Girard Slump | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Girard Slump

Joe G is the best PG we have. Best handle. Good assist/TO ratio. Usually doesn't make bad TOs. Goodine showed no PG skills and his good moments have come playing off the point. Now is not the time to try to "teach" Goodine to play point. I'd like to see him get 6-8 minutes at SG at the top of the zone spelling Buddy when he goes out or moves down to the 3. Playing guys 40 minutes is just ugh.

Howard Washington is the best point guard. He can't play because he doesn't stretch the floor and still has some health limitations.

Wow! I’d suggest you go back and look at some tape. He’s actually been pretty darn good at getting into the lane and scoring. Especially for a freshman at his size.
A few times each game, he'll make a shot inside the arc that surprises me given his size and experience. That's my subjective proof that he's more than a 3-point shooter.

He's an elite shooter. Everyone goes through slumps, especially freshman pressed into action. He'll get it going again and hopefully it will be at the perfect time to make a run at/in the postseason.

At the end of the day, its blatant that the kid has stones and will take any shot at any time without hesitation. Having that kind of confidence makes it inevitable that this cold shooting streak will end at some point (hopefully tonight or Saturday).

A few times each game, he'll make a shot inside the arc that surprises me given his size and experience. That's my subjective proof that he's more than a 3-point shooter.

He's certainly going to be a capable enough scorer all-around down the road, but everyone seems to see way more of this stuff than I do. I don't see it at anything I would term a regular rate. He doesn't even have many made shots inside the arc all season. What's he average, 1 per game?

Pretty dynamic scorer, that's running cold at the moment. Not certain his prowess inside the arc makes up for a cold spell outside all that significantly. Hopefully tonight he gets hot again!

He's certainly going to be a capable enough scorer all-around down the road, but everyone seems to see way more of this stuff than I do. I don't see it at anything I would term a regular rate. He doesn't even have many made shots inside the arc all season. What's he average, 1 per game?

Pretty dynamic scorer, that's running cold at the moment. Not certain his prowess inside the arc makes up for a cold spell outside all that significantly. Hopefully tonight he gets hot again!
I said it was subjective. He actually averages 1.5 made twos per game, so maybe I see something once per game that stands out to me. At any rate, he's something more than a one dimensional 3-point shooter, has rebounded well for his size and has generally done a good job taking care of the ball.

Last edited:
Listen, I know we are not allowed to critique Joe because he is a freshman, but what is going on with his shot ? He is 10 for his last 41 from three good for 24% and is 17/59 total which means he is shooting only 28% on field goals in the last 5 or 6 games. He has gotten more steals and actually had 9 rebounds vs ND but what is his deal.

If you look at it, he is actually missing free throws more frequently as well...I love Joe and his swagger but he needs to get it back and contribute. In my opinion, we need him to play well to make the tourney. If he doesn't we are done...I just wonder what is going on with his shot. I know highschool is highschool but he just made kids look silly and his shot looked so pure. I saw him a few times live and his shot doesn't look right to me, less rotation, more flat. Is he rushing it, is it mental. This heart cannot take another Cooney mental case, calling Rene Russo from Tin Cup
There have been 14 guards that have started as Freshmen during the Boeheim era.

Many of them are enshrined in the Orange Hoops Pantheon:

Pearl
Autry
Moten
Hart
GMAC
Devo
Flynn
Triche
Ennis
Battle

JG3's stats of 12.8 ppg and 3.7 apg are better than Devo, better than Triche and not that far off from a number of players on the list above.

And he has done that while having to play the point without being a natural point guard. Remember Stevie trying to do the same thing? it was why Edwards started that year as a frosh.

A freshman starting and playing out of position and being asked to be a significant contributor? Tough ask.

Kid has had a season that has surpassed pretty much anyone's expectations. he is bound to hit a rough patch or two.

There have been 14 guards that have started as Freshmen during the Boeheim era.

Many of them are enshrined in the Orange Hoops Pantheon:

Pearl
Autry
Moten
Hart
GMAC
Devo
Flynn
Triche
Ennis
Battle

JG3's stats of 12.8 ppg and 3.7 apg are better than Devo, better than Triche and not that far off from a number of players on the list above.

And he has done that while having to play the point without being a natural point guard. Remember Stevie trying to do the same thing? it was why Edwards started that year as a frosh.

A freshman starting and playing out of position and being asked to be a significant contributor? Tough ask.

Kid has had a season that has surpassed pretty much anyone's expectations. he is bound to hit a rough patch or two.

Edwards could really attack the glass too...

at 2 or 3 in the morning.

I said it was subjective. He actually averages 1.5 made twos per game, so maybe I see something once per game that stands out to me. At any rate, he's something more than a one dimensional 3-point shooter, has rebounded well for his size and has generally done a good job taking care of the ball.

I know - I'm not disagreeing with the overall point. I just haven't seen it much - I think he's certainly capable, and will improve, I just haven't noticed him do much inside the arc yet. He's had a few games where he's had some nice pull-ups, and he can hit some shots with a high degree of difficulty. Just haven't witnessed much in the consistency department. He's a Frosh though, so that's probably the last thing to come along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom