Gonzaga's Basketball Forum | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga's Basketball Forum

This is going to be a very difficult game. I was pulling hard for Utah to win as this would have been a way more favorable matchup. We will have to win this game on the offensive end as opposed to the defensive end. We need to score points and wont be able to win a grind out 55-54 type game IMO.
bro, I am a new poster and respect your insight but I just don't like the match up stuff. We have to play Gonzaga and hope the kids and Boehiem have a plan, match ups can blow up in your face once the game begins. Play your game, stick to whatever JAB draws up and you are probably, and I say again, probably going to win

Completely off topic on Zag v. Orange, or even libel issues arising therefrom: Damn, I love your board's format. Smooth, clean, easy to use.
I have grown to appreciate our mods b/c I had never run into a format that I liked better than our own, but this one is right there. Way to go.

BTW: For the person that worries you lose the 54-53 grinder, I think it's the opposite. I think you win that one. We haven't lost a game where we scored 70. The games we lose are the grinders. We have led late in every game we've lost this year save for SMU (and we led in the second half there, too), but we "grind" to a halt, so to speak. I may be wrong but a high scoring up and down the floor affair is to our advantage, I think. But, a physical defensive scrum is your path to victory. Just IMO.

Damn I love this format . . :)

pulaski74 said:
bro, I am a new poster and respect your insight but I just don't like the match up stuff. We have to play Gonzaga and hope the kids and Boehiem have a plan, match ups can blow up in your face once the game begins. Play your game, stick to whatever JAB draws up and you are probably, and I say again, probably going to win
I hear ya but when we have been matched up with teams in the ncaas with small guards we have always had a huge advantage

I hear ya but when we have been matched up with teams in the ncaas with small guards we have always had a huge advantage
Gonzaga doesn't have a player in their rotation under 6-3. That's small?

And I don't think the poor matchup thing has anything to do with the size of their guards. It's their well-rounded (and often dominant) big men, skilled passing, high three-point shooting percentage and the fact that they're Top 20 in the country in rebounding margin.

The BYU guards put big numbers up on the board against the Zags this year in three close games. What I like about this matchup is they do not force many turnovers. I know McClellan is a good defender, but Whitehead played awful, and he's not as good as Gbinije to begin with.

We have the best perimeter players they will have seen all tournament. Lydon is growing up. I think we are a tough matchup for them as well, especially if Mal and Cooney are knocking down shots.

Last edited:
Completely off topic on Zag v. Orange, or even libel issues arising therefrom: Damn, I love your board's format. Smooth, clean, easy to use.
I have grown to appreciate our mods b/c I had never run into a format that I liked better than our own, but this one is right there. Way to go.

BTW: For the person that worries you lose the 54-53 grinder, I think it's the opposite. I think you win that one. We haven't lost a game where we scored 70. The games we lose are the grinders. We have led late in every game we've lost this year save for SMU (and we led in the second half there, too), but we "grind" to a halt, so to speak. I may be wrong but a high scoring up and down the floor affair is to our advantage, I think. But, a physical defensive scrum is your path to victory. Just IMO.

xenforo is a great and very adaptable message board system. your site runs vbulliten, which is actually a more robust program. you have have the mods over there reskin it with something more visually appealing pretty easily.

speaking of websites (and I know that no one really is) if you (or any other zags fans here posting/lurking) are parents of young children, I'd like you to sign up to a free website I'm involved with www.FriendsForParents.com Its a non-romantic matchmaking site for parents (make new mommy friends, daddy friends, etc) We could use some more NW flavor and it would be cool if one of you started a zags fan parents group [/shamelessplug]

as for the game, its the S16. everything is a toss up. good luck to you guys...just not so much.

HEY GONZAGA FANS, YOUR TEAM IS STINKY! WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR BUTT! SABONIS IS TRASH! MARK FEW COULDNT COACH HIS WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG! EAST COAST DESTROYS THE WEST COAST! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I didn't read this entire thread because, well, its about two fan bases trying to RATIONALIZE why their team will kick the snot out of the other.

So, I like this Cord's post a 1000 times. F'YA GONZAGA, we're gonna pee in your soup!

Well Marsh, this guy was dead on.