Gillon was horrendous tonight | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gillon was horrendous tonight

If JB feels like he can trust Howard more now [and it isn't clear to me that this is the case], then I'd be in favor of that. JB is prone to hyperbole, but his comments in the press conference offer a glimpse into his thought process about what he thinks about playing Gillon versus Howard at the point.

And again--just to be clear--Gillon stunk last night for 37 minutes. The team simply needs him to be better. We aren't a good enough team to compensate for a guy not bringing it every night and playing heavy minutes.

That's it right there. Too many minutes when he didn't have it.

He was much better defensively last night. Had a steal and knocked at least one other pass out of bounds. And contests shots much better than Gillon lately.

On paper. He also plays a lot fewer minutes, which prevents him from getting exposed defensively like he was earlier in the season.

Here's hoping he continues to play well. The team could sure use it. I'm encouraged by him re-finding his lost shooting touch.

not trying to keep jumping on you about this Gillon/Howard thing but Howard has been less of a sieve on D than Gillon the last few games

I don't want to get lumped into this just being a thing with me blindly defending Gillon, because that's not what I'm doing. Some of the criticism / lineup change suggestions / etc. just feel knee jerk to me. Very similar to what people were saying about Cooney last year.

But bottom line: we aren't going to beat anybody of significance when 2 of our top 3 scorers go scoreless deep into the second half. That's what we got from Lydon / Gillon yesterday, and that's not going to cut it. Especially with our postseason lives on the line down the stretch.

I think the thing no one else is considering, and you'd be a great one to speak to this, is that we don't need to see the Gillon who was constantly looking over his shoulder from the beginning of the season. I'd like to see JB implement a system whereby our three guards are rotated equitably (not equally) onto the floor depending on who is producing, with Battle and Gillon getting the lionshare of minutes. Not ripping a kid out for a simple mistake, but looking for situational substitutions, etc.

I wrote an article before the last 3 game stretch that Howard (and Roberson) were key factors for us if we were to make a run. I said we needed to stop using the bench as a deterrent essentially. Instead of yanking Gillon when he screws up and putting in Howard, JB should put Howard at the scorer's table before a tv timeout and then get him in. Make Howard feel like he's part of the rotation. He's sort of done that. Howard has been better the past 3 games. Not sure of it's a cause and effect.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure Howard is good enough to play much bigger minutes than he's been getting in the past 3 games. We just have to hope Gillon brings it.

I think the thing no one else is considering, and you'd be a great one to speak to this, is that we don't need to see the Gillon who was constantly looking over his shoulder from the beginning of the season. I'd like to see JB implement a system whereby our three guards are rotated equitably (not equally) onto the floor depending on who is producing, with Battle and Gillon getting the lionshare of minutes. Not ripping a kid out for a simple mistake, but looking for situational substitutions, etc

I would like to see this too. However, when Gillon and Howard have been in at the same time during the Pitt and Lville games, it was difficult to watch. They would each dribble for 5 secs and then pass the ball back to the other guy. Absolutely no flow

Unfortunately, I'm not sure Howard is good enough to play much bigger minutes than he's been getting in the past 3 games. We just have to hope Gillon brings it
I think he has been getting better as he is playing more minutes (and not getting yanked out after 1-2 minutes)

I think he has been getting better as he is playing more minutes (and not getting yanked out after 1-2 minutes)

Oh, I agree. That's why I think he should get the amount of minutes he been getting the past 3 games. Much more than that and I will expect him to show more of his deficiencies.

It's because Gillon is horrible at basketball. Just atrocious. Can't shoot, can't drive, can't pass, can't defend, doesn't hustle, is a turnover machine. Is just a pure zero out there. I have not seen a worse game from a Cuse player, maybe ever. JB is so unbelievable wrong on this, as are many on this forum. Sure Frank has been bad, especially earlier in the year when he was positively Gillon-esque for a stretch. But he seems to have righted the ship a little, and we even went on our only run of the game yest at the end of the first half. He is playing on a while different level from Gillon (aka he is a C+, Gillon is an .) How can Jimmy not have played Frank more last night? Does Gillon have incriminating photos of him or something? That is the only logical explanation. At this point I wish he didn't light it up against Nc State so everyone could stop using that as a point in his favor and we could just cut him loose.

