"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..." | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..."

I really hope this is Jim's swan song. He's attained all the professional goals he is going to get. Its time for Hopkins to get his shot.

I think it's best for the program if he coaches the first year or two in the ACC, so Mike can see JB game plan for all these new schools and get used to the new league.

I think it's best for the program if he coaches the first year or two in the ACC, so Mike can see JB game plan for all these new schools and get used to the new league.

I agree. Having Hopkins take over next year AND have to do it in our first year in a brand new conference is a lot to have on his plate. Plus, I think JB should smack Ol' Roy around one last time before heading into the sunset.

How do you know that he was despised by what proportion of SU fans?

After George McGovern was trounced in the election, a Manhattan socialite complained that that was "impossible". "Every one I know voted for McGovern." she said.

Why do you think she thought that?

That is why I called you comment revisionist history. I'm sorry if you do not recall the 80's & 90's but JB's critics - especially the locals - were all over him for underperforming in the tourney. Name one other HofF Coach who takes more crap than JB? I'm not saying its justified - I'm just pointing out that he has a ton of critics and just because someone is critical of something or someone you love does not make your critics wrong. I know this is just speculation but without the 2003 NC, I don't think JB would not be here right now.

He never does worse than an "8".

The stuff "different" you want him to do i just because you are frustrated when things don't work.

It's just second guessing. We all are experts when we call for the team to go for it on 4th down ... and then critics when it doesn't work.

The different stuff is what I want him to do when the things aren't working on a consistent basis. Our offensive approach against the extended zone does not work. This is not a 1 game frustration, some of these issues have been a problem since big east play started.

Am I to assume this is one of the years he has been an 8? I have been a JB fan for years and will continue to be, but we cannot look at the past and just say he is great so I cannot criticize them

That is why I called you comment revisionist history. I'm sorry if you do not recall the 80's & 90's but JB's critics - especially the locals - were all over him for underperforming in the tourney. Name one other HofF Coach who takes more crap than JB? I'm not saying its justified - I'm just pointing out that he has a ton of critics and just because someone is critical of something or someone you love does not make your critics wrong. I know this is just speculation but without the 2003 NC, I don't think JB would not be here right now.

You have been hanging out with the wrong group of "negativos". Dome attendance would be the "proof of the pudding". In all those years in which you are claiming simmering unrest, the facts tell a different story.

The critics were wrong then and history has proven them wrong. Just like they are wrong today. There are just far fewer of them as it has sunken into the skulls of most of even this whining crowd that the guy is one of the top 10 coaches ever. Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. To the extent it has been successful, it is his success.

The different stuff is what I want him to do when the things aren't working on a consistent basis. Our offensive approach against the extended zone does not work. This is not a 1 game frustration, some of these issues have been a problem since big east play started.

Am I to assume this is one of the years he has been an 8? I have been a JB fan for years and will continue to be, but we cannot look at the past and just say he is great so I cannot criticize them

Historically, I think our offense does just fine against zones most years [obviously, accounting for some early season / game-to-game variation]. I just don't think that we have the right personnel to play well against zones THIS YEAR, due to the collective poor outside shooting.

That assessment would change 100% if MCW and Triche could consistently knock down shots to give us the floor spacing we need to make teams pay for zoning us and packing it in. And if they extended to challenge shooters, then guess what? That opens things up even more for CJ, and provides more room for the guards to penetrate, etc.

The problem isn't the scheme, the problem is the ability of this year's team [well, everyone other than CJ and Dirty] to make open shots.

Triche is Triche, he has a four year track record so I'm not surprised by his struggles. But where oh where is the scoring machine MCW was in high school? How did he score so consistenly with that flat, ugly jumper? You can't tell me his shooting form has worsened in college.

You can criticize him all you want. Just know you are a part of a smaller and smaller crowd with less and less credibility.

The argument as to whether JB is a great coach is over with. The results are in. The point has been proven.

Other coaches are smart too. They eventually see the weaknesses of a team and exploit them. There's not a lot this team can do against an extended zone. We are weak on the front line and lack any ball handling ability down there except for Fair. Our outside shooting is erratic at best. What defense would match up best against that set of weaknesses?

Boeheim hasn't gotten dumber since 2003. If anything, he's smarter. He hasn't forgotten how to coach.

He never does worse than an "8".

The stuff "different" you want him to do i just because you are frustrated when things don't work.

It's just second guessing. We all are experts when we call for the team to go for it on 4th down ... and then critics when it doesn't work.

Coaches don't raise ceilings. they build floors. You judge them by the foundation they build for a team's success. The players have to take it beyond that.

I would love to see some decent questions from reporters...some with the real insight. I get more irritated than Boeheim with some of these "questions". Why ask a what-if question about a guy who is recovering from injury at the moment? The "leader" question wasn't a question. It was a statement implying there is no leadership. After 37 years, of course he's going to get irritated at dumb, thoughtless questions. With that said, I think he would be better off PR-wise if he answered some of those nicely with "yes" or "no" answers. Or "How important is leadership...blah blah blah ?" Answer" "Very important". Would Coleman have helped?? No.

Historically, I think our offense does just fine against zones most years [obviously, accounting for some early season / game-to-game variation]. I just don't think that we have the right personnel to play well against zones THIS YEAR, due to the collective poor outside shooting.

That assessment would change 100% if MCW and Triche could consistently knock down shots to give us the floor spacing we need to make teams pay for zoning us and packing it in. And if they extended to challenge shooters, then guess what? That opens things up even more for CJ, and provides more room for the guards to penetrate, etc.

