Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

What's that got to do with geno Thorpe?

you really gonna jump on me for posting something none related in a post but everybody else that does it is fine? You can't name one post that does have talk about something else or a different kid in it on this site..

Butler was expected to be around a Sweet 16 team I believe. They were not and have not been a bubble team in quite some time. They had great players. Gordon H, Shelvin Mack, Ron Nored, etc.
They were an 8-seed when they lost to UConn.

you really gonna jump on me for posting something none related in a post but everybody else that does it is fine? You can't name one post that does have talk about something else or a different kid in it on this site..
Perhaps you could - I don't know - answer his question?

Butler was expected to be around a Sweet 16 team I believe. They were not and have not been a bubble team in quite some time. They had great players. Gordon H, Shelvin Mack, Ron Nored, etc.
Butler was 5 seed when they beat us and were an 8 or 9 seed when they beat Pitt on the foul off the rebound. So in theory they should have lost in round 2 both years.

Butler was 5 seed when they beat us and were an 8 or 9 seed when they beat Pitt on the foul off the rebound. So in theory they should have lost in round 2 both years.

Alright but no big shockers either. Clearly they had some very good players. Many on this board had them taking out PItt anyways if I remember correctly.

The hope is Geno commits and than is on campus for the second summer session like I have been saying. He can't pull an Andrew White and wait until late August to decide.

You've been saying Thorpes will be here for the second semester?

All we hear is Marek is coming, and we will get either Thorpe or Ayala. I truly at this point do not see any of the 3 coming.

Alright but no big shockers either. Clearly they had some very good players. Many on this board had them taking out PItt anyways if I remember correctly.
They did have two good teams. I thought that Pitt team was the best team they ever had if memory serves. Even with Pitt's tourney struggles that surprised me.

Historically we only allow kids to visit that have committable offers in these types of circumstances.

Feel like we're moving to this direction and ditching the whole Ayala to 17 movement?

Historically we only allow kids to visit that have committable offers in these types of circumstances.
Thanks Jake. That does seem to be the trend. Let's hope it's a signed deal by the weekend and everyone can move forward. Thorpe should bring a lot of experience and some flexibility with him. Things are looking bright orange!!! So far, the sky is not falling.

OK, tell us why this squad is better on paper. Tell us how having 2 shooters rather than 4 is a plus. Tell us how having two 5th year players who both averaged double figures scoring and shot in the mid-to-high 30s from three is worse than having a bunch of 3 star recruits. We had a fifth year returning senior at center, a 7-2 transfer from the Big East, plus Thompson and Lydon in the middle of the zone. The two guys who defended the center position best of those 4 are gone.
Last year's team was horrible defensively, probably the worst of JB's career.
Are you really going to count DCII and Chukwu as available players? And TT defended the center position?!
I'm confident that ON PAPER we'll definitely be better defensively and will be more versatile offensively with more options/combinations, if not as good from the 3 line.
I also think this team will gel sooner and not have the chemistry issues.
Finally, the conference as a whole isn't as strong as last year.

If we can get Thorpe to commit, and then plan to play him 30 minutes a game, we could actually be pretty decent next year. Defense and rebounding will be major question marks still, but we'll have some talent to play with. Hopefully, Dolezaj or Brissett will be able to hit 3's and we can suffice at SF.

Battle, Thompson, Thorpe as your main scorers is solid, but we'll need those secondary scorers to step up.

I want to get the Thorpe commit and get him to campus ASAP. It would be great to have that comroadery and familiarity with all the players. Really missed that last year and it caught us.
I like Thorpe and would welcome him and be happy to drop the Ayala stuff for a while

This team is going to be fun to watch. Frank Thorpe Battle Moyer Euro Bris all like to take it to the hole and all crash the boards. In Chuk and Sid we have a huge up grade defensively and i feel as if Sid is going to be a super star. We need one of Euro Bris or Moyer to find a solid stroke from 3 and we dance. My guess is Euro. Gonna be a fun year. Low expectations and i believe JB coaches them up big time.

This team is going to be fun to watch. Frank Thorpe Battle Moyer Euro Bris all like to take it to the hole and all crash the boards. In Chuk and Sid we have a huge up grade defensively and i feel as if Sid is going to be a super star. We need one of Euro Bris or Moyer to find a solid stroke from 3 and we dance. My guess is Euro. Gonna be a fun year. Low expectations and i believe JB coaches them up big time.

Problem is Thompson needs to play due to his offense and he is beyond abysmal defensively. If he can become just bad, that's a huge improvement. Hopefully the other pieces are able to mask his lack of ability on one end of the floor - with it being Battle's second year and hopefully Frank will buy a clue this year. That should help with the direct penetration that our guards gave up so much of last year.

I really like the flexibility Thorpe would bring to multiple positions. While not ideal, the ability to plug Geno in at the 2 and swing Tyus to the 3 with the uncertainty there could solve a lot of problems for us. A line up of Howard, Thorpe, Battle, Thompson and either C should be able to put some points on the board. Then if just one of the new forwards comes through (Brissett, Dolezaj, Moyer) we have considerable upside.

I want to get the Thorpe commit and get him to campus ASAP. It would be great to have that comroadery and familiarity with all the players. Really missed that last year and it caught us.

Yup, we were terrible the first two months of the season. Once the right guys were in the right spots, and once guys got more comfortable with each other on both ends of the court, we were a pretty good team. Hopefully we can come together and gel much more quickly this season. It took too long last year and it cost us the tourney, which sucked because that was a tourney caliber team that could've even won a game or two.

I really like the flexibility Thorpe would bring to multiple positions. While not ideal, the ability to plug Geno in at the 2 and swing Tyus to the 3 with the uncertainty there could solve a lot of problems for us. A line up of Howard, Thorpe, Battle, Thompson and either C should be able to put some points on the board. Then if just one of the new forwards comes through (Brissett, Dolezaj, Moyer) we have considerable upside.
I agree that is a good option. I would love to keep Battle at the 2 and not move him to the 3. It would be great if we could go with Battle/Howard/Thorpe as our guards and not have issues. I really think Brissett is going to come in and play good minutes and impress. I also like Sidibe on the wing defensively. If TT was able to be acceptable in the middle, not great just not a turnstile then we would be solid. We could go with Thompson in the middle and Moyer, Brissett, Marek and Sidibe on the wings with Sidibe playing some center minutes. Then we wouldn't need to rely on Pascal to do much and anything we got is a bonus. That is my hope.

Agree 100%. Suddenly, that looks like a formidable scoring / shooting lineup.

All contingent upon Howard righting the ship, however, which is far form a certainty.

I believe Thorpe is our best option for finishing out the 2017 recruiting group.
He is an experienced player with size and the ability to run the offense from the PG position.
We have no returning proven PG and his experience with a running point for
USF makes him the ideal candidate for PG for the 2017-18 season.
Staff, let's close this out and get him to campus, as soon as possible.
With hopefully a strong 2018 recruiting class, this gives us the best option for this coming season and the best opportunity for landing a strong PG candidate for 2018.

Yup, we were terrible the first two months of the season. Once the right guys were in the right spots, and once guys got more comfortable with each other on both ends of the court, we were a pretty good team. Hopefully we can come together and gel much more quickly this season. It took too long last year and it cost us the tourney, which sucked because that was a tourney caliber team that could've even won a game or two.

I hear you with the gelling and improvements. I totally disagree with the last sentence but that's just my opinion. That team struggled to get to 57 points against Miami in a hugely important ACC tournament game and they were a disaster on the road/neutral. Miami got slaughtered by the way by Michigan St., a team many were mocking as not deserving to be in. I think it would have been more of the same in the NCAA Tournament. Probably stuck in the 50s/low 60s where generating solid possessions on offense and being sound defensively is of the utmost importance. We were still giving up tons of uncontested dunks and lobs against Miami. Xavier and USC (even Kansas St,) were better teams with more balance, sound concepts, better personnel, etc. Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom