Golf Question Regarding Greensboro | Syracusefan.com

Golf Question Regarding Greensboro

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Planning on doing some golfing while I am down in Greensboro.

Any recommendations on good courses to play in that area? What kind of condition will they be in next week? Will the grass still be dormant?

Thanks!

If you can get in, the ACC was born at the Sedgefield Country Club. Might need a connection, though.

http://www.sedgefieldcc.org

Or you can drive about an hour south to Pinehurst and play on some awesome PGA courses ( http://www.pinehurst.com ), and Duke's Robert Trent Jones course is about an hour east (http://www.washingtondukeinn.com/Duke_University_Golf_Club/duke_university_golf_club.asp ).

Golfing opportunities in NC are plentiful. March in NC is a bit more forgiving than Syracuse, if perhaps a bit chilly still (chilly as we see it in NC - 50s or 60s).

Most of these courses are within two hours of G'boro: http://www.triadgolf.com/?page_id=9

-jk

Aim high, Tom. Pinehurst #2 or nothing.

Call 855-488-8612 and ask for the ACC Tournament Discount.

Seriously, I am not making this up. I am looking at an ad for it right now.

(Send me an email or a PM if you have any questions)

I was going to suggest Pinehurst 2 as well. You're right there.

Get in touch with Crusty. He lives in Pinehurst I believe

March is Canadian month down here...lots of Quebec and Montreal plates every weekend and all of them flying low to get to golf courses. If you're driving down be careful and enjoy the trip. :)

If you play Pinehurst #2 you'd better have your short game with you big time. Craig Stadler once described trying to hold a shot into the greens there as being similar to attempting to hold the shot on an army helmet.
Great course to say you played it, but personally I think there are courses at Pinehurst you might enjoy more.

If you play Pinehurst #2 you'd better have your short game with you big time. Craig Stadler once described trying to hold a shot into the greens there as being similar to attempting to hold the shot on an army helmet.
Great course to say you played it, but personally I think there are courses at Pinehurst you might enjoy more.
Tom is a very good golfer. Don't sell him short. He played the Bethpage Black when he was in NYC last year.

Tom is a very good golfer. Don't sell him short. He played the Bethpage Black when he was in NYC last year.
Not saying he isn't, just saying #2 plays tough around the greens. Oh, it would also blow his mind to see where they have set the tee boxes for the Open especially a hole that normally plays as a par 5 that's stretched longer and made a par 4 for the pros. Sick.

#2 is very difficult. I think the Black is harder (I've probably played the Black 15 times and it gets harder every time I play it) just because of its length and brutal rough but #2 is no picnic. Especially around the greens like you said. I havent played it since they redid everything and really am looking forward to seeing the changes.

If you are a 15 handicap or higher dont play #2. Too hard and like you said there are other courses there that are much more enjoyable to play.

Tobacco Road is by pinehurst. Nice course built out of an old quarry. There's a bunker there that will blow anyone's mind.

If you're in Pinehurst and don't want to play the club Mid South and Pine Needles are great...the woman's open was at Pine Needles not that long ago. Then again CCNC, Talamore, etc etc are all really nice to play.

trust me, there are a TON of hackers on bethpage black.

trust me, there are a TON of hackers on bethpage black.

Yes yes there are. I love the guys who show up and ask for a cart when playing the Black...the response from the employees is priceless.

Lonnie Poole in Raleigh is a really nice course. Was built recently and houses the NCSU PGA/Golf Course Management major.

Pinehurst #2 is a bucket-list type course. If you get the chance, you should play it. That said, I actually preferred #4. It's nearly as challenging (they hosted the U.S. Amateur several times recently), and even more beautiful.