The problem isn't the scheme, the problem is the ability of this year's team [well, everyone other than CJ and Dirty] to make open shots.

When Marquette picked off the MCW pass back to Southerland at the top of the key, it shouldn't have surprised anyone. And that's not the last time that is going to happen this year. When other teams KNOW that's where you are going, its a lot harder to do successfully.

Our best option to get a basket is Fair running a loop around the mass of players in the paint.

To have our next best option Southerland bombing away is a high risk strategy.

Coaches don't raise ceilings. they build floors. You judge them by the foundation they build for a team's success. The players have to take it beyond that.
Great point.

But for this year's team, I'm coming to the conclusion that there are problems in the floor and in the ceiling. If either Christmas or Keita were any kind of inside threat, we wouldn't have so much pressure on the other options. (Not withstanding the skyhook Keita made last night)

Great point.

But for this year's team, I'm coming to the conclusion that there are problems in the floor and in the ceiling. If either Christmas or Keita were any kind of inside threat, we wouldn't have so much pressure on the other options. (Not withstanding the skyhook Keita made last night)

That was a skyhook? Keita looked like he was blindfolded and playing a carnival game.

That was a skyhook? Keita looked like he was blindfolded and playing a carnival game.
whatever it was, it's still the best move by a Syracuse post player this year.

When it went in, I dubbed it the worst shot attempt of all time that went in the hoop. I actually laughed out loud to myself at the ridiculous nature of the shot. He must be great at H-O-R-S-E.

whatever it was, it's still the best move by a Syracuse post player this year.

Ha ha. Why? Because it found the basket, perhaps by divine intervention?

When it went in, I dubbed it the worst shot attempt of all time that went in the hoop. I actually laughed out loud to myself at the ridiculous nature of the shot. He must be great at H-O-R-S-E.

I gave you a like because of your avatar. Who is that lovely woman?

If this teams does not have the talent to execute the same scheme and be successful you change the scheme. That is part of coaching.

We have 2 guards who played a total of 74 minutes last night, and never took a foul shot, that should never happen.

You can criticize him all you want. Just know you are a part of a smaller and smaller crowd with less and less credibility.

The argument as to whether JB is a great coach is over with. The results are in. The point has been proven.

Other coaches are smart too. They eventually see the weaknesses of a team and exploit them. There's not a lot this team can do against an extended zone. We are weak on the front line and lack any ball handling ability down there except for Fair. Our outside shooting is erratic at best. What defense would match up best against that set of weaknesses?

Boeheim hasn't gotten dumber since 2003. If anything, he's smarter. He hasn't forgotten how to coach.

Townie, you continue to lump anyone criticising JB today as someone who doesnt think he is a great coach. I think he is a great coach and have said so many times yet you ignore that part of people's post. Your argument seems to be that he is a great coach so we should fall in line and shut up. You try to make everything into such an extreme. I have never said he should be fired, has forgotten how to coach, or is not great. I simply said that he has not adjusted to our teams strengths and weaknesses.

I asked you earlier scale of 1-10 how has he been this year. Answer the question and if it is not a 10 what could he have done differently. I give JB an 8 this year myself.

We have 2 guards who played a total of 74 minutes last night, and never took a foul shot, that should never happen.

Guards get fouled when they go to the hoop.

Guards don't get fouled when they attempt 3 pointers.

Guards go to the hoop when there are lanes and/or there are people you can dish to that can do something with it.

If this teams does not have the talent to execute the same scheme and be successful you change the scheme. That is part of coaching.

Yes it is. Another part of coaching is not overreacting and making wholesale changes, getting away from what you do well, or trying to do things that the team isn't capable of doing just for the sake of change.

I doubt that there is any poster out there--to say nothing of the coaching staff--who expected our three backcourt players to shoot the ball as incredibly poorly collectively as they have this year.

Again, it's not the scheme.

You have been hanging out with the wrong group of "negativos". Dome attendance would be the "proof of the pudding". In all those years in which you are claiming simmering unrest, the facts tell a different story.

The critics were wrong then and history has proven them wrong. Just like they are wrong today. There are just far fewer of them as it has sunken into the skulls of most of even this whining crowd that the guy is one of the top 10 coaches ever. Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. To the extent it has been successful, it is his success.

It's tough to argue with people when they have their blind loyalty blinkers on. I do not buy the argument that none of SU's success would have never happened if it were not for JB. I just pointed out that if it were not for the 2003 NC, JB would not be around today as he would have not had the goodwill he had to survive the scandal. To argue that the he is one of the top 10 coaches ever when he has 1 NC in 37 years is just wrong given the talented that he has recruited and coached. Don't confuse longevity with greatness. I'm not a Boeheim basher, I'm just saying without the NC, he would still be the man who never won the big one.

Guards get fouled when they go to the hoop.

Guards don't get fouled when they attempt 3 pointers.

Guards go to the hoop when there are lanes and/or there are people you can dish to that can do something with it.

Oh, really? Ask our recent opponents if this is true...

It's tough to argue with people when they have their blind loyalty blinkers on. I do not buy the argument that none of SU's success would have never happened if it were not for JB. I just pointed out that if it were not for the 2003 NC, JB would not be around today as he would have not had the goodwill he had to survive the scandal. To argue that the he is one of the top 10 coaches ever when he has 1 NC in 37 years is just wrong given the talented that he has recruited and coached. Don't confuse longevity with greatness. I'm not a Boeheim basher, I'm just saying without the NC, he would still be the man who never one the big one.
Are there any other long-tenured college coaches out there who haven't won an NC?