Going to miss Jimmy when he is gone | Syracusefan.com

Going to miss Jimmy when he is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUGumbo

Walk On
My Dad who is 72, my uncle mid 60s and my next door neighbor late 50s all can't wait for Jim to retire.

For some reason people think we may have more championships with a different coach. I may not completely disagree for specific in game coaching but Jim (with the help of Pearl and ESPN) built this program. His consistency cannot be questioned and this year he has a team on the bubble that shouldn't be close.

He is a top ten coach all time and people need to be careful what the wish for (see Pitt and UConn). When he is gone we will not be the same. He is a geeky student of the game and is extremely intelligent and watches hours of basketball. His Demeanor and curmudgeon attitude annoys me sometimes but he earned that right.

I understand complaining about things you wish a coach would change but those of you who want him gone are nuts

My Dad who is 72, my uncle mid 60s and my next door neighbor late 50s all can't wait for Jim to retire.

For some reason people think we may have more championships with a different coach. I may not completely disagree for specific in game coaching but Jim (with the help of Pearl and ESPN) built this program. His consistency cannot be questioned and this year he has a team on the bubble that shouldn't be close.

He is a top ten coach all time and people need to be careful what the wish for (see Pitt and UConn). When he is gone we will not be the same. He is a geeky student of the game and is extremely intelligent and watches hours of basketball. His Demeanor and curmudgeon attitude annoys me sometimes but he earned that right.

I understand complaining about things you wish a coach would change but those of you who want him gone are nuts
What he’s doing this season is a borderline miracle. We’re a few bounces away from being in the same position as Clemson.

I have a hard time believing that over the next 42 years, we will be as good as the last 42 years. We may win another title or two, but there is no denying that Jb is an all time great. Long term, we won't be better without him. But I will be long dead so good luck guys.

What he’s doing this season is a borderline miracle. We’re a few bounces away from being in the same position as Clemson.
Agree love the way he has adjusted lineups and offensive strategy

I have a hard time believing that over the next 42 years, we will be as good as the last 42 years. We may win another title or two, but there is no denying that Jb is an all time great. Long term, we won't be better without him. But I will be long dead so good luck guys.
As will I and that was my point also. A few games switching to Man might have helped but the consistency he has had over the years is really unparalleled in all of sports

I pretty much agree with all of that except for giving ESPN any credit for the success of our program.

Who am I going to argue with when you're gone?

I pretty much agree with all of that except for giving ESPN any credit for the success of our program.
Yeah but didn't hurt because ESPN and Big East had all kids wanting to play in that conference. We got a decent amount of exposure too

I'm a diehard fan since seeing Pearl play on TV. I live in Minnesota and have no connection whatsoever to SU but everyone who knows me knows I bleed orange. I have missed seeing only a hand full of televised Cuse games since the mid 1980's. I often wonder if I will still have a love for Syracuse basketball after JB is gone. I believe the there are thousands of Orange fans like me across the country that follow SU basketball mainly because of JB. After he is gone I wonder if Syracuse basketball will still be a strong national brand.

Yeah but didn't hurt because ESPN and Big East had all kids wanting to play in that conference. We got a decent amount of exposure too

We did but a lot of the other BE teams got plenty of exposure too and didn't build their programs up like SU. Btw CBS televised a lot of the games, too.

Think back to the 1980's.

What college basketball games were on TV nationally featuring teams in a new League that previously had little exposures?

That's why ESPN was so critical to the climb of SU basketball.

Without it, we are mIred in the ECAC hoping to play in the regionally- telecast under-card game on Saturday.

How many people in the US know who Pearl Washington was?

Now how many know who Dennis Duvall was.

The difference between the two was ESPN.

What college basketball games were on TV nationally featuring teams in a new League that previously had little exposures?

Without it, we are mIred in the ECAC hoping to play in the regionally- telecast under-card game on Saturday.

But we elevated our program above and beyond the others and maintained it. ESPN doesn't deserve credit for that. Plus CBS televised plenty of BE games back then, too.

But we elevated our program above and beyond the others and maintained it. ESPN doesn't deserve credit for that. Plus CBS televised plenty of BE games back then, too.
CBS broadcasts were not national. They were regional.

But that's not what you said originally.

You said ESPN didn't deserve any of the credit.

And CBS did have games and we were occasionally on TV as the under-card game against Penn State.

ESPN didn't elevate every big east program, only those with great coaches in place. UConn wallowed until it hired JC.

This is literally the logic that led to Greg Robinson.
True daT!

And I am sure when asked about it in the midst of the GRob debacle, they defended themselves by saying, "Hey, I'm just a fan. They shouldn't have listened to me."

This reminds me of the scene in Animal House when Flounder is looking at the wreckage of his brother's car after their road trip.

Otter tells him, "You screwed up. You trusted us."

When that breath of fresh air turns into a 50mph gale, the guys who wanted the window open will be long gone.

ESPN didn't elevate every big east program, only those with great coaches in place. UConn wallowed until it hired JC.
Well, good coaches need good players. And that's the door ESPN opened.

old big east had several great coaches. JB, rollie, pj , thompson , pitino, massimino , carneseca ...et al. basically everybody.
PJ joined later. He elevated the hall, not espn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors