Go vote - ESPN poll question does NC State deserve an apology | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Go vote - ESPN poll question does NC State deserve an apology

sorry if this has been posted -

Poll is tipping heavily in the "yes" direction - go over and help right the ship!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll/conversation/_/id/4195013
Wow, that call wasn't even close to controversial. First I thought the coach of NC State was the saddest and most idiotic person ever for his comments crying about that call after the game.

Then whoever it was at ESPN that decided to put up a poll on this non-issue moved up to the Idiot of the Year.

Then all the people who voted in favor of an apology jumped up and took the lead. It is true: NC State are the stupidest fans in the country. They are even dumber than Rutgers fans. Props to them for leading the nation in something.

Well, y'all are getting the scoop on the aggies right out of the gate.

I would like to extend an apology to Syracuse. The ACC has no business keeping a school like ncsu in the conference. They are an academic embarrassment, demonstrably the worst athletic department in the nation, and boast a fanbase comprised of the most vile, ignorant, and detestable sumbitches among the BCS schools.

I know you guys wish you had left no doubt about the game and won by twenty points. But after a few years, you will come to appreciate winning close games against the aggies where there is some slender and pathetic hope that they will cling to for weeks afterward. Some close call they can focus their attention on to divert the pain from the endless void of their incompetence.

Everyone knows that Syracuse is the better university - in both athletics and academics. The real fun is watching what the aggies grasp to in order to convince themselves otherwise.

Cold! :D

Wow, that call wasn't even close to controversial. First I thought the coach of NC State was the saddest and most idiotic person ever for his comments crying about that call after the game.

Then whoever it was at ESPN that decided to put up a poll on this non-issue moved up to the Idiot of the Year.

Then all the people who voted in favor of an apology jumped up and took the lead. It is true: NC State are the stupidest fans in the country. They are even dumber than Rutgers fans. Props to them for leading the nation in something.

Well, I'll point out that fully 300 of the 800 votes in that poll are from North Carolina, and they are running 90-10 yes. New York only had 82 votes when I voted. Most states have ten or fewer votes. So this stupid poll hit an NC State board and the aggies went there en masse.

JOC44 said:
Well, I'll point out that fully 300 of the 800 votes in that poll are from North Carolina, and they are running 90-10 yes. New York only had 82 votes when I voted. Most states have ten or fewer votes. So this stupid poll hit an NC State board and the aggies went there en masse.
. No way that team has 300 fans! Thanks for looking at the data breakdown.

this is amazing. do these people not understand continuation??? in the nba thats a 3 pt play, in college thats NOT EVEN CLOSE

You're quite correct. This is precisely the problem, however. There are many people who don't understand there is a difference. A whole lot of people watch NBA and think it's the pinnacle to which all the rest are trying to reach. So when something happens on a basketball court that's different from the NBA, their reaction is generally along the lines of "Those people are so stupid" or "That's why they're not in the NBA." If not both. It's at its worst with kids. They're so conditioned to think anything on TV is the best and the brightest. When they try to do things that they see on the NBA and they pick up fouls or get whistled for violations, it's because the refs are incompetent.

A friend of mine went to an NBA referee's identification camp, and came back with some interesting stories. For example, if you make a call outside your 'primary' you get a formal warning. Do it again and it's a fine, and a third time warrants a dismissal. The NBA is first and foremost a money-making machine and they control very tightly what can and cannot be called by officials. For if the curtain suddenly went up, and the ticket-buying public were to discover that the league's greatest stars didn't even have some of the skills of most local HS kids (ie, can't score without traveling), they'd start seeing that "The emperor has no clothes," and stop watching (read: stop spending their $$$).

Last edited:
You're quite correct. This is precisely the problem, however. There are many people who don't understand there is a difference. A whole lot of people watch NBA and think it's the pinnacle to which all the rest are trying to reach. So when something happens on a basketball court that's different from the NBA, their reaction is generally along the lines of "Those people are so stupid" or "That's why they're not in the NBA." If not both. It's at it's worst with kids. They're so conditioned to think anything on TV is the best and the brightest. When they try to do things that they see on the NBA and they pick up fouls or get whistled for violations, it's because the refs are incompetent.

A friend of mine went to an NBA referee's identification camp, and came back with some interesting stories. For example, if you make a call outside your 'primary' you get a formal warning. Do it again and it's a fine, and a third time warrants a dismissal. The NBA is first and foremost a money-making machine and they control very tightly what can and cannot be called by officials. For if the curtain suddenly went up, and the ticket-buying public were to discover that the league's greatest stars didn't even have some of the skills of most local HS kids (ie, can't score without traveling), they'd start seeing that "The emperor has no clothes," and stop watching (read: stop spending their $$$).
What is "primary"?

One of my friends works in the stats department at ESPN and is a UNC fan. I am sure he can get to the bottom of this for us :)

This poll proves that 7 out of 10 fans who watched that game do not understand or don't care about the rules of the college game.

The votes are tightening...

Interesting that those voting "no" leave cogent comments since the truth is on their side yet the wolfpack voters leave no comments (they obviously know that their delusions only fly on PackPride and know they have no leg to stand on in a real debate... which makes their carrying-on over there even more pathetic...)

1797400_517240661730830_1430284267_n.jpg

Bring these things to the UNC board, our wuffie hatred knows no bounds.
Well, y'all are getting the scoop on the aggies right out of the gate.

I would like to extend an apology to Syracuse. The ACC has no business keeping a school like ncsu in the conference. They are an academic embarrassment, demonstrably the worst athletic department in the nation, and boast a fanbase comprised of the most vile, ignorant, and detestable sumbitches among the BCS schools.

I know you guys wish you had left no doubt about the game and won by twenty points. But after a few years, you will come to appreciate winning close games against the aggies where there is some slender and pathetic hope that they will cling to for weeks afterward. Some close call they can focus their attention on to divert the pain from the endless void of their incompetence.

Everyone knows that Syracuse is the better university - in both athletics and academics. The real fun is watching what the aggies grasp to in order to convince themselves otherwise.

I started a thread a few days back about how insane the NC St board was. I was just lurking, and wow, what a mess. Granted, some of it had to do with the tough loss they had, but certainly not all. Some of the threads over there were completely absurd and made me want to go read a book. I mean it seemed like half the words were bleeped out with an *.

Is it always like that? Seems the mods don't do a great job. This board is also very well run, so maybe I'm biased.

Should ESPN apologize for degrading sports to simple polls devoid of any actual meaning and completely removed from the rule book made to make the correct call?

Yes: 1000%
No: 0%

ESPiN at it again. Why let good news reporting / journalism get in the way of advertising revenue and internet clicks drummed up by a "controversy". As someone linked to on an earlier thread, the slow motion replay shows the referees had the correct call.

On a slight tangent to this - complaining about the referees is a pretty useless exercise. If you take a step back and look at it objectively, the fans of both teams whine like 13 year old girls throughout the game convinced that their team is getting jobbed by the referees. The truth, like most things in life, lies somewhere in a grey area. Complaining about one call toward the end of a game is ridiculous because chances are that throughout the game there were errant calls (or who knows, the refs may have gotten them right, despite what fans think). So to point to one call in isolation from the rest of the game is an unfair depiction of the entire game.

There are still people calling Rak's block on Hood "questionable" and yet just a few minutes earlier there was a foul on Cooney that the review seemed to show the defender practically slid into him. Yet the latter of the two gets no mention because it wasnt at the very end of the game. If that call had been made properly, its very possible the "questionable" call on Hood would be rendered useless.

Sorry for the long rant, but it has always been my opinion that complaining about the officiating of a game is a waste with very, very few exceptions. Fans of both teams on the other hand, seem to think every game they watch warrants complaining.

Sorry for the long rant, but it has always been my opinion that complaining about the officiating of a game is a waste with very, very few exceptions. Fans of both teams on the other hand, seem to think every game they watch warrants complaining.

Can this be tacked?

It's not your opinion- it's a fact. There is so much happening throughout the course of a basketball game it is literally impossible to get every call. In fact, some act like there is always a completely right/wrong call, but it's just not the case. Refs will ALWAYS impact the game, because fouls/out of bounds calls, etc are part of the game.

Everyone complains about officiating at some point, but again, that is just part of the game.

Sometimes the calls go your way, sometimes they don't. In the long run, everything tends to regress back to the mean.

I refuse to vote because it only legitimizes the stupidity of this "poll".
It was one of many judgement calls in the game. Get over it. If anyone deserves an "apology", it is Maryland after the scorer failed to change the possession arrow when they played Duke.

I refuse to vote because it only legitimizes the stupidity of this "poll".
It was one of many judgement calls in the game. Get over it. If anyone deserves an "apology", it is Maryland after the scorer failed to change the possession arrow when they played Duke.

Agreed. Judgement calls happen all game. The possession arrow? That had nothing to do with judgement- that was purely a fact.

I try to be very objective when it comes to the refs, but when I'm watching a game I can't help but complain when I see an obvious missed call. It happens...both ways.

They're human. Some maybe a little less competent than others.

I started a thread a few days back about how insane the NC St board was. I was just lurking, and wow, what a mess. Granted, some of it had to do with the tough loss they had, but certainly not all. Some of the threads over there were completely absurd and made me want to go read a book. I mean it seemed like half the words were bleeped out with an *.

Is it always like that? Seems the mods don't do a great job. This board is also very well run, so maybe I'm biased.

Yes, it is always like that. In fact, it can get worse.

Umm, their mods take part in those meltdowns, including the sites owner.

I don't know which is worse, the fact that they created a poll for this, or that people actually took the time to vote.