Gillon was horrendous tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gillon was horrendous tonight

Gillon is better than Howard. But Gillon struggles against good defensive teams that guard him closely. Could have figured that tonight. He has no mid range game and is an average passer, at best. With Gillon it's either 3 pointer or drive to the basket and fouled for free throws. Problem tonight is he couldn't get open for many 3s and missed them when he did. When he drove, many times Lammers altered his shot and intimidated him.

It looked like the 40 point game was going to be a springboard to big things.

Instead it appears to have been a springboard into concrete.
That game went to his head. It's pretty obvious. He had a once and a lifetime game and since then he has been poor. He plays outside his game, and seems to forget he is 5'9.

as OttoMets is fond of saying, "JB says stuff"

Honestly, Howard may have been our best player against UL. Which is shocking, because dude sucks, but tis true.

Tonight, meh, but whatever, Gillon destroyed us.

I can't say I was a big fan of Gillon making about 3 errors in 90 seconds, Battle hitting a jumper, and JB putting in Howard for Battle. Perplexed.

Complete outlier

It was going to be an outlier regardless if he continued to play well after it.

40 point games in college basketball are outliers.

That said... we don't need the guy to score 40. We need him to simply be okay out there. And he just hasn't been, sans some big threes late in games.

After his first drive and dish in the game, I was all for Gillon. I thought he was going to finally be a point guard. That was his only good decision the entire game. I have no idea why he just holds the ball until about 10 seconds in the shot clock for 1/2 the plays. He either takes an ill-advised shot/drive or dumps it to Battle or White with 3-5 secs left in the shot clock. I know that GT had a nasty shot blocker, but it felt like Cuse had a big lead and were trying to kill time the entire second half (which they obviously didn't). Gillon sucks the life out of the offense

It's because Gillon is horrible at basketball. Just atrocious. Can't shoot, can't drive, can't pass, can't defend, doesn't hustle, is a turnover machine. Is just a pure zero out there. I have not seen a worse game from a Cuse player, maybe ever. JB is so unbelievable wrong on this, as are many on this forum. Sure Frank has been bad, especially earlier in the year when he was positively Gillon-esque for a stretch. But he seems to have righted the ship a little, and we even went on our only run of the game yest at the end of the first half. He is playing on a while different level from Gillon (aka he is a C+, Gillon is an .) How can Jimmy not have played Frank more last night? Does Gillon have incriminating photos of him or something? That is the only logical explanation. At this point I wish he didn't light it up against Nc State so everyone could stop using that as a point in his favor and we could just cut him loose.

I mean I really hated Scoop's game, but in retrospect I would love to take back every bad thing I ever said about the guy. Had no idea how good we had it. With Scoop this team would be a 4 seed. With Gillon, we are an embarrassment to the game of basketball.

I swear the crowd heckling got into his head (chanting "air ball" every time he touched it). That is not an excuse at all, but he seemed tentative and indecisive the remainder of the game. He would pass up the open shot for an easy pass. Same with lack of driving.

Honestly, Howard may have been our best player against UL. Which is shocking, because dude sucks, but tis true.

Tonight, meh, but whatever, Gillon destroyed us.

I can't say I was a big fan of Gillon making about 3 errors in 90 seconds, Battle hitting a jumper, and JB putting in Howard for Battle. Perplexed.
Even the announcers were perplexed.

I swear the crowd heckling got into his head (chanting "air ball" every time he touched it). That is not an excuse at all, but he seemed tentative and indecisive the remainder of the game. He would pass up the open shot for an easy pass. Same with lack of driving.

I think he took the rushed 3s because the crowd was heckling him and he wanted to prove them wrong

Gillon is better than Howard. But Gillon struggles against good defensive teams that guard him closely. Could have figured that tonight. He has no mid range game and is an average passer, at best. With Gillon it's either 3 pointer or drive to the basket and fouled for free throws. Problem tonight is he couldn't get open for many 3s and missed them when he did. When he drove, many times Lammers altered his shot and intimidated him.
I see nothing that supports your position that Gillon is better than Howard.

Howard was a headcase who has played well in the past few games.

Howard has more size and talent than Gillon.

Another thing Howard has that Gillon does not.. potential.

I see nothing that supports your position that Gillon is better than Howard.

Howard was a headcase who has played well in the past few games.

Howard has more size and talent than Gillon.

Another thing Howard has that Gillon does not.. potential.

No offense, but that is really over the top. Howard is a far inferior lead guard, despite Gillon's struggles and despite what some of you would like to pretend. Howard HAS played better in the last couple of games, but still isn't accomplishing very much out there.

This team righting the ship coincided with Gillon replacing Howard in the lineup, and they've beaten good teams with him as the starter. You are taking a slump and blowing it significantly out of proportion. And I say that fully acknowledging that Gillon was extremely frustrating the last few games, and that we can't win when he isn't making stronger contributions as BOTH a lead guard and a scorer.

"Potential" -- shaking my head. It's getting really thick in here.

BTW, Howard is my favorite player on the team [or at least he was].

No offense, but that is really over the top. Howard is a far inferior lead guard, despite Gillon's struggles and despite what some of you would like to pretend. Howard HAS played better in the last couple of games, but still isn't accomplishing very much out there.

This team righting the ship coincided with Gillon replacing Howard in the lineup, and they've beaten good teams with him as the starter. You are taking a slump and blowing it significantly out of proportion.

Potential as in Howard is a sophomore 6'4 guard.

Gillon is like 5'8 and will be gone next year. It's not like he's helping us win this year... In fact, as of late, he's actively helping the opponent beat us.

This team righting the ship coincided with Gillon replacing Howard in the lineup, and they've beaten good teams with him as the starter. You are taking a slump and blowing it significantly out of proportion.

I think the thing no one else is considering, and you'd be a great one to speak to this, is that we don't need to see the Gillon who was constantly looking over his shoulder from the beginning of the season. I'd like to see JB implement a system whereby our three guards are rotated equitably (not equally) onto the floor depending on who is producing, with Battle and Gillon getting the lionshare of minutes. Not ripping a kid out for a simple mistake, but looking for situational substitutions, etc.

Potential as in Howard is a sophomore 6'4 guard.

Gillon is like 5'8 and will be gone next year. It's not like he's helping us win this year... In fact, as of late, he's actively helping the opponent beat us.

Howard has more defensive "potential" too, as a 6-4 guard compared to the 5-8 Gillon. But he's not actualizing any of that potential, because he's a sieve defensively. So the "potential" argument doesn't really matter much, IMO.

It would be terrific for Howard to right the ship, somehow get back into the coaching staff's good graces, and have a nice finish to his career. I just don't know if that is reasonable to expect on many fronts.

Howard has more defensive "potential" too, as a 6-4 guard compared to the 5-8 Gillon. But he's not actualizing any of that potential, because he's a sieve defensively. So the "potential" argument doesn't really matter much, IMO.

It would be terrific for Howard to right the ship, somehow get back into the coaching staff's good graces, and have a nice finish to his career. I just don't know if that is reasonable to expect on many fronts.

He was much better defensively last night. Had a steal and knocked at least one other pass out of bounds. And contests shots much better than Gillon lately.

not trying to keep jumping on you about this Gillon/Howard thing but Howard has been less of a sieve on D than Gillon the last few games

I think the thing no one else is considering, and you'd be a great one to speak to this, is that we don't need to see the Gillon who was constantly looking over his shoulder from the beginning of the season. I'd like to see JB implement a system whereby our three guards are rotated equitably (not equally) onto the floor depending on who is producing, with Battle and Gillon getting the lionshare of minutes. Not ripping a kid out for a simple mistake, but looking for situational substitutions, etc.

If JB feels like he can trust Howard more now [and it isn't clear to me that this is the case], then I'd be in favor of that. JB is prone to hyperbole, but his comments in the press conference offer a glimpse into his thought process about what he thinks about playing Gillon versus Howard at the point.

And again--just to be clear--Gillon stunk last night for 37 minutes. The team simply needs him to be better. We aren't a good enough team to compensate for a guy not bringing it every night and playing heavy minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom