Go against everything you have ever been taught.. Ughh Hoyas! | Syracusefan.com

Go against everything you have ever been taught.. Ughh Hoyas!

As much as it pains me cause I hate Gtown but we could use a big road win by them tonite over Xavier .. The NET pisses me off but it is a tool and GTown becoming decent road win would help us a lot
I don't know if there is a word for what you are asking but there should be. I suggest Pro-enmity. Pro being positive toward something and enmity being actively rooting against something.

Our chances of making the dance would have to be much higher than they are to even consider such a thing.

And once considered, it would be immediately rejected.

Its already sacrilegious to have to root for Pitt going forward, now im being asked to cheer on Gtown. This can't be what life has come to. I might go lay down in the road for a little while to contemplate how my life has gotten to this point.

I could care less about Gtown anymore. Times change, things move on.

Trying to explain to my nine year old that Syracuse - Georgetown have a rivalry convinced me saying they HAD a rivalry is more accurate. Convincing her that a school we don’t play all that often and that isn’t very good is a rival proved to be impossible.

Rivalries aside…. until Gtown actually becomes a decent basketball team, there really isn’t a point in playing them. They don’t really improve our metrics with a win and it would be a bad loss (both morally and for our metrics)

Trying to explain to my nine year old that Syracuse - Georgetown have a rivalry convinced me saying they HAD a rivalry is more accurate. Convincing her that a school we don’t play all that often and that isn’t very good is a rival proved to be impossible.

Dammit, I was there for "Manley Field House is officially closed"! That can, and will, never be forgotten.
If some of you guys wanna excuse it, go right ahead. I for one can't let it go.
F' GTown and everything they stand for! I wanna see them buried, drowned, blown up in their own piss, spit, and vomit. And if they were on fire...I wouldn't bother to piss on them to help them out!

Dammit, I was there for "Manley Field House is officially closed"! That can, and will, never be forgotten.
If some of you guys wanna excuse it, go right ahead. I for one can't let it go.
F' GTown and everything they stand for! I wanna see them buried, drowned, blown up in their own piss, spit, and vomit. And if they were on fire...I wouldn't bother to piss on them to help them out!

You summed up the reason why it’s not a rivalry anymore (or at least it’s steadily dying out) nicely, although you don’t appear to realize it.

I wasn’t at Manley, but remember all the huge games in the 80s/90s. I was at the 2013 Big East tournament game, which was the most intense environment I’ve ever been in at a basketball game. But - a nine year old was born in 2014. What touchstone events would a nine year old have to even indicate this is a rivalry? We were at the 2018 Tyus Battle game, she has a framed picture of the front page of the sports section from the following day in her room that I got her - it’s still incomprehensible to her why Syracuse - Georgetown are “big games”. I don’t think anyone under the age of 14 can possibly feel the way older fans do - there’s just no meat on the bone for them to sink their teeth into.

Syracuse - Colgate used to be a big rivalry. I know of it as a historical fact, but have no emotional connection to it. That’s exactly where Syracuse - Georgetown will be in roughly 20 years.

Yes…being in different conferences now makes it all but impossible to get newer fans to understand what it was like.
And what it still should be like once a year.
It is our duty to keep an essential part of college basketball history going.

Everybody now:

“Keep hate alive…Keep hate alive….Keep hate alive….”

Rivalries aside…. until Gtown actually becomes a decent basketball team, there really isn’t a point in playing them. They don’t really improve our metrics with a win and it would be a bad loss (both morally and for our metrics)

They will, Cooley is the real deal. And any chance for the school to get 10K Cuse fans together in major city they'll do it.

You summed up the reason why it’s not a rivalry anymore (or at least it’s steadily dying out) nicely, although you don’t appear to realize it.

I wasn’t at Manley, but remember all the huge games in the 80s/90s. I was at the 2013 Big East tournament game, which was the most intense environment I’ve ever been in at a basketball game. But - a nine year old was born in 2014. What touchstone events would a nine year old have to even indicate this is a rivalry? We were at the 2018 Tyus Battle game, she has a framed picture of the front page of the sports section from the following day in her room that I got her - it’s still incomprehensible to her why Syracuse - Georgetown are “big games”. I don’t think anyone under the age of 14 can possibly feel the way older fans do - there’s just no meat on the bone for them to sink their teeth into.

Syracuse - Colgate used to be a big rivalry. I know of it as a historical fact, but have no emotional connection to it. That’s exactly where Syracuse - Georgetown will be in roughly 20 years.

To each his own.
Numerous rivalries have faded and been reborn. Some schools don't play each other for decades, and when they reschedule and reestablish the rivalry, it picks up right where it left off.
Anyone who was at the last game a few weeks ago noticed that the excitement & hate was still there. Besides many factors influence rivalries, they're not based only on won/loss records.
If/when the Cuse and Hoyas get back to being top-25 programs, I'd wager the rivalry will be alive & well.
That's the point. That's why we keep playing the game. Not only because of "metrics", but because it actually means something more.
Not for nothing, but i kinda feel sorry for many fans who think "stats" and numbers are what matter most in sports. Of course that's the end game, but I respectfully disagree w/ the premise that a traditional rivalry means less, just because of metrics.
Thats why this rivalry can, and I'd bet WILL be revived, even if we only see each once a year. And that's how it should be. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom