Georgetown - ha ha ha | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown - ha ha ha

You are laughing as if we aren't in our own pickled situation.
When's the last time Georgetown was in a final four? They are awful, have been awful for a long time, and have no plan to deal with how awful they have become.

Any challenges we face have plans in place to address them - we at least have a road map on how to continue our success. They have nothing at this point, that's why Townie is suggesting a fresh start at this point.

When's the last time Georgetown was in a final four? They are awful, have been awful for a long time, and have no plan to deal with how awful they have become.

Any challenges we face have plans in place to address them - we at least have a road map on how to continue our success. They have nothing at this point, that's why Townie is suggesting a fresh start at this point.

07 Was last Final Four for them I believe. With Hibbert and Jeff green.

Neither of whom JTIII recruited.

I saw Hibbert as a high schooler at Georgetown Prep and as a freshman at GU. He was a major, major project. I think Georgetown under Esherick was the only school to show any interest and that was because his high school coach was ex-GU player Dwayne Bryant.

So Esherick shouldn't get too much credit for Hibbert. His metamorphosis into a player was both amazing and completely unexpected by most.

You are laughing as if we aren't in our own pickled situation.
giphy.gif

What I am suggesting is a rethinking by GU on the need to have a Top 10 team if they have to:

Fire JT3 and go through all the division and accusations that is going to involve (Heaven help them if they try and bring in a White coach)

Subject the school to a new coach who is hell bent on winning. Because if he doesn't the second guessing and recriminations are going to be deafening. The new coach will be charged with bringing back the glory years without Patrick Ewing. And he probably won't be allowed to bring in any Michael Graham's or Kenny Brunner's.

What Georgetown is now is a top academic school attracting high SAT score kids from around the nation. It's a de facto Ivy League school. It should have an Ivy League level basketball program.

What I am suggesting is a rethinking by GU on the need to have a Top 10 team if they have to:

Fire JT3 and go through all the division and accusations that is going to involve (Heaven help them if they try and bring in a White coach)

Subject the school to a new coach who is hell bent on winning. Because if he doesn't the second guessing and recriminations are going to be deafening. The new coach will be charged with bringing back the glory years without Patrick Ewing. And he probably won't be allowed to bring in any Michael Graham's or Kenny Brunner's.

What Georgetown is now is a top academic school attracting high SAT score kids from around the nation. It's a de facto Ivy League school. It should have an Ivy League level basketball program.

I kind of feel like Tommy Amaker would do ok at Georgetown. But these days, Harvard may have the better program.

Yea, how will Georgetown ever have a white basketball coach? It's been exactly one coach since the last time they did that. I'm not sure where your desire to make this a racial issue comes from, but it's not a good look.

And this Ivy League stuff is also overstated. Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford - all compete at a high level athletically while maintaining very high academic standards for their non-basketball student body. Same for UVa, Berkley, UT, etc., though I would agree the state schools face a different dynamic.

This also ignores that JT3 was able to bring in big-time talent to Georgetown - Greg Monroe was arguably the top recruit in the country, coming in a year after Thompson brought in two McD A-As in Chris Wright and Austin Freeman. Even two years ago, the Copeland, White, Peak class was an excellent one on paper.

Look, Georgetown is in a tough spot, as I've said before. But they aren't going to voluntarily downgrade to a Patriot League/Ivy League program. That's not one of the options. They have to deal with the constraints they have, just as every other program does.

In general, I think people vastly overreact to short-term results in college basketball. If Syracuse had missed the tournament last year (which easily could have happened), the clamor to push Boeheim out this January would have been extremely loud. Ten years ago, there was a widespread view in the Syracuse fanbase that Boeheim was done, and questions whether Syracuse was being passed for good by Georgetown. Then Syracuse ripped off the best 5-year stretch in its history. College basketball is 80% talent, and that talent is mostly about recruiting but also in a very significant part about luck. Teams can turn around incredibly quick.

Yea, how will Georgetown ever have a white basketball coach? It's been exactly one coach since the last time they did that. I'm not sure where your desire to make this a racial issue comes from, but it's not a good look.

And this Ivy League stuff is also overstated. Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford - all compete at a high level athletically while maintaining very high academic standards for their non-basketball student body. Same for UVa, Berkley, UT, etc., though I would agree the state schools face a different dynamic.

This also ignores that JT3 was able to bring in big-time talent to Georgetown - Greg Monroe was arguably the top recruit in the country, coming in a year after Thompson brought in two McD A-As in Chris Wright and Austin Freeman. Even two years ago, the Copeland, White, Peak class was an excellent one on paper.

Look, Georgetown is in a tough spot, as I've said before. But they aren't going to voluntarily downgrade to a Patriot League/Ivy League program. That's not one of the options. They have to deal with the constraints they have, just as every other program does.

In general, I think people vastly overreact to short-term results in college basketball. If Syracuse had missed the tournament last year (which easily could have happened), the clamor to push Boeheim out this January would have been extremely loud. Ten years ago, there was a widespread view in the Syracuse fanbase that Boeheim was done, and questions whether Syracuse was being passed for good by Georgetown. Then Syracuse ripped off the best 5-year stretch in its history. College basketball is 80% talent, and that talent is mostly about recruiting but also in a very significant part about luck. Teams can turn around incredibly quick.

Esherick was put in that job by JTII because he was a loyal soldier and because he was a placeholder for JTIII. Esherick was not allowed to change the profile of the team and I have heard those words from JT Jr's mouth in his typical abstract terms.

After listening to the John Thompson Show for many years at drive time, I know the way the guy thinks inside and out. With him, it's always a racial thing.

I do not believe they will fire JTIII this year or next or the year after that. They can only fire him if Big John agrees and he isn't going to do that unless things change or unless the son finally wants out.

If JTIII does leave, watch who they interview and who they hire. You will see I know how they think "on the Hill".

The unexpected mission of GU basketball has been accomplished. The school doesn't need a top basketball program anymore. Not like SU does as a medium quality, expensive private school in declining Central NY.

There aren't that many GU fans especially among the students and even the alumni. The half empty Verizon Center shows this.

Georgetown isn't Duke. It's Brown or Penn. Their basketball program should reflect the school.

They don't because they recognize that 1. The game was meaningless and just a ploy to sell tickets to those inflicted with nostalgia. 2. We also lost to SJU and UConn. So it's "Well, who didn't beat SU".

We may have lost to SJU and UConn, however we are still a tourney team...although admittedly barely...I am not sticking up for GTown, however they did beat us this year regardless of their current situation...Look at our football team...it was another low win year, however we can still brag that we beat a Top 20 team in Va Tech...A bit different in terms of the fact SU basketball is no where near the Top 25, however when it is rivalry game like SU vs. GTown, a win is still bragging rights...

I do not believe they will fire JTIII this year or next or the year after that. They can only fire him if Big John agrees and he isn't going to do that unless things change or unless the son finally wants out.

If JTIII does leave, watch who they interview and who they hire. You will see I know how they think "on the Hill".

Georgetown isn't Duke. It's Brown or Penn. Their basketball program should reflect the school.

As I've said before, I think there's a decent chance Thompson gets pushed out within the next year. I think you are overstating the Thompsons' - very real - influence. And if indeed he does get pushed out, I would encourage you to consider whether perhaps your omniscience is more limited than you believe.

I don't understand what your last point is is intended to mean. Georgetown, Duke, Brown, and Penn are academically similar. When talking about basketball (or academics for that matter), in what possible way is Georgetown more like Brown or Penn than Duke? Brown has been to one NCAA tournament since 1939 (where, coincidentally, they lost to Syracuse).

We may have lost to SJU and UConn, however we are still a tourney team...although admittedly barely...I am not sticking up for GTown, however they did beat us this year regardless of their current situation...Look at our football team...it was another low win year, however we can still brag that we beat a Top 20 team in Va Tech...A bit different in terms of the fact SU basketball is no where near the Top 25, however when it is rivalry game like SU vs. GTown, a win is still bragging rights...

But they aren't bragging. JTIII is under siege from a small, but vociferous group of fans longing for the glory days.

But no one has mentioned a win over SU in his defense.

Why is that?

But they aren't bragging. JTIII is under siege from a small, but vociferous group of fans longing for the glory days.

But no one has mentioned a win over SU in his defense.

Why is that?

I am replying to the fact that some are taking pleasure in what is happening at GTown, i.e. the thread title, and am just saying don't forget they beat us this season...I never said they are bragging or that the SU win was mentioned by any of their fans or team...

I am replying to the fact that some are taking pleasure in what is happening at GTown, i.e. the thread title, and am just saying don't forget they beat us this season...I never said they are bragging or that the SU win was mentioned by any of their fans or team...

So because they beat us this season means we can't take some pleasure in the the self-inflicted "fix" they find themselves in? It's like a Greek tragedy.

Re-read or research that quote from Boeheim about Michael Graham punching an SU player in front of 18,000 people.

I, for one, am laughing my tush off.

So because they beat us this season means we can't take some pleasure in the the self-inflicted "fix" they find themselves in? It's like a Greek tragedy.

Re-read or research that quote from Boeheim about Michael Graham punching an SU player in front of 18,000 people.

I, for one, am laughing my tush off.

I didn't say that either...good grief you just like to argue, don't you?

I, too, am enjoying the situation they are in, but also keeping in mind the fact that they beat us this past season...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom