Girard Slump | Syracusefan.com

Girard Slump

CsonkaStash

Starter
Listen, I know we are not allowed to critique Joe because he is a freshman, but what is going on with his shot ? He is 10 for his last 41 from three good for 24% and is 17/59 total which means he is shooting only 28% on field goals in the last 5 or 6 games. He has gotten more steals and actually had 9 rebounds vs ND but what is his deal.

If you look at it, he is actually missing free throws more frequently as well...I love Joe and his swagger but he needs to get it back and contribute. In my opinion, we need him to play well to make the tourney. If he doesn't we are done...I just wonder what is going on with his shot. I know highschool is highschool but he just made kids look silly and his shot looked so pure. I saw him a few times live and his shot doesn't look right to me, less rotation, more flat. Is he rushing it, is it mental. This heart cannot take another Cooney mental case, calling Rene Russo from Tin Cup

Listen, I know we are not allowed to critique Joe because he is a freshman, but what is going on with his shot ? He is 10 for his last 41 from three good for 24% and is 17/59 total which means he is shooting only 28% on field goals in the last 5 or 6 games. He has gotten more steals and actually had 9 rebounds vs ND but what is his deal.

If you look at it, he is actually missing free throws more frequently as well...I love Joe and his swagger but he needs to get it back and contribute. In my opinion, we need him to play well to make the tourney. If he doesn't we are done...I just wonder what is going on with his shot. I know highschool is highschool but he just made kids look silly and his shot looked so pure. I saw him a few times live and his shot doesn't look right to me, less rotation, more flat. Is he rushing it, is it mental. This heart cannot take another Cooney mental case, calling Rene Russo from Tin Cup
The proverbial wall

he is 8 for his last 11. He missed two against Duke. A career high in misses. He's 58 for 63 on the season. I think his FT shooting is absolutely fine

hit the wall. Lots of minutes and lots of focus bringing the ball up court. I think he will be fine and just needs to get some good looks and knock them down. Agree, he is critically important to any success we have this year. We need a big game from him Tuesday as that is the game of the year for us.
Cuse!

take some better shots but keep shooting. he'll got 8/11 in the next few games

certainly inconsistent. He had a great floor game against duke, he was equally as bad saturday, he kept wake in the game by himself with turnovers and run outs on bad shots

His goal is to win. He does so much out there to get players involved and we need him. He’s verbal. He’s a floor general. If he sees the need to shoot and score he will. Slumps happen but he’s a very busy boy right now doing other things

He probably doesn't quite have the legs for 30+ minutes of conference level play yet and it's taking a toll.

Plus, freshmen... not many have great shooting percentages. It takes a little while to figure out.

Last edited:

Better sound the alarm for Hughes, too. He's 10-46 from deep in his last seven games (and that includes a 4-9 game). I think it's just a matter of two volume 3-point shooters going through slumps, which happens. The team is 5-2 over this stretch, so they're finding other ways to generate offense and win games.

is 10 for his last 41 from three good for 24% and is 17/59 total which means he is shooting only 28% on field goals in the last 5 or 6 games. He has gott
hit the wall. Lots of minutes and lots of focus bringing the ball up court. I think he will be fine and just needs to get some good looks and knock them down. Agree, he is critically important to any success we have this year. We need a big game from him Tuesday as that is the game of the year for us.
Cuse!

Absolutely agree, if he hits a few he can get streaky

I seem to remember Buddy B going through the same thing his freshman year. I worry more about Hughes who seemingly had taken a downturn recently.
Meanwhile the ladies won a big one yesterday.
Buddy struggled mightily with his 3-point shooting early last season, then found his shot and made over 40% of them in conference play. That was certainly not the normal developmental arc you see in a freshman, and signaled that he was a special shooting talent.

If defenses start noting his% dip and start hedging away from him when Hughes and buddy have the ball up top then he has to sit. His lack of athleticism and poor defense has to be countered with good offense and spacing or Goodine needs to get more PT.

His shot selection is horrible and gets worse when we go into a drought. As does his passing it seems. Don't think he's hit a wall, just needs to calm down. I still think he contributes when not scoring.
I agree with this. At this point in his career, I think Joe is only reliable shooting 3s where he is open and reasonably close to the 3 point circle. I think he is taking more contested 3s, or 3s from well beyond the 3 point circle in recent games and it is hurting his shooting percentage.

The same applies to Elijah.

If we are to finish the year well, we have to do a better job with shot selection. Across the board.

Yes, he has hit a bit of a slump, but to speculate that he is a mental case is overboard. I think it is much more physical than mental.

Culmination of a lot of minutes, a lot of responsibility running the offense, having to expend a lot of energy on D since he doesn't cover as much ground as guys longer and quicker. There's now scouting reports on him so teams have a better idea of what he can do and how to defend him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom