Gill on driving the lane | Syracusefan.com

Gill on driving the lane

GooseMutt

All Conference
I'm blown away by his speed and consistent ability to make these crazy backboard lay ups with either hand. Is it luck or is this the real deal? With his high FT percentage what a gift he is in close games.

I'm blown away by his speed and consistent ability to make these crazy backboard lay ups with either hand. Is it luck or is this the real deal? With his high FT percentage what a gift he is in close games.
I love JG but just remember, its one thing to make those shots against 66" 68" guys, but its another thing to make them against uncs or duks bigs. Against the top teams sometimes hes gonna have to dump the ball off instead of taking those "crazy" shots as you put it. Imo

I love JG but just remember, its one thing to make those shots against 66" 68" guys, but its another thing to make them against uncs or duks bigs. Against the top teams sometimes hes gonna have to dump the ball off instead of taking those "crazy" shots as you put it. Imo
I understand that as conventional wisdom, but Gillon routinely makes those shots and finishes drives in practice.

He can definitely do it against bigger, more athletic defenders. He also has a strong feel for when to pass versus when to take it to the tin, so I wouldn't anticipate any issues.

Last edited:
I understand that as conventional wisdom, but Gillon routinely makes those shots and finishes drives in practice.

He can definitely do it against bigger, more athletic defenders. He also has a strong feel for when to pass versus when to take it to the tin, so I wouldn't anticipate any issues.
I cant disagree. But this drives me crazy, and i know you ll remember the play. In the first half he got out on fast break with two other SU guys, 3 on 1 basically. the proper play is to make quick passes that lead to a dunk. He kept it, got fouled , took a circus shot, missed; made one of two free throws. That should have been two easy points. Hes a great player, but he should have passed it there, most especially against a unc. No biggy

There's a reason why we're running more but it's not just him. They pretty much all can run. Most of Roberson's buckets last night came on the break. But Battle...wow! There was one 3 on 2 break in the second half where he just dribbled right past two defenders to lay it in. For a kid his size, he's got blazing speed.

Agree but two points: this kid maybe the best circus shot finisher I have seen and when you are 5'9" is there really any substantial difference between a 6'8" defender and a 6'11" defender?

If the backboard was 6" shorter at the top, Johnie probably doesn't make a couple of those shots. They seemed to be hitting the board on the way up and going well above the top and then down to the hoop. Will taller defenders make a difference? Could be, but I'm anxious to see.

HoustonCuse said:
Agree but two points: this kid maybe the best circus shot finisher I have seen and when you are 5'9" is there really any substantial difference between a 6'8" defender and a 6'11" defender?

Nope, it is a skill, and he is a master. Shorter guys have to be more creative around the basket. He knows how to get shots up over the big guys. Sometimes it is getting the ball up a bit earlier than bigs are used to, which will make them commit sooner, allowing him to dump the ball off easier. I wish we always had a guard with these skills, even of they are only 5'9".

Nope, it is a skill, and he is a master. Shorter guys have to be more creative around the basket. He knows how to get shots up over the big guys. Sometimes it is getting the ball up a bit earlier than bigs are used to, which will make them commit sooner, allowing him to dump the ball off easier. I wish we always had a guard with these skills, even of they are only 5'9".
Spot on.

I think there is when one plays at Colgate and one plays at UNC/Duke

I'm interesting in seeing how he progresses. I think thus far he seems to go into the bigs without an eye to pass enough leaving him with no other option but to throw up a crazy shot. Against better teams/defenses we'll see how that translates. It's so early though, hard to make much of a judgment, seems to have a knack for scoring though so not much to complain about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom