG the Lord from NJ and MR Lamar O JR @ SF and BB draining 3's for the 18 class, we are winning it all fast, everyone talking about filling the 18 class, folks, we have 2 maybe 3 slots available - that's it - plus knock wood BB join

You quoted your own hype post and hyped it some more. Well I like the optimism. I also like what we have done setting up a solid base for the future. With Thorpe I think we are a tourney team but also feel its too early to know what we have and predict anything more than that. Lots of question marks and lots of guys who have yet to do it on the big stage at SU.

I agree that none of those would be a surprise, with the likely exception that I don't think Dolezaj is as good or better than those two guys.

I think 3 of those 5 are pretty much givens in my eyes. 1, 2 & 4. Except I think the "perhaps with NBA future" is on the unlikely spectrum. I do think Sidibe could contribute right away though.

I agree that none of those would be a surprise, with the likely exception that I don't think Dolezaj is as good or better than those two guys.

I think 3 of those 5 are pretty much givens in my eyes. 1, 2 & 4. Except I think the "perhaps with NBA future" is on the unlikely spectrum. I do think Sidibe could contribute right away though.

Time will tell, obviously -- but the staff is ga ga over Dolezaj's skills and potential. He could very well be better than those two, and that's not going out on a limb.

And I'm going with my man Iommi re: Sidibe's potential. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

If Thorpe does sign on to play here as we are anticipating and starts, as most of us are anticipating (why would you come to a school for your final year to come off the bench if you don't have to) then its going to be very interesting to see what Frank Howard does. It would mean he's been recruited over again, as a Jr.
Is he ok with coming off the bench as a Jr (and potentially a Sr)? Or does he feel like the writing is on the wall at this point and transfer out this summer, which would leave us with only 2 verifiable guard options if HW is not ready for significant min's? I know if I were in his shoes it would be a difficult decision to make.

Hopefully FH wakes up, realizes life is real and gives it everything he's got, otherwise he's just not good enough to not work hard and not give 110% every

i did NOT say better than Ennis, i said better jump shot than Ennis, HWJ has work to do, he also reminds some of Mark Jackson .....re foot speed

Time will tell, obviously -- but the staff is ga ga over Dolezaj's skills and potential. He could very well be better than those two, and that's not going out on a limb.

And I'm going with my man Iommi re: Sidibe's potential. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Marek is our 4th best player next year behind Battle TT and thorpe.

Someone earlier said forward spot was crowded... not really. 3 guys. Bare minimum honestly . They r just all darn good.

TT at the 4... never. Ever.
35 mins at the 5. And 5 for chukw u. Sidibe and HW won't see a minute after the early season

D*mned straight! I think your post may in inspire me to write my next parody, "He built this city on basketball"(Starship). I haven't come up with one for Thorpe yet, sometimes I get the inspiration from things folks write, but at o79 just pointed out, there hasnt been a lot about Thorpe in the Thorpe thread the last 2 or 3 days. Folks dont seem excited about him(my eye test), even though they say they are.

I don't really see why some people doubt Thorpe. He basically shoots 40% from deep, and almost 90% from the line. Geno played some zone, and yes the AAC has UCon, but has good competition. His team was awful, yeah.

Still, he's obviously a good player that can play both guard spots. The Frank pessimists should be thrilled to land him. I have faith in Frank, but Geno is a good player.

I don't have many question marks when it comes to him. The zone isn't rocket science. He's tall enough, can shoot, slash, and score. Also, his D looks to be solid. No doubt in my mind that he will be do just fine in the ACC. I really hope we lock him up by this weekend. If Frank can't handle it, then so be it. HW will step right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom