Girard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Girard

Girard is as pure of a point guard as they come.

We started the game down 11-0 because he was overprotective with the ball. Then he decided he was going to stop worrying about turnovers and make things happen off the dribble. We went on something like a 20-4 run in less than 6 minutes.

He is THAT much of a point guard.

Girard, Buddy Goodine and Washington
5-29
Dolezaj Sidibe Guerrier Edwards
4-14
-------------------------------
9-43 = 20.9% (22% against UVA "not counting Hughes")

Last edited:
JG3 will be just fine.
My question is why no real attempt to even try a Howard Washington at PG? Am I the only one who thinks he’d play well, given adequate minutes? Basically he’s the only natural PG on the roster, and granted I’m not a HOF HC or anything, but would it hurt to actually see if he could run the team if given the chance?
i don’t know, call me naive but forcing square peg players into round hole positions, just seems counterproductive to me. Everyone seems out of position on this team, and it’s been that way now for a while.

He's not supposed to be starting. Most predicted he'd have only a limited role, as he 'got used to the level of competition.' It's not his fault, and ripping him is stupid. The best thing about all this is that he's going to be more prepared sooner than later.

I'm all in with JGIII. I think someday they'll hang his name on the rafters, and maybe even spell it correctly.

You've probably seen more than I have and I'm reacting too early to a bad game all around.

I just worry the foot speed is inadequate to get by the Tre Jones of the world.

99% of the PG's are going to struggle against Tre Jones. If that is your standard you will be disappointed with just about anyone we get to play PG. Girard is very skilled for a true Freshman. He has a nice handle and good instincts that will continue to improve as he develops. JG3 is going to be a GREAT college player by the time his four years are done at Syracuse. The transition from the high school game to the college game is difficult for every player, except for the very few elite players...and they all seem to go to Duke or Kentucky. Girard had offers from everyone, including Duke...the kid can ball! We are only 6 games into the season. Relax and have a beer.

We started the game down 11-0 because he was overprotective with the ball. Then he decided he was going to stop worrying about turnovers and make things happen off the dribble. We went on something like a 20-4 run in less than 6 minutes.

5-29
4-14

That's not quite what happened. he was completely over matched by Likekele. It was like me guarding my 5 year old daughter. Then OK st took Likekele off him and we went on a run. Then they put him back on him, and OK state went on a 29-10 run to end the half.

Joe Girard is going to be the point guard of this team for the next 4 years. Might as well get behind him and root like hell for him to keep developing. It totally makes sense that part of his learning curve is going to be learning how to play effectively against bigger, athletic, tough guards. Outside of the EYBL where he didn’t have ball in his hands, it’s a new challenge for him. He’s not just going to be fine, he’s going to be the reason our team wins a lot of games over the next 4 years. Get a grip everyone. We are lucky to have Joe.

Joe Girard is going to be the point guard of this team for the next 4 years. Might as well get behind him and root like hell for him to keep developing. It totally makes sense that part of his learning curve is going to be learning how to play effectively against bigger, athletic, tough guards. Outside of the EYBL where he didn’t have ball in his hands, it’s a new challenge for him. He’s not just going to be fine, he’s going to be the reason our team wins a lot of games over the next 4 years. Get a grip everyone. We are lucky to have Joe.

It would be hard to find many not pulling for Joe. But I wouldn’t expect many wins this year or next. Maybe by his junior year if the talent around him develops and we recruit better.

He
Is
Not
A
PG.

You don’t score a bazillion points in HS and come in as a true FR at the point.

We are rolling five guys out there that do not naturally correspond to each other.
Yes
He
Is.
And if by some miracle they ever can convince a front court player that weighs more than 185 lbs and some ability to score in the paint to play here, you’ll see the results in his assist numbers.

5-29
4-14

We shot bad because a bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic team was dogging us and overplaying everything and we couldn’t get good shots. They were able to play us this way defensively because they know we have no post scoring and nobody that can drive by them and make anything happen.

Accurate.

Girard bashing should be reassigned to HC bashing, as Girard is absolutely a player we should recruit.

Only problem is he should be playing Shooting Guard off the bench as a freshman, not starting Point Guard because we cant recruit or develop anyone.
KThz.gif

Yes
He
Is.
And if by some miracle they ever can convince a front court player that weighs more than 185 lbs and some ability to score in the paint to play here, you’ll see the results in his assist numbers.

He’s a 2G with a good enough handle.

A true PG could’ve broken token pressure solo.

Not hating on him. But we’ve put a scorer and moved him to an unnatural position.

Last edited:
He’s a 2G with a good enough handle.

A true PG could’ve broken token pressure solo.

Not hating on him. But we’ve put a scorer and moved him to an unnatural position.
I thought that might be the case when he came in but now I disagree. You’ve labeled him and in his short time I think he has shown that he can run a team. Not in the least unnatural or too big for him.

We shot bad because a bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic team was dogging us and overplaying everything and we couldn’t get good shots. They were able to play us this way defensively because they know we have no post scoring and nobody that can drive by them and make anything happen.
Good thing we won't face anymore squads like that...

Girard is not the problem.
The problem is the minimal impact of our 4 and 5 spots.
Zero inside presence, offensively and defensively.
Can't beat physical teams with this glaring weakness.

I personally don’t think you understand the genius of playing a SG at PG, a SG at SF and a PF at C.

That’s a lineup consisting of no Center & no Point Guard with two Shooting Guards, both playing out of position.

4D Chess.
Your descriptive "cuteness" is only exceeded by your dislike for most everything about this team.

I thought that might be the case when he came in but now I disagree. You’ve labeled him and in his short time I think he has shown that he can run a team. Not in the least unnatural or too big for him.

Will disagree mightily but respect the opposite side.

Since 2010-2011 there have only been 45 games with an SU player dishing out 9 assists (only 4 of them were in losses).

15 for MCW
8 for Frank
7 for Scoop/Gillon
4 for Ennis
1 each for Girard, Gbinije, Kaleb Joseph and Tyus.

MCW had the most with 16, which he did in 26 mins against Monmouth. Gillon had 9 assists on top of 43 in the NC St game.

CBB Reference

He’s clearly worthy and a bright spot on a team with growing pains.

He’s clearly worthy and a bright spot on a team with growing pains.

Right? He’s arguably been our second best player. Marek doesn’t score enough and Girard does more than Buddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom