"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..."

They are making silly mistakes because that's what they do. That's what prevents them from being very good.

But some of this is due to the structural weaknesses of the team. No inside presence leads to more ball handling out front and to passes that shouldn't be thrown. And to turn overs.

For this team, JB isn't the problem. This just isn't a very good team. Too many weaknesses. Too much dependence on outside shooting. Too hard to depend on Fair as the only inside answer.

I think some of your points are valid. But at what point do you look and wonder what we could possibly do differently. It is the same thing each game, teams are playing zone on us usually a 3-2 zone. What changes may coach be able to make to put some people in the right position. as c college coach if the talent level isnt there, that is when you really need to step up and get creative. It could be something as simple as pressing more frequently, which wouldlikely require more Conney, and Grant, but it would certainly offer us some more potential transition points

Bottom line is JB takes criticism personally. Whether you like that about him or not, it's the way he always has been and it's the way he'll always be. He also defends his players 100%.

I think some of your points are valid. But at what point do you look and wonder what we could possibly do differently. It is the same thing each game, teams are playing zone on us usually a 3-2 zone. What changes may coach be able to make to put some people in the right position. as c college coach if the talent level isnt there, that is when you really need to step up and get creative. It could be something as simple as pressing more frequently, which wouldlikely require more Conney, and Grant, but it would certainly offer us some more potential transition points

JB was dammed either way last night. If he put Cooney in and he missed 3 shots in a row people today would be lambasting him on why he was in the game. I mean there are people here that think he should be playing for LeMoyne and all of a sudden Cooney was the answer last night? Maybe it would have worked, I dont know.

JB was dammed either way last night. If he put Cooney in and he missed 3 shots in a row people today would be lambasting him on why he was in the game. I mean there are people here that think he should be playing for LeMoyne and all of a sudden Cooney was the answer last night? Maybe it would have worked, I dont know.

I understand that Marsh, but my biggest issue is that when we are clearly struglling, albeit against some pretty good teams, i think you need to try different things. Cooney played solid minutes in the first half. If our offensive gameplan stays the same throughout the remainder of the year we will struggle mightily. There are plenty of teams that lack offensive talent that can still play great basketball. I am a huge JB fan and a JB apologist veryften. These last few games have been frustrating for me. The frustration stems from the fact that some seem to think we should sit here and bash players all day, ut the second JB is mentioned is off limits.

He has not had a great year as a coch, not bad, but not great

I understand that Marsh, but my biggest issue is that when we are clearly struglling, albeit against some pretty good teams, i think you need to try different things. Cooney played solid minutes in the first half. If our offensive gameplan stays the same throughout the remainder of the year we will struggle mightily. There are plenty of teams that lack offensive talent that can still play great basketball. I am a huge JB fan and a JB apologist veryften. These last few games have been frustrating for me. The frustration stems from the fact that some seem to think we should sit here and bash players all day, ut the second JB is mentioned is off limits.

He has not had a great year as a coch, not bad, but not great

I hear you. I was surprised he didnt put him back in as well. I think he just thought that if Triche could get a couple of shots in a row to fall that he would then get into that rhythm that we have seen him get into at times this year. Problem is it just never happened.

It is clear that we were getting pounded on the glass, yet our two best rebounders (Coleman and Grant) never saw the court in the second half. That is coaching. He rides guys thru thick and thin. It has worked many many times thru the years, but this year just isnt the case.

I know people will say they are not our best rebounders, but they are... JSouth is one of the worst defenders we have had in a long while. His side of the zone is torched possession after possession. We can all have our own opinions, but the once FACT is that this team is going the wrong way at the wrong time.

A lousiville win has become a must. A loss, and we are looking at a 4/5 seed at best (in both tournies).

It is clear that we were getting pounded on the glass, yet our two best rebounders (Coleman and Grant) never saw the court in the second half. That is coaching. He rides guys thru thick and thin. It has worked many many times thru the years, but this year just isnt the case.

I know people will say they are not our best rebounders, but they are... JSouth is one of the worst defenders we have had in a long while. His side of the zone is torched possession after possession. We can all have our own opinions, but the once FACT is that this team is going the wrong way at the wrong time.

A lousiville win has become a must. A loss, and we are looking at a 4/5 seed at best (in both tournies).
In fairness I dont know that you throw Coleman out there for his first game back. Especially considereing how physicall things were. Bring him along and ensure he is 100% to close out BE play and head to the post season

You are correct with JS. For every 3 he hits, he gives up 4.

Can anyone find the +/- for Grant vs Southerland last night?
I feel like every major run we went on was with Grant in the game.

Wasn't JB "despised" by a significant number of SU fans before winning a NC? After that win, stint in the Olympics, HOF etc. recruiting McD's it all seem to change and is seen by most if not nearly all SU fans as walking on water. This seems to me after these losses and unmet expectations that JB rep is starting to tarnish by some.

Wasn't JB "despised" by a significant number of SU fans before winning a NC? After that win, stint in the Olympics, HOF etc. recruiting McD's it all seem to change and is seen by most if not nearly all SU fans as walking on water. This seems to me after these losses and unmet expectations that JB rep is starting to tarnish by some.
No. Boeheim was never despised by a significant number of SU fans ever.

There was a level of impatience. And some squawking by the usual suspects who when frustrated in their sometimes unrealistic expectations lash out at the most visible manifestation of the program, the head coach. They forget there are more than 100 other programs out there all trying to achieve the same thing. You find the same group surrounding any franchise or team. It's always either the head coach or "Why don't we play the 2nd team QB?". It's a predictable as a forecast of snow for Syracuse sometime during a winter.

In fairness I dont know that you throw Coleman out there for his first game back. Especially considereing how physicall things were. Bring him along and ensure he is 100% to close out BE play and head to the post season

the thing is, it couldnt have gotten any worse. And if it was, you take him right out. Baye and Rak were getting mauled (honestly, they wer ebeing fouled)... I could see Dejuan throwing elbows and getting ejected, but at least it would have provided a spark.

I was watching the "Reggie Time" 30 for 30 the other day. Towards the end, they were talking about the Patrick Ewing drive to the lane where he missed a bunny lay-up that could've sent the Knicks to the Eastern Conference finals. The team knew after Ewing missed that layup that the run for that group was over.

I feel the same way about Boeheim. He's earned the right to coach abother 10 years if he wants. But it just feels like his run is over. It feels like its Hopkins turn.
It feel that way last year? This team just isn't good enough.

the thing is, it couldnt have gotten any worse. And if it was, you take him right out. Baye and Rak were getting mauled (honestly, they wer ebeing fouled)... I could see Dejuan throwing elbows and getting ejected, but at least it would have provided a spark.

my oint wasnt one of talent or skill, but whther or not he was ready to come back after the injury

No. Boeheim was never despised by a significant number of SU fans ever.

There was a level of impatience. And some squawking by the usual suspects who when frustrated in their sometimes unrealistic expectations lash out at the most visible manifestation of the program, the head coach.

Revisionist History? My memory is different than yours as JB was despised in the 80's & 90's as a guy who could not win the big game. The expectations were not unrealistic either as his teams consistently lost to less talented teams and he was often called out for being out coached. It was not until the FF team in 1996 - in a year with low expectations -before his critics backed off. With the NC in 03 he and the 2-3 zone became untouchable. If SU does win the NC in 03 there is no way that JB survives the Bernie Fine scandal. The problem is that NC was 10 years ago and Syracuse has not been to the FF since then so the natives are growing restless.

Finally watched the presser on SU Athletics, (it wasn't up last night). JB was calm and every point he made was right on. He doesn't like "Why don't you do this instead of what you did" questions. I don't blame him.

SOME of the natives are getting restless. It's the same crowd that calls for the head of the coach of any team they root for when they don't win it all as frequently as they would like. It says more about the people who complain than it does JB.

SOME of the natives are getting restless. It's the same crowd that calls for the head of the coach of any team they root for when they don't win it all as frequently as they would like. It says more about the people who complain than it does JB.

Townie I am curious, and not trying to confrontational. You have been very clear in your defense of JB, which I appreciate. On a scale of 1-10 how do you think he has done this year as a coach. Do you believe he has made every move correctly or is there possibly areas he could have tried soemthing differently? 4-5 in the last 9 games cannot simply be pinned on talent, can it?

This team is a lot like the 2001-2002 edition, fell apart at the end because of too many agenda's. MCW needs to leave with the seniors, and next year we can start with a fresh slate. Coleman wasn't ready to play at this level, and shouldn't have been in the starting lineup, Rak should have been center , James at forward. This team could easily lose 2 of next 3, end up 23-8 lose in 1st round of Big East Tournament and be a bubble team. Getting in the tournament and getting 1 win would be a nice finish for this team, we have too many complimentary players, and no real stars.

This team is a lot like the 2001-2002 edition, fell apart at the end because of too many agenda's. MCW needs to leave with the seniors, and next year we can start with a fresh slate. Coleman wasn't ready to play at this level, and shouldn't have been in the starting lineup, Rak should have been center , James at forward. This team could easily lose 2 of next 3, end up 23-8 lose in 1st round of Big East Tournament and be a bubble team. Getting in the tournament and getting 1 win would be a nice finish for this team, we have too many complimentary players, and no real stars.

We will never be talked about in the same sentence as a bubble team this year. Our seed may take a hit but the bubble aint happening.

Townie I am curious, and not trying to confrontational. You have been very clear in your defense of JB, which I appreciate. On a scale of 1-10 how do you think he has done this year as a coach. Do you believe he has made every move correctly or is there possibly areas he could have tried soemthing differently? 4-5 in the last 9 games cannot simply be pinned on talent, can it?

He never does worse than an "8".

The stuff "different" you want him to do i just because you are frustrated when things don't work.

It's just second guessing. We all are experts when we call for the team to go for it on 4th down ... and then critics when it doesn't work.

This team could easily lose 2 of next 3, end up 23-8 lose in 1st round of Big East Tournament and be a bubble team.

We are nowhere close to the bubble in that scenario. We'd probably be a 6 or 7 seed.

How do you know that he was despised by what proportion of SU fans?

After George McGovern was trounced in the election, a Manhattan socialite complained that that was "impossible". "Every one I know voted for McGovern." she said.

Why do you think she thought that?

We are nowhere close to the bubble in that scenario. We'd probably be a 6 or 7 seed.

The worst possible seed we could get is a 7 if we lose out. I will even humor people and say maybe an 8 but I would put all my money on a 7 as the cellar.