Golf venues: has anyone been to both St. Andrews/Scotland as well as Bandon Dunes? | Syracusefan.com

Golf venues: has anyone been to both St. Andrews/Scotland as well as Bandon Dunes?

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Other than the history of the game, is there anything you get in Scotland that you don’t get in Bandon?

Other than the history of the game, is there anything you get in Scotland that you don’t get in Bandon?
Not sure you can get Haggis in Bandon. LOL!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Can also do Cabot Cliffs / Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia for the similar high end coastal experience.

I have and this is a WILD question. That said, I played Bandon when it was relatively new like 20-22 years ago. I loved both places but it's Scotland versus Coos Bay, OR. Both nice places but tough to compare. Similar climates much of the year?

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I have never been to either.

To me, golf course history is a big deal. Especially when talking about The Old Course and its special place in golf history.

Every great golfer in history has walked that course and played it over the course of what, over 150 years? That is pretty special.

Teeing off and aiming over the corner of the hotel on 17 is something no other course can offer. Dealing with how tight things get on the approach on The Road Hole, with the Valley of Sin in front of the green, the road on the right and the bunker from hell on the left... that is special stuff.

Teeing off on 18, with the town in play right is also unique and special.

Not sure if Bandon has irrigation but I suspect it does and you really can't play true links style golf on it during the summer because the fairways are too lush and alive.

I have seen enough pictures to be sold Bandon is a great achievement and I would love to play it. That said, I doubt the greens have the unique dramatic undulations and slopes that were cut by nature at St Andrews. I doubt the bunkers at Brandon are quite as special as the ones nature created at St Andrews.

Do the courses at Banyon go out along the ocean in one direction for nine holes and return in the other for the back nine? Again, this feature tests a golfer's ability to play in dramatically different types of wind and if the Bandon courses have a more American type routing where the ninth hole ends near the clubhouse and the 10th is also close by, it isn't quite the same.

Kudos to the designers who built the courses at Bandon. Probably the most exciting golf complex built in the US. Ever. But for me, if I had to choose between these, I would go with The Old Course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom