Good Article on How Syracuse Missed the Best Player out of CNY in Years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good Article on How Syracuse Missed the Best Player out of CNY in Years

Only Brian Ward saw his potential. Sigh.
Not really wards fault, they saw him as a better fit in a different position, he was also a two star recruit and everyone would’ve bitched about “wasting a spot” on a two star guy.

Can’t have your cake and eat it too. Can’t ask to get the best players available (cuse got 3 higher ranked guys) but also complain about how they didn’t go after a guy who’s was barely top 75 in the state.

I think there is raw talent there it's just overlooked partly because how far behind nys highschool football is. Look at Derrick Gore, playing for the chiefs now, perfect example

i don’t care what people say about upstate. You have to use some
resources to guage, follow and secure home grown talent. It’s there. For god sakes our best NFL product in 20 years was from upstate.

Not only do you find diamonds in the rough, you generate community interest and put butts in the seats.
And these guys get degrees and go back to their areas and become leaders in their communities across the state.

IMO, Babers has overall shown very little interest in the community as a whole. Perhaps growing up a military brat instilled that in him, but othe than offering the CBA FR WR, has there been much attention to the 315?

This is the stuff that only matters when not winning. Totally get this lack of overall talent in the state, but given the types of recruiting classes we’ve had, it would be great to see any tie in debate end in extending the offer.

Oh well.

Hey, they recruited my next door neighbor 3 years ago. But only offered as a walk on.

Casey Rogers from Westhill. Was committed to SU lax (Lelan’s son) then decided that he really wanted to play football. He wanted to go to SU but Dino didn’t want him. He now starts for Nebraska on the D line.

This thread is great and puts the idea of upstate producing no D1 talent to ineptitude and laziness, Q. If Syracuse wants the top talent in New York to want to come and play for the Orange, they have to get a large enough cadre of New York recruits on the team so that it feels like it's a New York team and those guys want to go and play with guys they've met and played against. there are so many guys on the roster that really don't produce much, can't see how in state guys won't do better after 3 or 4 years of development.

Not really wards fault, they saw him as a better fit in a different position, he was also a two star recruit and everyone would’ve bitched about “wasting a spot” on a two star guy.

Can’t have your cake and eat it too. Can’t ask to get the best players available (cuse got 3 higher ranked guys) but also complain about how they didn’t go after a guy who’s was barely top 75 in the state.

One who seemed to want to go to Pitt his whole life. LB recruiting was above average that year.

Sometimes I think the families just get bitter or embarrassed that they didn’t get the local love so they make it a bigger deal than it was.

I think our recruiting plan needs to improve considerably, but stories like this always have two sides. Another reason to hope we win tomorrow.

Its a crap shoot. SU cant afford to take every borderline P5 prospect in NY to see if they pan out or not. There will always be players that leave the state and do well. It happens in every state. SU struggles to win hurts more to see those guys do well at other schools. We dont know how every kid is going to perform on campus until they get there. So talking about all these kids that did well after the fact is irrelavant. Ive heard from multiple coaches that NYS is one of the hardest places to evaluate players. There will be misses but there will also be some situations like Chandler Jones and Jay Bromley as well.

This thread is great and puts the idea of upstate producing no D1 talent to ineptitude and laziness, Q. If Syracuse wants the top talent in New York to want to come and play for the Orange, they have to get a large enough cadre of New York recruits on the team so that it feels like it's a New York team and those guys want to go and play with guys they've met and played against. there are so many guys on the roster that really don't produce much, can't see how in state guys won't do better after 3 or 4 years of development.
Sounds great but is there any evidence of Syracuse being good with primarily NYS kids?

Its a crap shoot. SU cant afford to take every borderline P5 prospect in NY to see if they pan out or not. There will always be players that leave the state and do well. It happens in every state. SU struggles to win hurts more to see those guys do well at other schools. We dont know how every kid is going to perform on campus until they get there. So talking about all these kids that did well after the fact is irrelavant. Ive heard from multiple coaches that NYS is one of the hardest places to evaluate players. There will be misses but there will also be some situations like Chandler Jones and Jay Bromley as well.
One factor you have to consider now that the portal is here is that if you recruit New York guys, they probably won't transfer as a Syracuse degree is very strong here. You really need a different recruiting evaluation for these players. The first thing I think you ask themt is are you coming for a degree first and foremost and are you OK waiting 3 years to get a shot and will you stay 4 or 5 years.

Sounds great but is there any evidence of Syracuse being good with primarily NYS kids?
Well, there isn't much evidence for this as the sample is small, but UB became very good at their level with NY guys and I don't think they got the cream of the crop.

Belief without evidence.

You hear it enough, you start to believe it…without evidence.

Agree with most of that but the amount of NY kids we have on the roster is pathetic. IMO it shows that our staff doesn't have relationships with NY HSs. That cannot happen. Not sure what our recruiting strategy is. How do you have so few from your home state and none from talent rich Ohio?

Tyler Rouse, Tyvon Branch, Gary Gibson, Terry Butler, Jo Lon Dunbar, Latavius Murray, Mike Hart, Paulus Brothers, Will Smith

There have been a handful of OL from section 3 that went to BC.

Pitt grabbed a bunch from Rochester, Syracuse.

Rutgers grabbed a few from up here and Rochester.

As noted Dion Lewis and Albany area kids we seem to never be in on.

Kid from Cato went to Brockport ended up with Bears.

There have been talented kids overlooked, under recruited, or missed for sure.

Also to be fair, a bunch of these kids had no interest in going to SU
Most of those BC kids went to CBA, a Catholic school then to BC a Catholic college who obviously have a successful connection and history together.

Yeah, I think we would actually have had a pass-catching TE in our offense. A shame things worked out the way they did.
Why do ppl think Horan would have caught passes for us? I think he had about 11 catches in his HS career and we haven’t thrown to the tight end in years

Why do ppl think Horan would have caught passes for us? I think he had about 11 catches in his HS career and we haven’t thrown to the tight end in years
Just because BVille didn’t throw to him that doesn’t preclude someone else from throwing to him. He had good size, speed, and hey, he caught a TD in his first game. Just a belief in my part. And I can’t explain we we don’t throw to the. TEs now.

Well, there isn't much evidence for this as the sample is small, but UB became very good at their level with NY guys and I don't think they got the cream of the crop.
Acc has different caliber athletes. Dino dominated the MAC too. I would use Lieipolds model of developing players but keep in mind he developed players to compete against the MAC. Leipold didnt win with all NYS kids so I do not think UB's NYS players will be the difference in SU winning in the ACC. SU's best teams had key players from multiple states.

Agree with most of that but the amount of NY kids we have on the roster is pathetic. IMO it shows that our staff doesn't have relationships with NY HSs. That cannot happen. Not sure what our recruiting strategy is. How do you have so few from your home state and none from talent rich Ohio?
The amount of quality players on the roster is low because there isn’t a lot of quality players in the state. I don’t know why the staff don’t recruit Ohio more. Head scratcher for sure.

Most of those BC kids went to CBA, a Catholic school then to BC a Catholic college who obviously have a successful connection and history together.
Weren't there kids from like Homer and Carthage that ended up there too?

I'm surprised Indian River and Whitesboro don't produce more

The amount of quality players on the roster is low because there isn’t a lot of quality players in the state. I don’t know why the staff don’t recruit Ohio more. Head scratcher for sure.
Has NY HS football really taken a turn for the worse since Dino came here? Look at how many scholarship NY kids we had his 1st year vs this year. It is even worse if you go back to Marrone. How do we have 4 scholarship NY state kids with one of them being Coley? And we only have one currently in our next class.

Dino’s recruiting isn’t good, regardless of the region it comes from. That’s the takeaway.

Acc has different caliber athletes. Dino dominated the MAC too. I would use Lieipolds model of developing players but keep in mind he developed players to compete against the MAC. Leipold didnt win with all NYS kids so I do not think UB's NYS players will be the difference in SU winning in the ACC. SU's best teams had key players from multiple states.
There are no athletes of that caliber in all the city schools in upstate NY?

There are no athletes of that caliber in all the city schools in upstate NY?
Some schools have good enough athletes. There’s just not a lot. If there was then P5 schools would be offering kids left and right and there would be more ranked kids in the state. Do you think college coaches and recruiting analysts who ranked these are wrong?