Go Figure: Not another uniform thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Go Figure: Not another uniform thread

We've had two nationally televised upsets in the last 4 years (the only years recruits for the next few seasons will remember). When they think of Syracuse Football, our current iterations will be the brand THEY know, so changing it now would have the exact same effect as it does on you old timers complaining about the uniforms.

Not sure if you saw all the pics from the officials this weekend but it looked like the recruits were really enjoying the photoshoot in their "ugly" uniforms.

The world doesn't revolve around you.
the whole Bnoro speaks for the youth of the world and anyone who doesn't like the current uniforms is 'old' angle is getting, well, old.

how exactly are the kids supposed to look in their photo shoot? pissed off? disappointed? oh - they look happy, so clearly the uniforms aren't uglier than most other teams - most ridiculous argument for the current uniforms yet

Half of the tweets I see CL post from kids that just got their offers still show photos in the Marrone era uniforms - so I think these recruits can figure out different iterations of the SU uniform, and based on the picture they choose to announce their offer may even prefer the previous 'old timer' look. Maybe they're just really old recruits though.

Half of the tweets I see CL post from kids that just got their offers still show photos in the Marrone era uniforms - so I think these recruits can figure out different iterations of the SU uniform, and based on the picture they choose to announce their offer may even prefer the previous 'old timer' look. Maybe they're just really old recruits though.
Or they google "Syracuse Football" and post the first 3 pictures they see.

We've had two nationally televised upsets in the last 4 years (the only years recruits for the next few seasons will remember). When they think of Syracuse Football, our current iterations will be the brand THEY know, so changing it now would have the exact same effect as it does on you old timers complaining about the uniforms.

Not sure if you saw all the pics from the officials this weekend but it looked like the recruits were really enjoying the photoshoot in their "ugly" uniforms.

Gee SU didn't mention that when they sent me my application for season tickets and preferred seating.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever seen a fan wearing one of the duct tape uniforms. The SU uniforms I see being worn by the fans are almost all old school. I have seen a handful of fans wearing the traditional dark blue jerseys with the unreadable numbers. Never ones in white, duct tape grey or, of course, orange.

I would guess the sales of our football jerseys are unbelievably bad. People are voting with their wallets. Good for them.
I offered to buy one for my son for Christmas. He refused. Said they sucked. He’s 27

I don't think I have ever seen a fan wearing one of the duct tape uniforms. The SU uniforms I see being worn by the fans are almost all old school. I have seen a handful of fans wearing the traditional dark blue jerseys with the unreadable numbers. Never ones in white, duct tape grey or, of course, orange.

I would guess the sales of our football jerseys are unbelievably bad. People are voting with their wallets. Good for them.

Maybe.

But personally I feel like buying football jerseys just isn’t a thing anymore. The only groups I see buying jerseys are hockey and soccer fans.

Maybe.

But personally I feel like buying football jerseys just isn’t a thing anymore. The only groups I see buying jerseys are hockey and soccer fans.
Given you are a Syracuse fan, that makes perfect sense. Couldn't find any articles on college football jersey sale trends but in the NFL, your feeling is is not in place with reality...

How sports jerseys became ubiquitous in the U.S.

Bnoro pointed out what the kids liked this weekend. How they see the brand.

White was the overall winner(from available pics)
5 white jerseys
4 white helmets
4 white pants

3 orange helmets
3 orange pants
2 orange jerseys

1 blue jersey
1 blue pants
1 blue helmet

To the original point of the thread... Effective branding would have nearly every kid wanting to wear the same uni.

The only look that was duplicated was the stormtrooper... (Mehh) No firm uniform identity.

Last edited:
For the 3 commits this weekend, here's what they identify, with cuse uni's:

Another Storm Trooper
White Helmet, White Jersey, Blue Pants
1 All Orange

1 Non commit, all blue

Again, White is the most identified/liked. Keep the white ones. When your name is Orange... You need to improve the Orange Uni's...

In a perfect world, we'd keep our classic look for ~9 games. We'd be storm troopers for @BC or @FSU. We'd wear an alternate for one home game and one away game.

That structure gives us the classic look for 75% of the games, heightens the importance of our BC game (they're a true rival) and our FSU game (the most important game for recruiting), and it would let us sell crazy jerseys to players and kids. We could even copy Oregon, and let the players design the alternate jerseys every year.

Playing virtually every game in clown suits is dumb.

In a perfect world, we'd keep our classic look for ~9 games. We'd be storm troopers for @BC or @FSU. We'd wear an alternate for one home game and one away game.

That structure gives us the classic look for 75% of the games, heightens the importance of our BC game (they're a true rival) and our FSU game (the most important game for recruiting), and it would let us sell crazy jerseys to players and kids. We could even copy Oregon, and let the players design the alternate jerseys every year.

Playing virtually every game in clown suits is dumb.

Have you seen Oregon's jerseys for the last like... 8 years? Oregon could wear a different uniform every game until the year 3344

This is probable - but I wonder if that's more because the majority of people who bought jerseys bought them when we were good?

Yep. As has been discussed, this argument breaks on *who* uni's are for exactly. For fans and their sense of nostalgia or for the players who just want the best looking gear. (My official position is that there is a happy medium somewhere and that Wildhack gets that, so nobody jump on me)

D7348B50-586F-477F-A616-33B2044724EB.jpeg
What is sad is that EA Sports in NCAA Football 12 created the orange jerseys we should be wearing but never do.
I fired the game up last week to just to show them.

I care less about what they wear than the number of times they change it up. IMHO there currently is no Syracuse uniform. Doesn't matter if you're 17 or 117, that's not good.

Our current orange jerseys are perfectly fine.
Mehh.. I prefer that ea sports one, but I believe this is a discussion, relative to branding...

Friend that doesn't watch cuse, asked what the heck is up with those uni's?, When he watched the Clemson game.

Kids overwhelming chose white for their recruit photos.

For me, I'd just prefer more folks liked the orange, but I think that's pretty split. In regards to branding, I'd like the orange ones to be the most identified/liked.

I like our current unis, but I think we need to take a page out of Pitt's book, wear throwbacks a few times a year, esp the late 90's ones.

I'm not sure that I follow your point. They're the epitome of a school letting their players go wild w/ jerseys.

You said in a perfect world we'd go traditional look for 9 games.

Oregon runs out a different look every week lol I think what i take from your point is "copy oregon" in letting the team decide on ONE alternate a year and not ACTUALLY be oregon with 5934785913489581 jersey combos lol

If we can just get rid of that damn busch league generic MSU, Stanford, NCSU etc. “S” on the helmet and accentuate the numbers properly I’d be ok with mixing the jersey and pant combo each week, but keep the new orange helmets every game (sans “S”) as they have a nice luster to them and look great under the sun and night light.

Otherwise give me Nassib era uniforms sans “S” every game.

One can dream.

I love the "Winter is coming" look. I would think the locals would enjoy that as a road alternate in late November.