I mean I really hated Scoop's game, but in retrospect I would love to take back every bad thing I ever said about the guy. Had no idea how good we had it. With Scoop this team would be a 4 seed. With Gillon, we are an embarrassment to the game of basketball.

Gillon is shooting 40% on the year, that tells me he can shoot.

Gillon has a better than 2/1 assist to turnover ratio.

You do realize that Frank Howard is shooting 32% from three and has the same turnover ratio as Gillon and plays 12 less minutes a game on average?

Gillon did have 5 turnovers yesterday but and had 6 assists, you do know Howard had 2 turnovers and 2 assists in 12 minutes? If that's righting the ship then give me Gillon every single day over Howard.

Howard is bad and JB is right, much worse than Gillon. The numbers are very easy to decipher.

I see nothing that supports your position that Gillon is better than Howard.

Gillon had a bad shooting night, Howard still isn't a better shooter than Gillon. Howard had 2 turnovers and 2 assists, Gillon wasn't great but had 6 assists against 5 turnovers.

I know we want to believe there is an answer and want to believe that a 6'5" point guard is our answer and he has potential but it goes back to last year, Howard is just not good, the numbers show that and he doesn't even pass the eye test on the court.

Gillon is shooting 40% on the year, that tells me he can shoot.

Gillon has a better than 2/1 assist to turnover ratio.

You do realize that Frank Howard is shooting 32% from three and has the same turnover ratio as Gillon and plays 12 less minutes a game on average?

Gillon did have 5 turnovers yesterday but and had 6 assists, you do know Howard had 2 turnovers and 2 assists in 12 minutes? If that's righting the ship then give me Gillon every single day over Howard.

Howard is bad and JB is right, much worse than Gillon. The numbers are very easy to decipher.
On the year, yes.. My eye test over the past few games tells me Howard brings more to the table than Gillon.

On the year, yes.. My eye test over the past few games tells me Howard brings more to the table than Gillon.

During the 5 game winning streak Howard averaged 7.6 minutes a game. During our 3 game losing streak he's averaged 19 minutes a game and had a combined 6 assists and 5 turnovers.

Maybe not the answer but the more the kid plays the more we lose.

The more you break it down, with strictly ACC play:

Syracuse wins: Howard averages 7.8 minutes a game.

Syracuse losses: Howard averages 16.5 minutes a game.

Not the largest sample but to me it shows something.

On the season, John Gillon's BPM is 4.5 (points above a a league average player per 100 possessions), Howard is at a 2.6.

During the 5 game winning streak Howard averaged 7.6 minutes a game. During our 3 game losing streak he's averaged 19 minutes a game and had a combined 6 assists and 5 turnovers.

Maybe not the answer but the more the kid plays the more we lose.
During the 5 game winning streak, John Gillon was playing like a competent point guard and we weren't shooting like 25% from 3.

Gillon is the best option we have there whether some people hate to admit it or not.
maybe so, but it seems to me that if he has an average offensive night, then he's a net negative because he is so bad on the defensive end. and when he has a below average night offensively, then he kills us.

NC State and FSU were outliers, we shouldn't count on seeing anything like them very often.

During the 5 game winning streak, John Gillon was playing like a competent point guard and we weren't shooting like 25% from 3.

I don't know JB's reason with riding Gillon, but my guess and what I would do is I'd ride him because I'm more confident that Gillon can hit some shots if he keeps shooting; I don't believe Howard is capable of being a legitimate 3 point threat and that's why I don't have a problem with what he's doing at point guard.

i cant stand how end of halves or end of games the play is "give gillon the ball and let him drive". awful awful awful. the reason we won the clemson game is cause gillon gave the ball up early. its cost us big time the end of the last 2 games, and its cost us a bunch of times the end of halfs.

The more you break it down, with strictly ACC play:

Syracuse wins: Howard averages 7.8 minutes a game.

Syracuse losses: Howard averages 16.5 minutes a game.

Not the largest sample but to me it shows something.

On the season, John Gillon's BPM is 4.5 (points above a a league average player per 100 possessions), Howard is at a 2.6.
I would be careful about correlation vs. causation when it comes to minutes. Backups enter the game when the starters are sucking, or are in foul trouble. Looking at Win Shares and other advanced metrics, Gillon does beat Howard by a long shot. Have to give credit there for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom