Get ready... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Get ready...

Those who understand history , understand that Syracuse football is one on the country's most iconic programs. 1959 Undefeated National Champions,
Jim Brown, Jim Ringo, Jim Nance, John Mackey, Ernie Davis,, Larry Cszonka, Floyd Little, Art Monk, Marvin Harrison, Dwight Freeney, Donovan McNabb, and Al ( Just win baby, just win!) Davis...
The name Syracuse used to be associated with greatness. I have said this for a long time and I will state it again here. I think the National Media is just waiting for Syracuse to become a dominant name in the the college football scene again ,so that this story can be retold. This is a great opportunity for Syracuse to produce excellence on the field again and players responsible for that turnaround, will become legends. This story of redemption is just waiting to be written...We now, have that opportunity. Let's Go Orange!
I'm going to contribute some additional names to your list which is great. I'm also expecting more players to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. These are in no particular order:

*DENOTES HALL OF FAME MEMBER/ SYRACUSE HAS EIGHT, 4TH MOST OF ANY TEAM

*JIM BROWN
ERNIE DAVIS
*FLOYD LITTLE
*LARRY CSONKA
*MARVIN HARRISON
*ART MONK
*JOHN MACKEY
DONOVAN MCNABB
*JIM RINGO
*AL DAVIS
DWIGHT FREENEY
TIM GREEN
JOE MORRIS
DON MCPHERSON
DARYL JONSTON
JIM RIDLON
KEITH BULLOCK
ROB MOORE
DONOVAN DARIUS
QADRY ISMAIL

Bolden and AJ Harris are the next surprises... We are going to be a top 10 recruiting class gang.
Comedy Reaction GIF by Jo Koy

Been saying this forever. We are a sleeping giant that needed to be woken up. Fran Brown just put the smelling salts right up our nostrils. LFG
And, lest we forget...
In the big picture of conference realignment, we are the ONLY FBS program, in the biggest media market in the country- NYS.
If we start winning consistently, suddenly a look-see from the B1G or SEC, is no longer so far-fetched.

As I look at the roster, if Wax, Justin Barron and Oronde Gadsden all come back, this is going to be a really talented team.

I see maybe 3 guys at WR who may leave for greener pastures, maybe a couple more DBs, with all we appear to have coming in. I could also see a couple RBs leave to make room for the incoming guys.

We are deep with players at OL, I think Tomcat said 10 with prior starting experience, but 2 coming off injuries, and probably another 3 needed, minimum from JUCOs or the portal - ready to play guys, to protect our 5 star QB from Ohio State.

If we are going to play 4-3 on defense, we still need a couple interior linemen who are ready to play. Those portal guys are critical here, and could make this a really good team next year, if we can snag one or two of the DTs out there.

If Wax and Barron are back, OMG, we are deep through the middle of the defense.

This is going to look like a whole new team next year. I could see some of the better players maybe wanting to run it back one more, with the possibility of something special so obviously in the air.

And, lest we forget...
In the big picture of conference realignment, we are the ONLY FBS program, in the biggest media market in the country- NYS.
If we start winning consistently, suddenly a look-see from the B1G or SEC, is no longer so far-fetched.
If we start winning in football and basketball again we lock down NYC, and East Coast down to DC.

I'm going to contribute some additional names to your list which is great. I'm also expecting more players to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. These are in no particular order:

*DENOTES HALL OF FAME MEMBER/ SYRACUSE HAS EIGHT, 4TH MOST OF ANY TEAM

*JIM BROWN
ERNIE DAVIS
*FLOYD LITTLE
*LARRY CSONKA
*MARVIN HARRISON
*ART MONK
*JOHN MACKEY
DONOVAN MCNABB
*JIM RINGO
*AL DAVIS
DWIGHT FREENEY
TIM GREEN
JOE MORRIS
DON MCPHERSON
DARYL JONSTON
JIM RIDLON
KEITH BULLOCK
ROB MOORE
DONOVAN DARIUS
QADRY ISMAIL
I still don’t understand why Joe Morris doesn’t get more love

I still don’t understand why Joe Morris doesn’t get more love
I have a theory about that. Joe was of my era, was in a few classes together, etc. For all the old heads, if you remember he started out sharing the backfield w/ none other than future HOF WR Art Monk.
Eventually, they moved Art and since Joe was blowing up, offered him "44" to keep up the great tradition.
However, Joe said no, that he'd rather be the first Joe Morris, and not the next...anyone else.
I believe that if he'd accepted the number, he'd be much more renowned today as part of the string of great RB's at SU. Kinda sad that he doesn't immediately come to mind when the great ones are mentioned. JMHO

Last edited:
I have a theory about that. Joe was of my era, was in a few classes together, etc. For all the old heads, if you remember he started out sharing the backfield w/ none other than future HOF WR Art Monk.
Eventually, they moved Art and since Joe was blowing up, offered him "44" to keep up the great tradition.
However, Joe said no, that he'd rather be the first Joe Morris, and not the next...anyone else.
I believe that if he'd accepted the number, he'd be much more renowned today as part of the string of great RB's at SU. Kinda sad that he doesn't immediately come to mind when the great ones are mentioned. JMHO
Joe is an all timer

Came home for the dome opener. That KO got that place rocking.

It also doesn't help that he never got to play on a good team. It's kind of remarkable he's as big a legend as he is considering the best team he was on was 7-5.

His time with the Giants cemented his legacy, not his time at SU.
I know it's different for everyone, but pro success doesn't necessarily affect SU legacy for me. A couple examples for me would be Marvin Graves vs Ryan Nassib or Don McPherson vs Todd Philcox.

It's significant that Morris is our last RB to have really good running stats in the pros and he has the superbowl ring. I don't think he needed that for his SU legacy, or at least he shouldn't. I think he still has our record for most rushing yards per game in a season and he had 3 seasons over 1,000 yards.

I know it's different for everyone, but pro success doesn't necessarily affect SU legacy for me. A couple examples for me would be Marvin Graves vs Ryan Nassib or Don McPherson vs Todd Philcox.

It's significant that Morris is our last RB to have really good running stats in the pros and he has the superbowl ring. I don't think he needed that for his SU legacy, or at least he shouldn't. I think he still has our record for most rushing yards per game in a season and he had 3 seasons over 1,000 yards.

I agree. Being a big Joe Morris fan made me care about the Giants for a few years, not the other way around.

Me too. Joe and I graduated in '82. At alumni leaders meeting many moons ago, Steiner Sports gave away a piece of 2003 championship memorabilia. 2 part question to win. First question, leading rusher in SU history. 1/2 the room knew. 2nd question, what year did he graduate. Only one guy knew and that piece is hanging in my office!

I agree. Being a big Joe Morris fan made me care about the Giants for a few years, not the other way around.

Where did he have more success? That way my point. Joe only matters because he later played for a Super Bowl winning NYG team. Nobody will wax lyrical about his Cherry Bowl accomplishments. I think that was his only year we made a bowl, with Hurley, Monk and Morris. Hard to believe, in retrospect.

Where did he have more success? That way my point. Joe only matters because he later played for a Super Bowl winning NYG team. Nobody will wax lyrical about his Cherry Bowl accomplishments. I think that was his only year we made a bowl, with Hurley, Monk and Morris. Hard to believe, in retrospect.
That's one way of looking at it, I guess. Maybe his Giants days are all that matter to outsiders, but he was a great player here, regardless of team accomplishments. Some of my favorites did little to nothing at the next level. What they do here means way more to me, personally. If they're successful pros it's icing on the cake.

He only matters because he later played for a superbowl ring? Huh? He doesn't matter because of all the yards he piled up and memories he gave people while at SU?

That's one way of looking at it, I guess. Maybe his Giants days are all that matter to outsiders, but he was a great player here, regardless of team accomplishments. Some of my favorites did little to nothing at the next level. What they do here means way more to me, personally. If they're successful pros it's icing on the cake.

Look, I was a fan back then, living here in Syracuse and surrounding environs, and we just weren't very good while he was here. He was a 4 year starter, but we only had 1 winning season, which was 7-5, and if I recall correctly, we played in a first-year bowl game against McNeese State. His all-time record on the hill was 1 bowl game, lots of yards, but 3 losing seasons out of 4.

To put it in perspective, without his career with the Giants, he would be no more famous, IMO, than Curtis Brinkley, Walter Reyes or DeLone Carter.

Last edited:
Look, I was a fan back then, living here in Syracuse and surrounding environs, and we just weren't very good while he was here. He was a 4 year starter, but we only had 1 winning season, which was 7-5, and if I recall correctly, we played in a first-year bowl game against McNeese State. His all-time record on the hill was 1 bowl game, lots of yards, but 3 losing seasons out of 4.
So, do you only see team success, or was he not a bright spot during an otherwise dim period?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom