Georgia Tech - October 19th - Group Tickets, Tailgate, etc.. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Georgia Tech - October 19th - Group Tickets, Tailgate, etc..

Well, I'm heading out tonight for 4 days in Destin, FL with my lovely wife, then on to the game on our way home. We will also be in the W26 Lot, but I'm not sure how early we will be there...my wife is NOT an early bird. An afternoon game would have been better for us! Oh well, I'm excited for the game!

Anyways, safe travels to all those going to the game...and GO CUSE!!
Uel representing San Antonio next week!

How many will be in your party?

BTW, you'll have to check out my license plate as well.
I'll have a total of 3...myself and my 2 sons...1 a GT Alum the other a Clemson Alum.

Hey guys, new here (obviously)...

I just found out that I will be able to go to this game. I know you guys have already set up the group tickets purchase and all that, but was told to check here to see if anyone had any extras that I could buy off someone. Any chance one of you that can point me in the right direction, or should I just go to stubhub? Looks like (right now, anyway...) I'll be looking for 3 tickets; if anyone can help, that would be super

Thanks for any help!
Somebody is selling, check this link on the football board
http://syracusefan.com/threads/ga-tickets-if-anyone-needs-them.59487/

Tailgate Planning

Now that the Clemson game is behind us and the kickoff time has been announced, it's time for some tailgate planning & preparation.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tailgate guru... we could use a veteran, or two, to lead this activity.

Attendees

Tailgate Attendees: 25-28
JJReddawg : 7 (4 adults) [canopy, table, cooler]
Moontan : 5 (2 adults total, but 4 who will eat like adults) [grill, table, cooler]
Aweart23 : 4-6
NashvilleOrange : 2-3
Timonen : 2
CiscoCuse : ??
UelSU : 2
JohnCuse44 : 2

Other known W26 parkers: OrangeChris, SF Cuse

If you plan on attending please send me a PM or reply in this thread so that we can get some sort of expected head count.

I will be sending some extra people there as well. Some may be doing their own adjacent tailgate or combine with us. The University is holding a pre-game event. It's a bit pricier than they'd initially indicated ($40pp).

If we get a bunch of SyracuseFan.com people who indicate that they'll be at the SyracuseFan.com tailgate then I may let alumni who ask about a tailgate know as well.

Location Information

One thing that I did a few weeks ago, was scout out the scene on game day. This was for the UNC @ GA Tech game. It was a noon kickoff and the weather was a bit drizzly. Based on what I observed, here are my recommendations for tailgate location:

View attachment 5296

How to get there:
The best (only) way to get here is via 10th Street. There are exits on I-85 to get to 10th St., just know that it can be confusing since (at least from the North) there will be an exit that leads to multiple side streets (10th, 14th, etc.). From 10th Street you'll want to take Dalney St.. There will be a guard there checking for parking passes or taking $20 cash. At the entrance to W26 there is another person checking parking passes. The gal at W26 made it sound like she got there 6 hours before kickoff.

Where to set up:
In the image I identified 3 locations. I'll describe these:
  1. this appears to be an ideal spot. The blue box to the right of the marked location contains two parking spots.
    This is where a UNC crew of 10-12 people had their tailgate. They had a canopy, but did not have a grill. They had an impressive 20' flagpole (placed under a tire).. I wish I had one of those sporting an Orange flag.
  2. somebody had a nice 12x12 (or larger?) canopy set up there. The spots immediately to the right provide easy access.
  3. a nice grass area, but no adjacent parking.
  4. there is plenty of space adjacent to 1. as well... there were a few other people set up around there.
There are some people that set up along the road. It's a bit narrow for a larger group. One group set up to the right of the "hills" along the street... I suspect they are regulars. The "hills" are a sloped area... not good for anything more than 2-4 people per spot. The islands between the cars in the picture are filled with gravel/stones. Yes, you could set some stuff up there, but far from ideal.

For the UNC game the lot was just under half full. I ran into a coworker there and he made it seem that they wouldn't expect things to get much busier for Syracuse, especially if it was an early game (which it is). Keep in mind that it was a bit rainy which may have kept some people away as well.

When to get there:
We will need a couple of people to get there early and mark our spot. Ideally these people would have some items to spread out... these include a canopy, grill, table(s), cooler(s), games, etc.. I believe the UNC crew got there at 8:00 or 8:30. I suspect a similar effort may be needed to get one of the prime spots. Any volunteers?

What to bring:
Again, I'm no expert...
There may be some funds available to pick up some breakfast food (donuts? bagels?), hot dogs, Hofmann's Franks & Snappy Grillers, unless people want to bring some of their own dishes.

Note that the local Publix chain does carry Hofmann Franks and Snappy Grillers... we'll need to look for a sale starting about now.

OK, that's it for now... we really could use some veterans, ideally with a grill & canopy, that are willing to commit to arriving early to ensure that this will be a success.

I will update this post with an updated headcount as well as updated plans and suggestions.
The SF Cuse family (four adults, two kids) will be there. Hope to arrive around 10:30 or so. We'll bring a small assortment of food and beer. Look forward to meeting everyone.

I grabbed a small travel grill which I'll bring as well. In the process of seasoning it right now: (picture clipped)

Is that the Weber 1520 with the push-button ignition, by any chance? The legs look similar. If so, let me know how you like it. I've been thinking of adding it to my tailgate arsenal.

Is that the Weber 1520 with the push-button ignition, by any chance? The legs look similar. If so, let me know how you like it. I've been thinking of adding it to my tailgate arsenal.

It's actually this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-46...1381843982&sr=8-2&keywords=portable+gas+grill

It was on clearance at Kroger for $15. It appears to be perfect for hot dogs and sausage. I ran it for about an hour on Sunday with wood chips to get it seasoned and didn't have any problems. I'm sure it won't hold up for more than 7 or 8 tailgates, but for $15 bucks, I couldn't go wrong.

I believe JJ and I will try to get there around 8:00.
You don't need to bring the grill.

If I were you, I'd drive and get there around 9:00-9:30. That gives you at least 2 hours to eat, drink & chat it up.
Bring some drinks and maybe something to throw on the grill and you're set.

Thanks appreciate it.

Moontan (A.K.A. Jurrie) --- Right now it looks like my family and I will crash your tailgate party. There will be 5 of us. We probably won't get there until about 11:00. We will not be empty handed. Not sure what we will bring, so if you have any suggestions, we may be able to fill that need

I believe JJ and I will try to get there around 8:00.
You don't need to bring the grill.

If I were you, I'd drive and get there around 9:00-9:30. That gives you at least 2 hours to eat, drink & chat it up.
Bring some drinks and maybe something to throw on the grill and you're set.

I am not sure I will be able to make it pre-game
Moontan (A.K.A. Jurrie) --- Right now it looks like my family and I will crash your tailgate party. There will be 5 of us. We probably won't get there until about 11:00. We will not be empty handed. Not sure what we will bring, so if you have any suggestions, we may be able to fill that need

Same situation for me. I hope to see you before or after the game.

Weather doesn't sound promising. Just checked weather.com. A lovely 65 degrees and 50% chance of rain. Bring your rain gear.

The only thing good about this, is that should give us a little advantage with the running game, as our mudders (Smith and Gulley) do very well in it.

Weather doesn't sound promising. Just checked weather.com. A lovely 65 degrees and 50% chance of rain. Bring your rain gear.

Just checked Accuweather's hourly forecast for Saturday. We should be fine for the tailgate and walk to the stadium, as it has a 9% chance of rain up until about 1 or 2. At that point it increases to 25%. I think it will be about the same as the NC State game. Nothing heavy and probably a light mist.

Just checked Accuweather's hourly forecast for Saturday. We should be fine for the tailgate and walk to the stadium, as it has a 9% chance of rain up until about 1 or 2. At that point it increases to 25%. I think it will be about the same as the NC State game. Nothing heavy and probably a light mist.

I hear if you "Wolf Howl" after every First Down, TD, Defensive Play, Beer Purchase and Fart...it will keep the rain away and ensure a Cuse win!

I am flying in on Saturday morning.

Is there a train from the airport to Ga Tech?
Yes.

Take MARTA from the Airport ($2.50 each way, though I believe there's a one-time $1 fee to buy a re-loadable card).
If you want to go straight to the game, get off at the North Avenue station.
If you want to join the tailgate, get off at the Midtown station.

If you want to save some dough and avoid a car and expensive hotels downtown: Use MARTA to get to the Game, stay out (near the airport and accessible using the Airport Sky Train) in Gateway. You should be able to get some good deals on hotels (Marriott, Sheraton, etc...) over the weekend in Gateway. Several major chains there at the Gateway Stop. The SkyTrain is the new people mover train to take you to/from the car rental facility located a mile or so away from Atlanta's Airport. Be advised Gateway is basically a corporate business park...so you'll want to spend most of your time downtown and just come back to sleep.

You can take the SkyTrain from Gateway to ATL Airport and then walk to the MARTA Train Stop...Pretty easy and you avoid driving in ATL.

http://www.itsmarta.com/breeze-cards.aspx (Cost $1 for initial purchase + Train Fare)

http://www.itsmarta.com/rail-schedules-or-route.aspx

http://www.itsmarta.com/airport.aspx

RCCSystemTrainRouteMap.JPG

Last edited:
Weather.com currently shows 68 as they high with a 30% chance of rain. Praying for now rain! :)

We are leaving for Chatanooga tonight see yall in ATL.

Okay got my tickets! Thanks TexanMark, Deano, and Aweart23 for helping me out!

Next question... I was unable to procure a parking pass for the sweet tailgate lot W26 (at least it should be, with the media showing up!). How much are they, does anyone have any extras? Or would I be able to go right to the University to buy one?

Thanks again!

Okay got my tickets! Thanks TexanMark, Deano, and Aweart23 for helping me out!

Next question... I was unable to procure a parking pass for the sweet tailgate lot W26 (at least it should be, with the media showing up!). How much are they, does anyone have any extras? Or would I be able to go right to the University to buy one?

Thanks again!

You should still be able to get it here:
https://gatech.clickandpark.com/events

You should be able to get them online (links provided previously) for $20 + $3 fee. They should also take $20 cash if there's space. Note there are also adjacent lots. If W26 is full you could try those and just walk over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Anyone driving through NC going to the game next weekend? I'm thinking about getting a ticket but don't want to make the trip by myself. I can help pay for gas if anyone is willing to carpool!

I'm not driving through NC, but from Charlotte (just south, technically). You're more than welcome to come with.

My plan (as of now) is to leave Friday after work and crash at a friend's place. That being said, they are more "risk averse" than I, and may not agree to a random person crashing there, so I cannot guarantee sleeping accomodations. Or if you'd prefer to leave super early Saturday morning, we may be able to arrange that, as well.

Allergy disclaimer: My dog is normally the copilot, and would travelling with, and as such, it will have hair all over the place.

Weather sounding better for Saturday. 70 degrees and 20% chance of rain. It sounds like everything is going to stay south - woo-hoo!

There'll be Genny Cream and Yuengling Light from some of the extra ticket funds.

I don't know if I've had a Genny Screamer since my days on the Hill. I thought that it was an appropriate choice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom