Good for Tyler Ennis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good for Tyler Ennis

Those aren't mutually exclusive.

Face value they aren't. But intent of the post seemed like they are.

Thin year for talent at point guard.

That says it all.

So he is done developing since he is leaving?

No, but there's places where under developed guards tend to go after college...

Europe or the D League.

Face value they aren't. But intent of the post seemed like they are.

Maybe he didn't word it as kindly as he could have. No need to air Donte's private life on here, but I think it's safe to say that he made made a rash gamble that a mature adult with his best interest at heart would have advised him not to make.

The intent wasn't to "sell his future," but that is how it worked out.

I watched Knicks/Kings and Pacers/Heat last night. Point Guards included were:

Raymond Felton
Norris Cole
Mario Chalmers
Ray McCallum
Pablo Prigioni
George Hill
Donald Sloan

Tyler Ennis is better than anyone on that list.

It takes a huge dose of arrogance for a freshman college guard to think he's already better than grown men playing the point in the NBA. But maybe that's what led him to make the decision to go in the first place.

No, but there's places where under developed guards tend to go after college...

Europe or the D League.

Are you kidding me? You are saying that unless he goes to Europe or the d league, he will not pan out. That is silly. Also, the d league is an option for playing time if he needs more development without taking a roster slot.

Can't find any fault in him leaving. I think the chances of his stock falling in the coming years is greater than his stock rising. Our early success helped him a ton and without it he probably wouldn't even be mentioned as a top 20 pick. I don't see him drastically improving any part of his game with another year in college to the point he becomes a lock for top 10 or anything. Take the $...you're lying if you say you wouldn't.

Depends on the player and the circumstances.

Fab Melo: smart to take the money and run (or lumber) away.
Donte Greene: had the tools to really be an NBA player with 3-4 years of hard work in college. He sold his future for some upfront cash.

I truly dislike posts like this. This is complete conjecture based on one's opinion.

My opinion. Had DG returned, he may have never improved and the NBA would have passed on him in future drafts. Additionally, he most likely would have been academically suspended just like Fab.

Too me, it's rare for a player to improve their draft position and length of their NBA career by staying. Very rare. Has it helped CJ out by staying? Not really, if anything, he's a sure fire 2nd rounder versus last year being a on-the-fence 1st to 2nd rounder. Players either have it or they don't as far as the NBA goes. At least if you know your getting drafted in the 1st round you have 3 years of guaranteed $$$ to figure it out.

Are you kidding me? You are saying that unless he goes to Europe or the d league, he will not pan out. That is silly. Also, the d league is an option for playing time if he needs more development without taking a roster slot.
I'm just saying I don't see Tyler panning out like MCW did. Tyler is small, he's not a great defender, he's not a ball hawk and I don't know ...he just doesn't seem like an NBA guard yet.

I'm just saying I don't see Tyler panning out like MCW did. Tyler is small, he's not a great defender, he's not a ball hawk and I don't know ...he just doesn't seem like an NBA guard yet.

So his skills will improve his draft stock if he stayed? Maybe not....

Who is a better ball handler in this year's class. Basically, no teams pressed us because Tyler was so steady with the rock.

If a pg like earl Watson can stay in the league for 10+ years I think Ennis will be just fine. Ennis does not seem to have any behavior issues and is a hard worker, he will continue to get better, I think this was the right decision for him. Also I agree with Longislandcuse chalmers and cole are not that good of pg's and truthfully if Ennis didn't have the mindset that he can be better than those two he should immediately go to play in China.

Who is a better ball handler in this year's class. Basically, no teams pressed us because Tyler was so steady with the rock.

NBA guards, for instance Dion, would run Ennis up and down the court.

It takes a huge dose of arrogance for a freshman college guard to think he's already better than grown men playing the point in the NBA. But maybe that's what led him to make the decision to go in the first place.

Not sure how fair it is to assume that "arrogance" had anything to do with this.

If anything, Ennis seemed like one of the least arrogant players to pass through here in a long time.

He is being consistently advised, and projected, by people who evaluate this stuff for a living that he will be a high draft pick. Is it arrogant to put your faith in those opinions? Isn't it possible that he is just being smart to take advantage of this opportunity?

Not sure how fair it is to assume that "arrogance" had anything to do with this.

If anything, Ennis seemed like one of the least arrogant players to pass through here in a long time.

He is being consistently advised, and projected, by people who evaluate this stuff for a living that he will be a high draft pick. Is it arrogant to put your faith in those opinions? Isn't it possible that he is just being smart to take advantage of this opportunity?

Based on Ennis' very short body of work, maybe arrogance is the right way to describe it. His in game demeanor may have nothing to do with his mindset off the court. As for faith in the experts, there's no guarantees in the draft, it really only takes one team who you thought would draft you skipping you for your position to fall and fall and fall. See John Wallace.

Based on Ennis' very short body of work, maybe arrogance is the right way to describe it. His in game demeanor may have nothing to do with his mindset off the court. As for faith in the experts, there's no guarantees in the draft, it really only takes one team who you thought would draft you skipping you for your position to fall and fall and fall. See John Wallace.

Good points, and I would agree with all of that from the 2nd sentence on. My issue was solely with the presumption of arrogance. But, admittedly, I can only base my assumption of his lack of arrogance on his demeanor, the way he presented himself in interviews, and how the staff and players talked about him.

I truly dislike posts like this. This is complete conjecture based on one's opinion.

My opinion. Had DG returned, he may have never improved and the NBA would have passed on him in future drafts. Additionally, he most likely would have been academically suspended just like Fab.

Too me, it's rare for a player to improve their draft position and length of their NBA career by staying. Very rare. Has it helped CJ out by staying? Not really, if anything, he's a sure fire 2nd rounder versus last year being a on-the-fence 1st to 2nd rounder. Players either have it or they don't as far as the NBA goes. At least if you know your getting drafted in the 1st round you have 3 years of guaranteed $$$ to figure it out.
I was going to post something very similar. We just can't know how well a guy will do as a pro if they play more college ball. We do know that if a team picks a guy in the first round that he gets a guaranteed professional paycheck.

A subway card.
Me too, actually, and I don't even want to think about what it says about my life that I don't even like Subway.

I don't get the people who hate on the NBA. Watching Syracuse play became a chore over the last two months, and the remainder is just garbage,

But hey, passion for the game, name on the front of the jersey, blah blah...

docsu said:
I don't get the people who hate on the NBA. Watching Syracuse play became a chore over the last two months, and the remainder is just garbage, But hey, passion for the game, name on the front of the jersey, blah blah...

I haven't watched more than 10 minutes of an NBA game in years.

But I'm excited that the Knicks still have a shot at the playoffs with a sub .500 record.

Yeah, right.

Meaningless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom