Georgetown ... you're on the clock | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown ... you're on the clock

this is great news. Obligatory:

brawl.jpg

Anyone hear what the "concept" of this proposal looks like? 5 in MSG and 5 at the Barclays Center?

Nate Mink‏@MinkNate 7m
Also from Daryl Gross radio show: Just said there's a 10-year men's basketball contract sitting on Georgetown's desk. SU already signed it.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/09/syracuse_athletic_director_dar_1.html#incart_river_default

That link was updated last night to clarify the comment made by Dr Gross. There is no contract, there is only a concept that is being discussed by both schools.

Still, clearly Syracuse wants to continue the series.

A quick glance at the Georgetown message board makes it look like most of their fans are not thrilled with the weakened schedule they are playing with the Catholic Big East conference, and are hoping Syracuse will be added to the schedule.

I hope their athletic department bends to the wishes of their fan base and agrees to continue the series. But my gut is that they are envisioning a 10-0 sweep by Syracuse, more Syracuse fans than Georgetown fans at the games in DC and for that reason will pass on this.

The most interesting part of the story regards the terms of the contract. HoyaSaxa is implying SU doesn't want to play OOC games outside NYS; I think they are thinking it would be a 5 games in MSG/5 games in the Dome thing.

I would expect they are discussing 5 games in Syracuse, 5 in DC, but with the proviso that for this series, Georgetown cannot severely limit SU fan access to tickets to the games in DC (i.e. so the rules for ticket access are the same for both schools).

That proviso is probably a deal breaker for the image conscious Hoya braintrust.

I would hope that the terms would be favorable to SU. I could see 4 in the Dome, 4 in DC, and 2 at MSG (or even 3-3-4 to ensure we play at least once a year in MSG), as long as the stringent ticket policies in DC are addressed. After all, they need us much more than we need them.

Good job by TGD if it happens, with SJU, Nova, Georgetown, we cover the three major BE markets where are alumni are and can get to the games. Kind of a best of both worlds type thing. Now all we need is the ACCT in MSG.

It’s funny how, when we moved to the ACC, Hoya Talk was holier than thou, saying they should never play us again, not allow us into DC, bla, bla, bla. Then they got one look at that conference schedule and thought again. Those Big East teams are slowly starting to realize that future relevance is not guaranteed for them and that the OOC schedules are going to become way more important than they used to be. Plus, let’s be honest, the games in DC are hugely Orange, but with that whole Hoya Hoop Club nonsense, they have to turn a pretty nice profit on that game. Add it all up and hard to envision them saying no to any reasonable proposal.

I'm perfectly fine with a 5/5 split between the Dome and Verizon Center. And if we want to play at MSG, I think it should come out of Dome games first. But Georgetown needs to revise their ticket policy and let people buy just the single game at the Verizon.

Last edited:
I still think they should schedule a game at the Verizon Center while the Hoyas are in Syracuse. Possibly against teams like George Mason, VCU, George Washington or Maryland.

Same thing when Villanova visits with a game in Philly against Temple, St. Joes, Princeton, LaSalle, UPenn, or Penn State at Wells Fargo Center.

Keep the recruiting areas sacred or someone else will capitalize.

That's good. We need to maintain our anchor in Maryland/DC. Just playing Georgetown every season will do that to some extent, even if it's not on their court.

I still think they should schedule a game at the Verizon Center while the Hoyas are in Syracuse. Possibly against teams like George Mason, VCU, George Washington or Maryland.

Same thing when Villanova visits with a game in Philly against Temple, St. Joes, Princeton, LaSalle, UPenn, or Penn State at Wells Fargo Center.

Keep the recruiting areas sacred or someone else will capitalize.
too bad that will never happen

there is a reason the "never leaves NY" conversation always pops up, because it is somewhat true

I hope the contract is evenly split 5 DC and 5 Dome. The hatred and rivalry only remain present if Georgetown is seen as an equal. If we try to pull a Joe Paterno on them it won't work.

Last edited:
Given their OOC slate this year, I doubt Gtown is scared to play anyone. If a fair deal (5 and 5, with open access at the Verizon Center) is presented, I'd bet it gets done.

Given their OOC slate this year, I doubt Gtown is scared to play anyone. If a fair deal (5 and 5, with open access at the Verizon Center) is presented, I'd bet it gets done.

Does Georgetown agree to open access is the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom