Georgia Tech Postgame Thoughts | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Georgia Tech Postgame Thoughts

well he was here last year.
Yes. Autry was certainly paying attention last year and had a clear idea as to who everyone is and isn’t. He does not get a pass just because he was one level down last year. He made some choices last March as head coach and he has responsibility for those choices

I hope the coaches are spending some time working on a big board, thinking about who they might know, might be able to recruit, might have connections to.
assuming they have a clue as to who would actually be good.

Overreaction? SU is barely top-100 KP and at least two guys are starting who shouldn’t be. I think this is the right reaction for a bottom quartile ACC team that looks every bit of a bottom quartile ACC team going on a decade of irrelevance.

The overreaction was thinking there was some magic turnaround after shooting the lights out at home against UNC.
Hofstras NET was better than Ga Techs going into the game.

Red has a bunch of petulant children that need to have their arses kicked.
JJ is solid
Cope is solid
Judah needs to go to Europe
Bell needs his arse kicked kid is an average streak shooting brat who whines. Hope he leaves.
Cuffe might end up playing point next year.
Brown is solid
Taylor needs to transfer to Liberty.
Hima needs to retire
Carey has potential
McCloud is a 10 minute a game backup
Patterson?
Need a scoring forward
Need Chance to be healthy
Need our 5 star to shine
If we have room bring in a starting center. But only a starter. Not a project.
Otherwise roll with McCloud, Carey, Patterson at the 5
Cuffe, Chance, Copeland 1
JJ Moore 2
Frosh, transfer Brown forward.
Lots of kids that can play multiple spots.
Brown: 4, 5
Carey: 4, 5
Cope: 1,2,3
JJ: 2, 1
Cuffe: 1, 2
Chance: 1, 2, 3
Moore: 2,3
Freeman: 3, 4

Starting 5
Chance
JJ
Freeman
Brown
Portal

JJ is solid
Cope is solid
Bell needs his arse kicked kid is an average streak shooting brat who whines. Hope he leaves.
Brown is solid
Hima needs to retire
Carey has potential
Patterson?
Need a scoring forward
Need our 5 star to shine
JJ Moore 2

Starting 5
Chance
JJ
Freeman
Brown
Portal
Making Chance the starting PG after not playing for 2 seasons probably isn’t a winning decision.

Making Chance the starting PG after not playing for 2 seasons probably isn’t a winning decision.
Yes and No. He was really good 5 star good and if he comes back from his injury... If not than who knows. Maybe Judah comes back as he sure isnt going to make the NBA and i dont see him going G league.

Huh? JT took 7 shots in 14 minutes. You want him to heave up more?? No thanks.
No I don't. If I remember correctly most of Taylor's 7 shots came early in the game. Once he realized his shooting sucked, he just passed the ball. Taylor is between a rock and a hard place when he is not defended. Shoot, and more than likely miss, or pass the ball. No matter what, he is a liability either way at this point in time.

No I don't. If I remember correctly most of Taylor's 7 shots came early in the game. Once he realized his shooting sucked, he just passed the ball. Taylor is between a rock and a hard place when he is not defended. Shoot, and more than likely miss, or pass the ball. No matter what, he is a liability either way at this point in time.
He might as well just try to drive and get a bunny at the hoop vs shooting

Yes and No. He was really good 5 star good and if he comes back from his injury... If not than who knows. Maybe Judah comes back as he sure isnt going to make the NBA and i dont see him going G league.
Benny was a fringe 5 star. A few years out, stars don't matter.

JJ is solid
Cope is solid
Brown is solid
Hima needs to retire
Carey has potential
Patterson?
Need a scoring forward
Need our 5 star to shine
JJ Moore 2

Starting 5
Chance
JJ
Freeman
Brown
Portal
Yeah, I'm with your line of thinking. I will say though that I don't think we should keep relegating Copeland as a "spark plug" off the bench for the rest of his career. So, if we don't really have a better alternative at PG, give him a shot.

Center is critical and I agree, if we don't get a good one, then pass on anything that is a project. Let's say we do get a good center, then where/how to play Brown becomes an interesting decision.

I'd like to see Bell come back next year (provided he isn't a distraction and would accept coming off the bench). He could be really good in that role. However, I don't really see it. If he doesn't start, I would guess he portals. Interesting times, that's for sure.

GT wasn't even guarding him yesterday. They were begging him to shoot and Taylor wouldn't even look for his shot. We were 4 on 5 on offense. Taylor's defender could sag into the middle and make it difficult for Mintz and Starling to drive.
Taylor took more shots per 40 minutes than anyone on the team on Saturday. We were 4 on 5 on offense because they were not guarding him and he was still 1-7.

Brutal loss. Played poorly, could not shoot, and let emotions take over. Thoughts?
We take a lot of bad shots.

Q, MIntz, Taylor and Cuffe were a combined 0-11 from 3.

MIntz is shooting 5-23 (21.8%) from 3 in conference play in Jan-Feb; Taylor is 5-26 (19.2%); Q is 3-13 (23.1%) and Cuffe is 2-8 (25%). Combined they are 15-70 (21.4%).

Even wide open 3s are bad shots for them - and we took 11 of them on Saturday.

Say what you want about JB and his quick hook and refusal to let kids play through mistakes but I suspect he won a lot of games by insisting that guys not do things they were not good at, and benching them if they did.

There is certainly more than one way to be successful and Autry clearly more inclined to let guys play through mistakes but I think we need more discipline around shot selection, especially since we are not a great shooting team to being with.

Gtech beat UNC too lol
Honestly, what Gtech has done in conference this year is crazy.

Prior to beating us on Saturday, they were 3-11 with their 3 wins coming against Duke, Carolina and Clemson (on the road no less) and 0-11 against everyone else.

Took only 2 of his 7 shots early in the game. Missed them both.

Missed 2 3s late in first half and took 3 shots in the second half. Went 1-3.

So you are not remembering correctly.

Yes. Autry was certainly paying attention last year and had a clear idea as to who everyone is and isn’t. He does not get a pass just because he was one level down last year. He made some choices last March as head coach and he has responsibility for those choices
And he also had this conversation with Wildhack who must have been on board with the plan, because it was the right thing to do. I always thought this was a free year for Red. Next year the real eye test begins.

Yeah, I'm with your line of thinking. I will say though that I don't think we should keep relegating Copeland as a "spark plug" off the bench for the rest of his career. So, if we don't really have a better alternative at PG, give him a shot.

Center is critical and I agree, if we don't get a good one, then pass on anything that is a project. Let's say we do get a good center, then where/how to play Brown becomes an interesting decision.

I'd like to see Bell come back next year (provided he isn't a distraction and would accept coming off the bench). He could be really good in that role. However, I don't really see it. If he doesn't start, I would guess he portals. Interesting times, that's for sure.
If Brown can play the four Freeman can play the 3

If Brown can play the four Freeman can play the 3
Freeman at the 3 is going to be the same result as when JB tried starting T.Rob, Chris McCollough, and Rak together. Freeman is more of a 4/5.

Taylor took more shots per 40 minutes than anyone on the team on Saturday. We were 4 on 5 on offense because they were not guarding him and he was still 1-7.
Yeah, he was definitely encouraged to keep shooting. As much as it killed momentum at times (all those clanks), I was actually glad to see him try take some shots rather than passing on everything. However, at this point, I'd shut that down. Something is broken and I think he needs a reset (like with another team). Start Copeland and bring Taylor in only to give Cope/JJ a breather for a few minutes at most. We should get Carey back soon so that will help, but then again, that's another offensive liability.

For the rest of the season, I'd like to see no more than about 7-8 minutes of JT and Hima should be replaced 100% for Carey. We roll with a new starting five: Mintz, JJ, Bell, Brown, and Cope. Off the bench... Cuffe, Carey (very limited), and JT (very limited).

Yeah, he was definitely encouraged to keep shooting. As much as it killed momentum at times (all those clanks), I was actually glad to see him try take some shots rather than passing on everything. However, at this point, I'd shut that down. Something is broken and I think he needs a reset (like with another team). Start Copeland and bring Taylor in only to give Cope/JJ a breather for a few minutes at most. We should get Carey back soon so that will help, but then again, that's another offensive liability.
I don't know that he was "encouraged" to keep shooting but he certainly was not discouraged.

And you may have been happy to see him shoot and miss but we lost by 5. Maybe if we take some better shots, we win?

Not to mention that if we don't take all those 0-11 from 3 from guys shooting 3s in the low twenties, maybe we win?

Freeman at the 3 is going to be the same result as when JB tried starting T.Rob, Chris McCollough, and Rak together. Freeman is more of a 4/5.
You don't know this. No one is saying Freeman plays major minutes there. If we're getting crushed on the boards and Bell is having one of his "moments" that's where Freeman can help.

Are you me? I posted this somewhere else. I buried any redemption chances for Taylor when he airballed that wide open look. He's gotta go and luckily I think he'll do it on his own cuz he does not like it up here. Maybe it's the cold weather in CNY.

You don't know this. No one is saying Freeman plays major minutes there. If we're getting crushed on the boards and Bell is having one of his "moments" that's where Freeman can help.
Some insiders said the staff has Donnie slotted as the starter and expects him to be a one and done (not sure if I totally agree). But also Donnie has only played the 4/5 in his high school career and is more of a big than a wing.

I don't know that he was "encouraged" to keep shooting but he certainly was not discouraged.

And you may have been happy to see him shoot and miss but we lost by 5. Maybe if we take some better shots, we win?

Not to mention that if we don't take all those 0-11 from 3 from guys shooting 3s in the low twenties, maybe we win?
Do you really think I was happy to see him shoot and miss? Come on, man. That's a lazy take. Of course those misses hurt. They were painful as hell to watch. My point is that if he's going to start and touch the ball as much as he did, then he should see if he can get his shot to fall when left wide open. I would strongly suspect that's Red's position as well. JT's issues are clearly between his ears right now, and I think it's gotten so bad that he ought to reset by going to another team to continue his college career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom