"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..." | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..."

Libero, what "storm" is does he have to weather?

Is it the unhappiness of a few malcontents who want to fire any coach after two losses to two of the top teams in the Conference? Is that the "storm" you are talking about?

JB leaves on his own schedule and pretty much when he damn well feels like it. The University just cashed the check from game with 35,000 paying customers. We have been in the Top 20 pretty much the whole year. Does anyone with an actual brain think that JBs job is in danger?

We were in the top 10 for almost 2 years straight. His job is not in danger.

Not sure why people are surprised. He has been this way for 37 years. I have no issue with it. It is who he is. The thing I love about him is he NEVER throws his players or coaches under the bus and would defend them 100% which is what I would want if I were a player and or a parent of a player.

You can say he got outcoached. Players play and I had more issues with the way our players played last night than the way JB coached. Coaches cant give players toughness. Coaches cant give players the will and desire to box out and grab a rebound.

Marsho1 - Relax. JB is going no where until he feels like it.

Logic will have little impact on the "experts" who call for a HOF coach's head after two losses to the co-leaders of the Conference.

This team isn't that good. It's flawed. I suffered last year from "Scoop fatigue". I'd love to have him bacek.

Logic will have little impact on the "experts" who call for a HOF coach's head after two losses to the co-leaders of the Conference.

This team isn't that good. It's flawed. I suffered last year from "Scoop fatigue". I'd love to have him bacek.

I would kill to have him as well.

We were in the top 10 for almost 2 years straight. His job is not in danger.

Of course not. Nor should it be. Nor will it ever be absent some calamity.

JB is effectively "Coach for Life". He quits when he damn well feels like it.

Libero, what "storm" is does he have to weather?

Is it the unhappiness of a few malcontents who want to fire any coach after two losses to two of the top teams in the Conference? Is that the "storm" you are talking about?

JB leaves on his own schedule and pretty much when he damn well feels like it. The University just cashed the check from game with 35,000 paying customers. We have been in the Top 20 pretty much the whole year. Does anyone with an actual brain think that JBs job is in danger?
No his job isn't in danger, but I think it's fair to say he is disappointed in the teams play of late. We all know this team could be better, but isn't. At this point there isn't much to do but push through the year and accept that we likely won't reach our potential. The storm I was talking about was the disappointment he has to be feeling.

Stop being the headline Jimmy. People ask questions. And the press asks questions, it's what they do, sometimes they will even try to bait you.

Why did you, or why didn't you ... ? Most coaches , , well we saw this or that and we .. .. .. .
JB - Who do you think you are to ask me that!?!?!

Now I'm as big an SU fan as anyone, and I like JB as a coach, but cut the crap at the pressers. There are better ways to not answer a question than to become a combative f$3khole.

Townie I assume this is in reference to last nights thread. I dont think anyone was calling for his head, just questioning some of his substitutions, and our offensuve gameplan. The idea that people cannot question his moves without being labeled as malcontents is ridiculous. I think he has missed some opportunities to adjust our gameplan against the zone.

I am wondering if he has already made the decision that he is stopping after this year, and it is affecting him emotionally. He indicated previously that he would want to stay for the first year of the ACC, but now I am wondering. . . .
I have been wondering the same thing lately as well, especially since his appearance on PTI last week. The way he characterized the rivalry with Georgetown as "It's been everything" and his saying that he can't imagine what it's going to be like to move to the ACC and start from scratch with new rivals made me wonder if he wasn't at least thinking about walking away.

I feel the same way about Boeheim. He's earned the right to coach abother 10 years if he wants. But it just feels like his run is over. It feels like its Hopkins turn.

If the run being over means we spend most of the season in the Top 10, yeah, I'll take 10 more years of stringing out that run,

I'd be shocked if he doesn't coach at least 1 more year, but I'd also be surprised if he's here for 2016-2017 season.

Not sure why people are surprised. He has been this way for 37 years. I have no issue with it. It is who he is. The thing I love about him is he NEVER throws his players or coaches under the bus and would defend them 100% which is what I would want if I were a player and or a parent of a player.

I dunno, I guess if saying "I shouldn't have offered him a scholarship" is your criteria for throwing under the bus, then no he doesn't do that (idk what coach does). But he doesn't always say "our Guards played well" after they play terrible.
Just this year in pressers he's ripped Christmas for "standing around" on defense, Triche for having zero confidence at the FT line, Grant for making "the worst possible play" by attacking the basket at the end of a tie game, their bigs for "not being ready for anything in these games" after the Pitt game, etc etc.
Basically he just loves being a contrarian after wins/losses and that's fine - I want my coach to be more 'process' than 'outcome' oriented. But I wish he'd stop being such a baby and denying saying stuff that he says.

No his job isn't in danger, but I think it's fair to say he is disappointed in the teams play of late. We all know this team could be better, but isn't. At this point there isn't much to do but push through the year and accept that we likely won't reach our potential. The storm I was talking about was the disappointment he has to be feeling.

I disagree.

This isn't a particularly good Syracuse team and I don't think they can be any better. It's a flawed edition.

And the problem is the half court offense. Absent any front court offensive threat, we are reduced to either MCW driving the lane or JS, BT or MCW jacking up 3's. When those 3's aren't falling, we stink. And MCW isn't driving the lane against the zones we have seen recently. Or when the M2M defense decides that they'll take the lane away and let him bomb away.

So, its not JB. This team HAS reached its potential. What you saw out there vs. GU and MU was this team playing to itw potential.

Reactions: cto
Of course not. Nor should it be. Nor will it ever be absent some calamity.

JB is effectively "Coach for Life". He quits when he damn well feels like it.

How'd that work out for penn state?

I disagree.

This isn't a particularly good Syracuse team and I don't think they can be any better. It's a flawed edition.

And the problem is the half court offense. Absent any front court offensive threat, we are reduced to either MCW driving the lane or JS, BT or MCW jacking up 3's. When those 3's aren't falling, we stink. And MCW isn't driving the lane against the zones we have seen recently. Or when the M2M defense decides that they'll take the lane away and let him bomb away.

So, its not JB. This team HAS reached its potential. What you saw out there vs. GU and MU was this team playing to itw potential.

There is some truth to this for sure but even JB blamed the D for yesterday. It really did come down to defensive rebounding. They would get it while we stood around and we fouled. Our offense is bad but we scored enough to win yesterday. Some costly late game guard turnovers as well...again.

I disagree.

I disagree with that. This team has started to lose confidence and is making silly mistakes. Several of the 3's we take each game (lately) are poor shot selection with closing defenders and early in the shot clock, some of which are absolute bombs. We also have seen a serious increase in What are you doing? Turnovers. It seems amazing to me, but right when we have a chance to put a team away, we come up with 3 straight dagger TOs that the opposition gets easy buckets off of. TOs are something that will happen, but prevent them from leading to free layups/and-1 opportunities is all I'm asking.

If we eliminate those stupid mistakes and stretches of about 4 minutes a game where we forget how to rebound, we are easily a better squad. Meaning we aren't playing to our potential yet. If we do that, we could still make a run in march. But right now I don't think we will as we simply aren't playing smart basketball.

I still believe if we play smart, we are one of the teams capable of getting a break or two that leads us to a deep tourney run.

JB will be here as long as he wants to, he has earned that right and will go down as the best SU head coach of all time. But please can we stop with the Penn State Uber loyalty no matter what syndrome. JB is a big boy he can take some criticisim from this board, he makes mistakes just like everyone else. NO one is calling for his head and everyone who is an SU basketball fan wants him on the sidelines next year and the year after and the year after. The guy is a legend but he also has some flaws, its clear SU has underachieved at times in his career and this team despite a boat load of talent appears likely to make an early tourney exit.

How'd that work out for penn state?
That's a terrible example.

Pick one where a coach falls off a cliff as they eventually got to old to stay competitive ala Bobby Bowden. Joe Pa's situation is about as unique as it gets in the sports world...

There is some truth to this for sure but even JB blamed the D for yesterday. It really did come down to defensive rebounding. They would get it while we stood around and we fouled. Our offense is bad but we scored enough to win yesterday. Some costly late game guard turnovers as well...again.
Good post. But we could have overcome that with a bette offensive effort.

But yet another flaw of this year's edition. Any muscle at all underneath for the opponent and Keita and Christmas and Grant and Southerland are pushed around and out from underneath rebounds like they were high schoolers.

Do you think Arinze gets pushed out of there that easily?

Of course his job isn't jeopardy. But I think he risks tarnishing his legacy (somewhat) if he stayed another 3-5 years and can't deliver another final four.

Much like other "fatherly figure" coaches, JB's reputation has made a steady improvement over the years. Depending on when you started following college basketball, for non-SU fans, they've gone from semi-hatred to mocking him for whining to begrudging respect, to even liking him. For SU fans, it seems like the progression has been from agonizing frustration to undeniable respect to even unrequited love.

The next few years could involve a step back if he doesn't win and/or becomes even more stubborn/irascible, continually reminding the media about how long he's been coaching, etc...

Good post. But we could have overcome that with a bette offensive effort.

But yet another flaw of this year's edition. Any muscle at all underneath for the opponent and Keita and Christmas and Grant and Southerland are pushed around and out from underneath rebounds like they were high schoolers.

Do you think Arinze gets pushed out of there that easily?

No question about the offense and those four guys. It's not a Big East thing issue. Plumlee and the big boy from Miami would've destroyed them. I just consider scoring as high as we did without the free throws a MAJOR accomplishment.

I disagree with that. This team has started to lose confidence and is making silly mistakes. Several of the 3's we take each game (lately) are poor shot selection with closing defenders and early in the shot clock, some of which are absolute bombs. We also have seen a serious increase in What are you doing? Turnovers. It seems amazing to me, but right when we have a chance to put a team away, we come up with 3 straight dagger TOs that the opposition gets easy buckets off of. TOs are something that will happen, but prevent them from leading to free layups/and-1 opportunities is all I'm asking.

If we eliminate those stupid mistakes and stretches of about 4 minutes a game where we forget how to rebound, we are easily a better squad. Meaning we aren't playing to our potential yet. If we do that, we could still make a run in march. But right now I don't think we will as we simply aren't playing smart basketball.

I still believe if we play smart, we are one of the teams capable of getting a break or two that leads us to a deep tourney run.

They are making silly mistakes because that's what they do. That's what prevents them from being very good.

But some of this is due to the structural weaknesses of the team. No inside presence leads to more ball handling out front and to passes that shouldn't be thrown. And to turn overs.

For this team, JB isn't the problem. This just isn't a very good team. Too many weaknesses. Too much dependence on outside shooting. Too hard to depend on Fair as the only inside answer.