Give me a 4 year Scoop over a 1 year MCW or Ennis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Give me a 4 year Scoop over a 1 year MCW or Ennis

Not because he's better,obviously,but to watch these guys grow and become part of us. I hate the rent a player age we're in. I never want to end up being Kentucky. I honestly think Tyler's legacy here will be more Donte Greene than anything else. But I guess you can't blame him.
give me a 4 year scoop because he could make a jump shot!

i get what you're saying. pictures of kelly and thomas doing puzzles in the hospital resonate with people because they played together for so long

Reactions: cto
I can't tell if the original poster is serious or joking...I understand the being a part of us, but our only ring came with a guy who we got INCREDIBLY lucky didn't go straight to the NBA. Without Melo, what is our program? Ennis had the opportunity to do something really special. MCW took us to a Final 4. Yeah Scoop was a good player, but we bashed his game constantly when here. CJ is a different story as he was a FAR superior player to Scoop AND took us to a final 4.

I am probably wrong, but Ennis to me is more Jonny Flynn and Donte Greene than MCW or Waiters.

I do not think he has an NBA body.

I do not think he shoots well.

And I doubt that he will be able to drive to the hoop at that level.

I think he made a mistake.

He will get three years guaranteed and make a bit of money and very possibly end up like Donte.

I am probably wrong, but Ennis to me is more Jonny Flynn and Donte Greene than MCW or Waiters.

And I doubt that he will be able to drive to the hoop at that level.

I think he made a mistake.

He will get three years guaranteed and make a bit of money and very possibly end up like Donte.
i've posted this a hundred times but he destroyed his hip

this story that he left too early and flamed out is incredibly unfair to him

And I doubt that he will be able to drive to the hoop at that level...
I agree with most of that...but would 3 (or any) more years in CBB make him more valuable to the NBA (and thus to his wallet)?

TE is selling at the "peak". Why wait?

Oh dear god this is rock bottom. Best day of my life was Scoop's graduation day.

Although in restrospect I may have to revise. At least he could hit an occasional jumper.

Not because he's better,obviously,but to watch these guys grow and become part of us. I hate the rent a player age we're in. I never want to end up being Kentucky. I honestly think Tyler's legacy here will be more Donte Greene than anything else. But I guess you can't blame him.

Kentuckys system seems to be working awful well right now.

That's OK. I'm a dinosaur. I like the Derrick Colemans and Sherman Douglas's. I like to know what I have coming back as opposed to putting hope on a kid coming out of high school which is how I see things trending. Not saying we wouldn't be good both ways but I think the stink of bad offense is largely due to more frequent personnel change.

I understand that post a lot more than your 1st.

Don't hate Ennis because the world has changed. And don't compare him to a guy who didnt achieve any success here. Ennis was electric and the team, in my mind, came within a rimmed out shot of the elite 8.

i've posted this a hundred times but he destroyed his hip

this story that he left too early and flamed out is incredibly unfair to him

That's probably true.

The injury was obviously an important part of the story.

Donte is probably the better example.

But I always believed that Jonny did not have an NBA body.

Waiters, though not truly skilled at the time, had the quintessential NBA body and was tremendously athletic.

He was ready to take it to the next level.

I don't believe that Ennis falls into that category.

I agree with most of that...but would 3 (or any) more years in CBB make him more valuable to the NBA (and thus to his wallet)?

TE is selling at the "peak". Why wait?

I think playing at least one more year and developing his body and shot would benefit him.

I would prefer the career that Jason Hart had than the career Donte had.

That's probably true.

The injury was obviously an important part of the story.

Donte is probably the better example.

But I always believed that Jonny did not have an NBA body.

Waiters, though not truly skilled at the time, had the quintessential NBA body and was tremendously athletic.

He was ready to take it to the next level.

I don't believe that Ennis falls into that category.
flynn was short. he wasn't going to get taller at SU. guy is the poster child for getting paid while you're healthy

ennis was here one year and went 1-2 in postseason including a complete stinker to end the year against a double digit seed. scoop was a part of this community for 5 years (with some growing pains) and was a member on two of the best SU teams I have ever seen. in the college game, I will take a 4 year player like scoop that bleeds the program over 1 year of ennis all day long, 7 days a week and twice on sunday. I don't know how anyone can look at ennis career here and think anything but "meh".
Did you watch the game? Our 4 year player was invisible the last 5 minutes of the game while Ennis was scoring our last 11 points. I understand your emotional response to freshman leaving, but your argument, in regards to team success, is flawed.

Scoop was part of two of our great teams, but he wasn't THE reason they were so great. Wes Johnson, another player we only had for one year, was the best player on a great team that had the ideal mix of experience and talent. You can't be a great program with one or the other. You have to have the kids talented enough to leave mixed with the 4 year guys that provide stability and leadership. '03 was the perfect mix. It's hard to get that consistently.

Funny how the exact opposite would be said if the WSU guy hit the 3. Literally the exact opposite.

Its a game of inches.

Probably, but an elite 8, final four, and national title In a five year span is damn impressive nonetheless.

Oh dear god this is rock bottom. Best day of my life was Scoop's graduation day.

Although in restrospect I may have to revise. At least he could hit an occasional jumper.

We were 34-3 with Scoop at the helm his senior year. I believe we were 61-10 overall with him as a starter.

I kind of think you're speaking in hyperbole, but I also kind of enjoy the idea that the happiest day in the life of some internet troll is the graduation day for a point guard who led the team to an Elite 8 and 61 wins in 71 tries.

I'm torn on it. I loved Melo's one season here and wouldn't trade his one and done for anything, obviously.

But guys like Ennis and Donte whose teams didn't ultimately achieve great heights and who appeared to have so much unrealized upside leave me with a negative feeling about their time at SU when they take off early. I would also throw Fab, Waiters and Flynn into this group.

On the other hand without those guys we likely don't have two Elite 8s, a Final Four and Sweet 16 appearance 4 of the last 6 years.

Completely agree, those are my feelings as well.

I wish the kid luck, and he had some great moments, but leaving after one year leaves a bad taste in my mouth as a fan.

I can't blame him for taking the money, but as a fan it does leave a little bit of a negative feeling for someone that was here only one year and with so much potential for us, didn't get past the round of 32 (his fault or not).

We were 34-3 with Scoop at the helm his senior year. I believe we were 61-10 overall with him as a starter.

I kind of think you're speaking in hyperbole, but I also kind of enjoy the idea that the happiest day in the life of some internet troll is the graduation day for a point guard who led the team to an Elite 8 and 61 wins in 71 tries.
We were 26-7 (12-4 Big East) with Michael Edwards at the helm as a freshman and 30-8 (10-6 Big East) with Sherman Douglas his senior year. Do you see the flaw in the argument of pointing to one player as if he was responsible for the whole team?

We were 26-7 (12-4 Big East) with Michael Edwards at the helm as a freshman and 30-8 (10-6 Big East) with Sherman Douglas his senior year. Do you see the flaw in the argument of pointing to one player as if he was responsible for the whole team?

I'm not saying Scoop was responsible for every win, but the idea that the happiest day of someone's life was the day that Scoop graduated is hilarious.

Umm, yes that was hyperbole. He was by far the most frustrating player I have watched at Cuse. I almost wish he never "went off" vs UNC in the Garden getting everyone's (including my) hopes up.

Also looking at what the team accomplished during his reign is pretty random. It does not isolate his contribution vs the contributions of everyone else we had during those years. What if he was being carried by others? What if we had recruited a different player in stead, who got his minutes, and led us to a championship? We will never know the answers to these questions. Typical broken window fallacy.

My point is, just stating "Oh so and so go to an elite 8, a final 4, etc" does not mean they were a great player. Saying so is almost as dumb as the people on this board who think questioning anything JB does is blasphemy because of his 900+ wins.

I'm not saying Scoop was responsible for every win, but the idea that the happiest day of someone's life was the day that Scoop graduated is hilarious.
That's fair. I missed the post you were responding to.

I can't tell if the original poster is serious or joking...I understand the being a part of us, but our only ring came with a guy who we got INCREDIBLY lucky didn't go straight to the NBA. Without Melo, what is our program? Ennis had the opportunity to do something really special. MCW took us to a Final 4. Yeah Scoop was a good player, but we bashed his game constantly when here. CJ is a different story as he was a FAR superior player to Scoop AND took us to a final 4.

The only people who bashed Scoop's game didn't know anything about basketball.

And while it's difficult to compare a forward to a guard, I think a better case could be made for Scoop as the superior player to C.J.

Scoop bashers swallowed there tongues when Scoop single handedly brought us back in the pitt game at the Pete after going down like what... 18-0?

I'll take MCW's second year over ANY recent player's tenure here, and this isn't even debatable. He was frustrating to watch at times but this kid took us to the Final 4 ffs, we only get there once a decade remember?

Btw both him and Dion stayed 2 years. They sat through their apprenticeship freshman year and blossomed later. Yes there were some growing pains but the end results were quite awesome. We obviously can't say the same about Ennis so why group these 3 together?