Girard Slump | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Girard Slump

If defenses start noting his% dip and start hedging away from him when Hughes and buddy have the ball up top then he has to sit. His lack of athleticism and poor defense has to be countered with good offense and spacing or Goodine needs to get more PT.
I hope teams do start playing off Joe so he will get a few more open looks. This offense can be dynamic when at least two of our three deep shooters are on, and particularly so with the emergence of Guerrier and Dolezaj as scoring threats.

Last edited:
I’m worried the amount of minutes early in the season is starting to impact joeg and Hughes. Hughes was playing almost 40 minutes against mediocre teams in the beginning of the season. It would be good to get Howard and goodine about 7-10 minutes each game. Probably will not happen but it would help the starters down the stretch.

Joe G is the best PG we have. Best handle. Good assist/TO ratio. Usually doesn't make bad TOs. Goodine showed no PG skills and his good moments have come playing off the point. Now is not the time to try to "teach" Goodine to play point. I'd like to see him get 6-8 minutes at SG at the top of the zone spelling Buddy when he goes out or moves down to the 3. Playing guys 40 minutes is just ugh.

I think that as teams have adjusted to him, he’s been stepping farther behind the arc for his attempts. Reminds me a little of how GMac’s percentage declined as he got more attention and pushed his range out.

Can both guys make extra long 3’s? Yes. But your percentage 3ft behind the arc is always going to be lower than your percentage 6in behind the arc.

Of course, this is just my perception. Maybe he’s not shooting deeper 3’s nor shooting them more frequently, but it feels like he’s been forced to take longer and more off-balance shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carmelo Anthony sat for 3 minutes in the NC game and averaged 36 mpg during the tourney.

He, Warrick, and GMac should have played 40 and it wouldn't have been a close game.

Pace and Edelin coming off the bench...they were just as good as most of our starters.

Would like to see more Goodine, but not for Girard. That’s gotta be Washington coming in for him.

I think that as teams have adjusted to him, he’s been stepping farther behind the arc for his attempts. Reminds me a little of how GMac’s percentage declined as he got more attention and pushed his range out.

Can both guys make extra long 3’s? Yes. But your percentage 3ft behind the arc is always going to be lower than your percentage 6in behind the arc.

Of course, this is just my perception. Maybe he’s not shooting deeper 3’s nor shooting them more frequently, but it feels like he’s been forced to take longer and more off-balance shots.

I feel like he shoots off balance unnecessarily a lot of times. Maybe it’s a habit from having to take 50 shots a game while double teamed in high school? But he seems to drift often, when he doesn’t need to. Buddy’s footwork is way better, and he’s always square.

Joe clearly has the stroke - his FT% is proof of that. IMO he needs work on his feet and balance when shooting.

Pace and Edelin coming off the bench...they were just as good as most of our starters.

Would like to see more Goodine, but not for Girard. That’s gotta be Washington coming in for him.

Yeah being the 4th guard is a lonely job, but I would like to see more Goodine as well. He looks good atop the zone. An element we're missing this year.

I feel like he shoots off balance unnecessarily a lot of times. Maybe it’s a habit from having to take 50 shots a game while double teamed in high school? But he seems to drift often, when he doesn’t need to.
Buddy’s footwork is way better, and he’s always square.

Joe clearly has the stroke - his FT% is proof of that.
IMO he needs work on his feet and balance when shooting.

So, you're saying his potatoes are shaky? ;)

Where have we seen this malady before?... :p

I hope teams do start playing off Joe so he will get a few more open looks. This offense can be dynamic when at least two of our three deep shooters are on, and particularly so with the emergence of Guerrier and Dolezaj as scoring threats.

Concur.

I feel like we just need 1.5 at any given time though! One guy on fire, like Buddy/Eli were usually good for a half like that most of the year (Eli certainly in a tailspin of late) and one guy just hitting at a normal clip. The other guy just adds another dimension...I still think we have a game this year where all three go wild (like UVA OT) and we blow the doors off some poor team.

That being said, I'll worry when I start cringing on JGIII's shots...I'm not there yet, so I'm still okay. I cringe at shot selection at times, but not yet on the whole going in thing. :)

the defenses we face will now be focused on shutting down eli and buddy. they take the vast majority of our shots every game. joe g will get his open looks. just gotta stroke them. i believe he's more than capable.

I agree with this. At this point in his career, I think Joe is only reliable shooting 3s where he is open and reasonably close to the 3 point circle. I think he is taking more contested 3s, or 3s from well beyond the 3 point circle in recent games and it is hurting his shooting percentage.

The same applies to Elijah.

If we are to finish the year well, we have to do a better job with shot selection. Across the board.
He's probably used to hero ball from Glens Falls

Girard doesn’t have the ability to score in many ways. He has trouble getting to the basket and doesn’t realty possess a pull-up jumper. For him, it’s essentially about making open 3s and free throws. I’m hopeful he’ll adjust as a scorer over his career. But right now teams are taking away his strength and he really doesn’t really have many options. Can’t fault, however, his competitiveness.

Hes not playing NYS B level comp anymore. All things considered he is doing very well. Personally he needs to play less. Washington or Goodine should see a minimum 5 minutes combined a half and give joe and Buddy bench time.

Girard doesn’t have the ability to score in many ways. For him, it’s essentially about making open 3s and free throws.
and he’s been missing a lot of open looks. Gotta nail those or lose minutes to Brycen

Girard doesn’t have the ability to score in many ways. He has trouble getting to the basket and doesn’t realty possess a pull-up jumper. For him, it’s essentially about making open 3s and free throws. I’m hopeful he’ll adjust as a scorer over his career. But right now teams are taking away his strength and he really doesn’t really have many options. Can’t fault, however, his competitiveness.
Wow! I’d suggest you go back and look at some tape. He’s actually been pretty darn good at getting into the lane and scoring. Especially for a freshman at his size.

Wow! I’d suggest you go back and look at some tape. He’s actually been pretty darn good at getting into the lane and scoring. Especially for a freshman at his size.

Inexperience and size plays a factor, but it’s simply not his forte. He lacks the body control to get inside of defenders and get to the basket. And there’s plenty of players his size who can do that. He needs to develop a better pull-up jumper and a floater, and I’m confident he will.

I disagree - in fact I'm more confident in him making a pull up 2 rather than a 3 at this point. His 3's seem to be rushed as does his floor game sometimes. I think the drive pull up floater/jumper has been his most consistent weapon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom