Give me the reasons why you think Dino should stay | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Give me the reasons why you think Dino should stay

Exactly. And the W-L record in the ACC speaks for itself. He’s the luckiest coach in D1. Any other coach with that record would be gone.Instead, there is potential for an extension. Good lord
18 - 30 going into this year. I'll count 2023 when it's over, not just after playing the three toughest teams on our conference schedule. Not where we need to be, but when you consider his first two years were 4 - 12 it's a little less dire.

Anybody see what “Big Game Boomer” posted?

“Dino Babers had a good run and Syracuse and he’s a super nice guy but this thing has run its course. It’s the same story every year. Change is needed.”
Big Game Boomer is usually pretty positive with Syracuse. When we've lost Big Game Boomer, we've lost America. Explanation: Nixon's aides and staff told him that about the influential CBS Evening News anchor Walter Cronkite. "When we've lost Cronkite, we've lost America."

Last edited:
It isn't the fans jobs to find his replacement. People get paid a lot of money to do just that. Now, if the University wants to pay me to find his replacement, I will come up with some names. Time will tell whether they can do the job or not. But I will promise one thing. The person I hire won't try a fg down 21 pts late in the 3rd quarter. Or punt like in last weeks game. By the way, Dino still has 5 winnable games before we reach that point.
At this point I do not care if he wins all five(he will not), his decision making for his entire tenure has cost us games, his teams are undisciplined, but worst of all he fails to assemble teams that show any improvement against ACC opponents.
I want a change, and Wildhack better have a list ready to go.

It's time...In his presser when asked how to get to the player level of Clemson, NC, FSU he said it takes time to develop ...8 years is a long time ..also what bothered me is his laughter, flip attitude and joking at a press conference after a game you just lost 40-3..if you didn't know the score you would have thought we won...it was like we can't beat teams like that so we're just having some fun...the only positive is there are some good young players who I would hate to lose ...the new game like it or not is about buying players ..."hey son, do you want a nice locker room or 200k a year" ??? stop worrying about facilities and put that money into the transfer portal.
I do not like it, but under the current NCAA enforcement of rules I believe that is your only chance to succeed.

and for anyone else watching the vile at Schpitt game, I'm not chalking Schpitt up as a win on the crappy Yankee Stadium turf (it's pouring in the Bu

I have been off the Dino bandwagon for a few years now. That being said, there is no way they do anything without the rest of the season playing out. If we lost a few of the last five, they could pull the trigger before the end of the season but right now I don’t see it.

Mathematically speaking, we could still go 9-3 plus a bowl win. Unlikely? Of course it is. Still this season has to play out. If we go 6-6 or even 7-5, then JW will have a decision to make. At that point, I think it will all come down to what the bigger boosters want to do.

Over on the basketball board there’s discussion about the new A.D. at Washington and how it affects Mike Hopkins. Let’s keep in mind JW didn’t hire Dino and he doesn’t need his wagon hitched to a coach that is losing the fan base and the boosters. That may make all the difference if it comes down to that.

At any rate. As much as I lack faith in Dino, long-term, I think you have to wait until the end of the season to see how things ultimately play out. Unless, of course, it all falls apart before then. His ACC record during his tenure is a huge sword over his head and only JW knows how little it will take to sever the thread.
My opinion we will lose to both Pitt and Wake, because both their coaches are better than Dino, and none of the other three are a sure thing, we go 2-1 out of that three. So we end up 6-5. Just not good enough.

Amazing the people in this thread who were high on the program pre-season and are now ready to burn it down. None of those people expected a win through this three game gauntlet that is the most challenging 15 day stretch of conference games that any ACC team will face this year. And we went through it without three of our top four receivers . Yes, it’s been ugly but last I checked there are no style points in football.
We finally made much needed investments in support staff, quality of assistant coaches and facilities. We will likely appear in bowl games in consecutive years for only the second time in the last 24 years. We have a solid recruiting class lined up with a couple of major targets still being pursued. And don’t kid yourself. They see this level of negativity and are influenced by it. We have a new NIL collective headlined by some of the top names in the industry. There is a lot to like about the state of the program right now. We have a young roster with just a handful of major contributors exhausting their eligibility this year. Changing head coaches will not be switching on the lightbulb. It will be a tear down and multiple year rebuild. We will lose much of the current recruiting class. This team loves Dino as a leader and with the transfer portal, the long rumored mass exodus will be realized should he be dismissed. We would be looking at 3-4 years to get back to this level IF we make the right hire and retain him. Ask Virginia how they feel about essentially running off Bronco. And for those here old enough to remember the Greg Robinson and Frank Maloney eras you don’t even have to look that far. Oh, and financially we don’t have much latitude to eat a rumored final year plus buyout.
I said preseason that this would be a pivotal year for Dino. Win 7 or more and he stays. Win 5 or less and it’s time for a change. I’m not the type to alter a considered position based on a knee jerk, emotional response. Let the season play out and if you want to give up on this team, you are giving up on these players mid season. They deserve better.
I am not giving up on the team, I will root for them in every game, always have, always will. However I have seen enough of Dino coaching to know he is not helping, and many times is costing the team results. No way I want him back as coach, but I have zero control over that.

When we were at the unc tailgate, i felt JR hit the nail on the head with this thing. I wish Dino could be the face of the program but not the guy who coaches the program. We may never get back to our roots of success, so if that is the case we need to learn to be smarter in our recruiting, and how we get players that fit the system and scheme. Wake has witnessed that success, Duke has witnessed that success. Until the facilities and money get better, analytically speaking we have to be smarter, and find a Coach that can play into the system. Gotta stop living in the past, and push the present. Babers isn't who he was when he got the job, he has lost the sight of what made him attractive. It is just time.

I honestly can't think of any reasons for him to stay, other than personally, I am not looking forward to another couple of years of potentially basement dwelling in the ACC. Maybe the ACC isn't a good/great fit for Cuse???

Given the portal, NIL deals, recruiting, etc... if you're a solid high school athlete, EVEN out of NYS, and you have the likes of Duke, Clemson, NC, NC State, FSU, Miami, giving you offers, why go to SU? What's the attraction? Besides Dome upgrades? Sure, its a great place to play college football, but so are the colleges I listed previously.

So does Dino stay... unfortunately I think yes.
When he came, I was on that Dino train, hardcore like the fan was. But the time I am afraid has come to a head here for Dino.

I think we win out, with MAYBE 1 loss in the next 5, and then there's the obvious reason of SU cannot afford to pay out his contract. But IF he wins out, he'll look like a hero to most of the upper folks at SU, and they won't deep dive into detailed on-field decisions/actions, but will see only WINS (potentially)

This tenure is like a ping pong/tennis match...

Happy Thursday, folks... time to drink! LOL

Let’s hear the reasons why we think Dino should stay with the program.

Let’s weigh the positives and the negatives.
Because faith. Belief without evidence...lol

I do not like it, but under the current NCAA enforcement of rules I believe that is your only chance to succeed.

True. And we don’t have the donor pool to run with the big dogs. So we won’t recruit at a high level. And the next guy will have the same level of success as Dino (if we’re lucky and don’t hire another GRob). And at best the guys complaining in this thread will be looking to fire that guy in 3-4 years.

This is basically just a call to have another face on the sideline during 6-6, 7-5 seasons (and I realize that’s not what Dino has averaged, but we made a bowl last year, it will take a phenomenal collapse to NOT make a bowl this year in spite of what emotional types here think…we’re a 6-6, 7-5 program based on recent performance).

Amazing the people in this thread who were high on the program pre-season and are now ready to burn it down. None of those people expected a win through this three game gauntlet that is the most challenging 15 day stretch of conference games that any ACC team will face this year. And we went through it without three of our top four receivers . Yes, it’s been ugly but last I checked there are no style points in football.
We finally made much needed investments in support staff, quality of assistant coaches and facilities. We will likely appear in bowl games in consecutive years for only the second time in the last 24 years. We have a solid recruiting class lined up with a couple of major targets still being pursued. And don’t kid yourself. They see this level of negativity and are influenced by it. We have a new NIL collective headlined by some of the top names in the industry. There is a lot to like about the state of the program right now. We have a young roster with just a handful of major contributors exhausting their eligibility this year. Changing head coaches will not be switching on the lightbulb. It will be a tear down and multiple year rebuild. We will lose much of the current recruiting class. This team loves Dino as a leader and with the transfer portal, the long rumored mass exodus will be realized should he be dismissed. We would be looking at 3-4 years to get back to this level IF we make the right hire and retain him. Ask Virginia how they feel about essentially running off Bronco. And for those here old enough to remember the Greg Robinson and Frank Maloney eras you don’t even have to look that far. Oh, and financially we don’t have much latitude to eat a rumored final year plus buyout.
I said preseason that this would be a pivotal year for Dino. Win 7 or more and he stays. Win 5 or less and it’s time for a change. I’m not the type to alter a considered position based on a knee jerk, emotional response. Let the season play out and if you want to give up on this team, you are giving up on these players mid season. They deserve better.
There are many nice, progressive things happening with the program and for fear of losing some recruits or players off the roster we're going to keep in charge a person that consistently can't prepare his players properly for games, can't manage a clock to save his life and consistently makes non-sensical head scratching decisions in game. How is keeping a person like that in charge a service to the players? Because they like him and he's a nice guy? Not to mention, how many of his own starters did he lose to the portal last year by still being the coach?

It's literally impossible to have a knee jerk reaction after 7 years. Firing him after the 5-7 2019 year would have been knee jerk. Or after the 1-10 COVID year. Or the 5-7 year that followed that. Or after finishing 7-6 after starting 6-0 last year. And now sitting 4-3 after being down to Army at halftime, losing an ugly game to a much more limited Clemson, and getting completely demolished two weeks in a row? I mean the guy has had so many opportunities for someone to knee jerk fire him that it's pretty telling that he shouldn't be the head coach anymore.

It seems to be the best reason to keeping him is he’s a “good guy”

Unfortunately that doesn’t win us football games..

He has the final stretch to prove to the AD and the fan base why he should be kept….

Has to win at least 3 of the final 5 for me.
I think there is a valid point made in this thread that we may end up with someone on Dino's level or worse as a gameday coach because the University isn't willing to spend on a HC and staff at the level that even some of our peers our (Pitt/L'ville etc).

On merit he should be long gone but the school is comparatively cheap so I get the apprehension that we end up with someone the same or worse.

If you look back at the Win of the Year each season:

2023 (so far)
35-20 at Purdue (currently 2-5) on a Saturday night

32-29 last minute W vs Purdue (B1G W champ)

41-36 last minute W at VA Tech (who finished 6-7)

37-20 vs GA Tech (ended up 3-7)

39-30 OT W vs Wake (ended up 8-5)

51-41 vs #22 NC State (ended 9-4)

27-24 vs #2 Clemson (ended 12-2 ACC Champ, lost in CFP Semis)

31-17 vs #17 VA Tech (ended 10-4 ranked 16th, lost ACC CG)

What does that mean? I dunno. Interesting though that his WoY was VA Tech 2x (could it be 3?) and Purdue 2x (currently).

It is sad that our last regular season ranked W vs a team with their starting QB was October 27th 2018. Also that was the last time we beat a team that ended with less than 5 Ls on the year (a 9-4 team). No chance of ending that until sometime next season.

Dino years 1 through 3 vs teams that ended up with 9 or more Ws: 3-9 22.25 ppg to 37.17 ppg. The games weren't that close but when you win a few, it ain't so bad.

Dino years 4 through 7 (not including 2020 as some teams would have gotten to 9 Ws with a normal OOC schedule, or Minny due to opt outs): 0-9 15.78 ppg to 32.78 ppg. We played 3 less games or one less per year on avg. Only 2 ppg worse but no Ws (0%) vs 3 Ws (25% of games played).

Realistically none of the teams we have beaten this year will get to 9 Ws. Neither will any of the 5 teams left. FSU and UNC should both get 9 Ws no problem. Both would need to finish 2-5 to fail. Clemson would need to go 5-2 or better. Given their schedule, that is a hard task. So at best 0-3 8.00 ppg to 37.33 ppg and at worst 0-2 5.00 ppg to 40.50 ppg.

Dino went from 3-9 in 2015-2018 to 0-11 (maybe 0-12) from 2019-2023. If you include 2020 and Minny then it becomes 0-15 (0-16 if Clemson gets there this year). BTW both UNC and NC State went 8-4 (no FCS game for NC State) in 2020 and we went 0-2 in those games. Which means we are 0 for our last 17 vs teams that ended with 4 or less losses on the year (with Clemson TBD, could be 0-18).

Three biggest games of the season

hey let's look at dino babers and penn st's james franklin

"Nobody punches down quite as well as James Franklin.

Pair Franklin against a team that he should beat, and the results are pretty good. Franklin is now 81-21 (.794) facing opponents that aren’t ranked in the top 10 in 10 seasons at Penn State.

But any time Franklin moves up a weight class, he quickly shows himself to be overmatched. Time and time again.

It happened yet again on Saturday as Franklin’s 7th-ranked Nittany Lions lost to Ohio State for the 7th-straight season. Franklin is 3-16 (.158) against top-10 opponents, including 0-10 on the road. Extended to top-25 foes, Franklin is 13-23 (.361), including 2-13 on the road.

That scenario is Penn State’s existential crisis in a nutshell." (alex hickey)

• Franklin's conservative decision-making and questionable play calls have hindered Penn State's chances of winning big games.
  • Over his 120 games, he has faced a team ranked in the top 25 of the US LBM Coaches Poll 35 times. The Nittany Lions are just 12-24 in those match
Difference being franklin has his team ranked and relevant. but the fan base is still turning up the heat.
Dino Babers needs to have the same burners turned up on his buns. we punch below our weight.
finish poorly and the conservative play calling boggles most minds. yes there are better coaches out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom