Georgia Tech Postgame Thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Georgia Tech Postgame Thoughts

Q and Maliq both create a ton of TO'S . but reaching and slapping at the ball is also gonna get you caught . really not too surprising they both fouled out.
with the thin bench we got you gotta play smart and not gamble too often.
not sure what to make of taylor. we're not getting squat out of his minutes.
do you tell him not to shoot and just concentrate on defense and rebounding ?

Last edited:
Q and Maliq both create a ton of TO'S . but reaching and slapping at the ball is also gonna get you caught . really not too surprising they both fouled out.
with the thin bench we got you gotta play smart and not gamble too often.
not sure what to make of taylor. we're not getting squat out of his minutes.
do you tell him not to shoot and just concentrate on defense and rebounding ?
Taylor is a shell of himself. kids' confidence is shot.

maxresdefault.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-18 112855.jpg

Obviously this was a must win.

I missed the game though. Was it that bad or is this a typical board overreaction?

GT wasn't even guarding him yesterday. They were begging him to shoot and Taylor wouldn't even look for his shot.
Huh? JT took 7 shots in 14 minutes. You want him to heave up more?? No thanks.

While watching the game, I was really confused by what was going on with the team. There was so much negativity and arguing. I first noticed it early in the game after Copeland made a shot. Instead of being fired up positively, he looked pissed (again, after making a shot). He was visibly frustrated throughout the game.

The sideline yelling thing looked like Copeland was involved but I watched it several times to try to see who was saying what. It clearly looked like he was trying to be peacemaker between JJ and Bell.

This team is lost. What a mess. I don't blame Red for this. Now, if this happens again next year, then yeah, I'll look to Red but this year, he inherited a lot of issues and got very unlucky with injuries and some other crap that has happened.

I missed the game though. Was it that bad or is this a typical board overreaction?
It was a fairly typical game, the biggest thing is everyone was getting frustrated because shots weren't falling. There was a fair share of wasn't close shots, but the majority just clanged off the rim. If we had even 20% of the misses fall we win easily. If we had made free throws, we win-just not easily. Typical missed assignments on defense aggravated things, as there were a few wide open shots for tech when the game was very much in question. It is one of those games you can tell the coaches have working very hard and some of them are getting it quicker than others. My guess is there are some that screw around in practice and it is now translating into games. This will weed itself out in one of two ways. Either the problem children change and improve or they portal out.

My overall assessment of the team:
  • Brown is really good, very much hope to have him next year and NOT playing center!
  • Bell could end up being really good for us but man is he whiny.
  • Judah thinks he's better than he is. His 3pt shooting has become awful. He's at risk of finishing under 30% for the year. Who the heck would draft him?
  • I really like JJ's improvement this year. He will be a key piece of next year's team.
  • JT is broken (maybe beyond repair). I just don't believe he's this bad. Start ANYONE over him, PLEASE.
  • Cuffe. I really don't know but I'd like to see more.
  • I'm very pro Copeland. Him coming off the bench is stupid.
  • Red. I really don't know. I'm sorta giving him a pass this year. We will know what we have with him next year.

My overall assessment of the team:
  • Brown is really good, very much hope to have him next year and NOT playing center!
  • Bell could end up being really good for us but man is he whiny.
  • Judah thinks he's better than he is. His 3pt shooting has become awful. He's at risk of finishing under 30% for the year. Who the heck would draft him?
  • I really like JJ's improvement this year. He will be a key piece of next year's team.
  • JT is broken (maybe beyond repair). I just don't believe he's this bad. Start ANYONE over him, PLEASE.
  • Cuffe. I really don't know but I'd like to see more.
  • I'm very pro Copeland. Him coming off the bench is stupid.
  • Red. I really don't know. I'm sorta giving him a pass this year. We will know what we have with him next year.

- Brown is a solid player the best player on this talentless team by far. If Freeman is the freshman we all hope he is (including Red) and his best position is at the 4 what do you do with Brown?

-Bell should be shown the door he is apart of the culture problem.

-Mintz shouldn't be on the team next year period.

-JJ will likely start next year at the 2.

-JT should be shown the door for his own mental health

-Cuffe is fine to return as a bench piece 4th guard

-Copeland isn't a starter. If Copeland is the lead guard for the next two years then Red will be looking for a job after year 3 and we will be doing a national search. He is already in his perfect role. 6th man spark off the bench

Overreaction? SU is barely top-100 KP and at least two guys are starting who shouldn’t be. I think this is the right reaction for a bottom quartile ACC team that looks every bit of a bottom quartile ACC team going on a decade of irrelevance.

The overreaction was thinking there was some magic turnaround after shooting the lights out at home against UNC.

Overreaction? SU is barely top-100 KP and at least two guys are starting who shouldn’t be. I think this is the right reaction for a bottom quartile ACC team that looks every bit of a bottom quartile ACC team going on a decade of irrelevance.

The overreaction was thinking there was some magic turnaround after shooting the lights out at home against UNC.

Hard to argue with this. Not to mention, with this particular roster and the overall lack of shooting prowess it possesses, one can make a solid argument that the "lights out" shooting at home against UNC is far more of a statistical outlier than last night's 4 of 24/25 from deep is.

Re-posting:

Maliq: 6pts, 8 boards, 2 assists, 5 steals, 1 block

TWO FG ATTEMPTS. NO MISSES

Separately, there are guys that just can’t play at this level on our roster.

The JJ//Bell/Q argument on the sideline during the timeout leading to Bell’s insane three attempt and Red having to pull him was not fun.
I would like himto become more offensively aggressive.

Maliq (and the team) needs Q running the PnR.

Bell is an emotional mess when things aren’t going his way.
He doesnt do well when he isnt scoring. needs more mental toughness.

Why is players talking it out on the sidelines or in the game a sign of loss of control by coaches? Maybe the non-conspiracy theory version is these are high caliber athletes who are used to winning and care about winning and are pushing each other to get better? These guys know they need to win every game to have a shot at dancing. I think the fact that they are holding each other accountable and trying to fix mistakes is a good sign that they haven’t checked out.

Is it also a sign of loss of control when the players pick each other up and congratulate each other after good plays?

People need to get a grip about the coaching staff. They are doing generally okay with what they got.
Umm… you clearly have not coached. Congratulations, sure. What happened, if you saw it, made it impossible for coaches to communicate with players during a TIMEOUT. It may not be a common occurrence, but I can assure you coaches expect to be listened to at those times. Talking it out. That’s funny.

- Brown is a solid player the best player on this talentless team by far. If Freeman is the freshman we all hope he is (including Red) and his best position is at the 4 what do you do with Brown?

-Bell should be shown the door he is apart of the culture problem.

-Mintz shouldn't be on the team next year period.

-JJ will likely start next year at the 2.

-JT should be shown the door for his own mental health

-Cuffe is fine to return as a bench piece 4th guard

-Copeland isn't a starter. If Copeland is the lead guard for the next two years then Red will be looking for a job after year 3 and we will be doing a national search. He is already in his perfect role. 6th man spark off the bench

It really depends on whether we can get a center in the portal good enough. If not, as much as I want Brown playing his natural position, maybe Brown plays some center and the 4 when Freeman needs a break. I think there would be enough minutes between the 4 and 5 for Brown to log a lot of minutes (which he should). The interesting thing would be if we could land a center from the portal who deserves starting minutes.

I don't know enough to say Bell is part of the culture problem. If he is, then I agree, let him go. Just being whiny about calls isn't a culture problem though. Not sure about Chris.

Bring back Cuffe definitely (as long as he's okay coming off the bench). I really think he could surprise people down the road.

JT needs the witness protection program. Find him another home where he can get a brand new "fresh" start.

Oh, it was bad. But mostly because if they didn't act like children and listened to their coach they would have won. Judah played in the back of the zone for a few minutes late in the game because Bell had a meltdown, if that helps for perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom