Good night B1G... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Good night B1G...

ND being CFP competitive is good for all of college football cuz it jacks up the ratings which is the basis for the price of the next TV contract. This topic has been discussed here ad nauseam. The effect on SU either way is so marginal that it's not worth the fuss.
This is so macro it’s not even the point.
CFB playoffs will get a huge contract no matter if ND makes it or Syracuse makes it.
College football is the second most popular sport in the country.
If the playoff rights go up for bid they will get a huge contract for either Fox, CBS, Turner if they left ESPN.

This is so macro it’s not even the point.
CFB playoffs will get a huge contract no matter if ND makes it or Syracuse makes it.
College football is the second most popular sport in the country.
If the playoff rights go up for bid they will get a huge contract for either Fox, CBS, Turner if they left ESPN.

Of course. My point is the effect on SU either way is de minimis yet somehow some SU fans work themselves into a lather over it. That said, the TV ratings will be higher if ND is involved.

Quick check of their first string offense and defense showed the following states represented: FL, ILL (2), CA (2), TX, NJ (2), MI, SC, NC (2), IN, PA (2), NC (2), MD, TN, OH, NV, NY , LA and British Columbia. Eighteen different states or Canadian territories. I'd hazard a guess that no other team comes anywhere near that geographic diversity.
Michigan.
They have a ton of players not from Michigan.

Of course. My point is the effect on SU either way is de minimis yet somehow some SU fans work themselves into a lather over it. That said, the TV ratings will be higher if ND is involved.
Syracuse and the ACC schools get money if an ACC team is in the playoffs.
They don’t get any extra money if Notre Dame makes it.

Thus an ACC school over ND in the CFB playoffs is better for Syracuse.

Quick check of their first string offense and defense showed the following states represented: FL, ILL (2), CA (2), TX, NJ (2), MI, SC, NC (2), IN, PA (2), NC (2), MD, TN, OH, NV, NY , LA and British Columbia. Eighteen different states or Canadian territories. I'd hazard a guess that no other team comes anywhere near that geographic diversity.

Yep. I seem to recall it is 27 states plus British Columbia for the entire 85 man roster.

Syracuse and the ACC schools get money if an ACC team is in the playoffs.
They don’t get any extra money if Notre Dame makes it.

Thus an ACC school over ND in the CFB playoffs is better for Syracuse.

If i'm not mistaken it's to the tune of $400K. Not sure that's making or breaking our football program. No reason Clemson and ND can't both get in.

Michigan.
They have a ton of players not from Michigan.

Not sure what your point is - are you saying they don't draw from all over the country?

Btw two of their best pass rushers are from MI- Daelin Hayes and Khalid Kareem.

You should check our roster.

Off the top of my head: NY, FL, OH, MI, NC, GA, CA, MD, NJ, PA, OR, CONN, DC, ILL, VA, WISC, Hawaii, and 3 from Canada (maybe more?) I mean - our best player is from Oregon. Our PR is from California, and our starting center is from Wisconsin.

If i'm not mistaken it's to the tune of $400K. Not sure that's making or breaking our football program. No reason Clemson and ND can't both get in.
Unless you are an ND fan I will take 400k over nothing.

Especially with how penny pinching our BOT can be towards athletics.

I am rooting for Wiscy to get in over ND. If ND goes 11-1 and doesn't get in b/c they don't play a conference championship game, they will finally be forced to join the ACC full time.

You should check our roster.

Off the top of my head: NY, FL, OH, MI, NC, GA, CA, MD, NJ, PA, OR, CONN, DC, ILL, VA, WISC, Hawaii, and 3 from Canada (maybe more?) I mean - our best player is from Oregon. Our PR is from California, and our starting center is from Wisconsin.

They all start? The 18 states I showed you were only the starters. Most solid D-1 teams do recruit nationally but it's a matter of degree.

Unless you are an ND fan I will take 400k over nothing.

Especially with how penny pinching our BOT can be towards athletics.

That was kind of my unspoken point. I don't worry about SU and its finances.

They all start? The 18 states I showed you were only the starters. Most solid D-1 teams do recruit nationally but it's a matter of degree.

Yeah, that was my point. Every D1 school recruits nationally - especially those in less talented parts of the country. Of course ND recruits better than Syracuse. They've had sustained success and have a deeper, more rich history. But the idea that they need to remain independent to recruit nationally isn't remotely true. Its rooted in a pre-internet, 3 main national channels mindset. Plus, they could join the ACC (add 1 conference game, lose 1 "OOC") and still play in CA, MI, etc.

Alright just for fun, starters or players who play significant plays: OR, CA, TX, PA, FL, WI, DC, NJ, GA, NC, MI, IN, IL, MASS, CONN, MD. Ironically NY isn't one of them. But that's 16.

Yeah, that was my point. Every D1 school recruits nationally - especially those in less talented parts of the country. Of course ND recruits better than Syracuse. They've had sustained success and have a deeper, more rich history. But the idea that they need to remain independent to recruit nationally isn't remotely true. Its rooted in a pre-internet, 3 main national channels mindset. Plus, they could join the ACC (add 1 conference game, lose 1 "OOC") and still play in CA, MI, etc.

Alright just for fun, starters or players who play significant plays: OR, CA, TX, PA, FL, WI, DC, NJ, GA, NC, MI, IN, IL, MASS, CONN, MD. Ironically NY isn't one of them. But that's 16.

I don't know the exact rationale for why ND seeks to remain independent in football but I do know that if SU had that luxury they would do the same thing. Just like every other program in the country. Given the way they've been rolling over ACC teams this year I'm not sure why we're in a hurry to see them join the league.

I don't know the exact rationale for why ND seeks to remain independent in football but I do know that if SU had that luxury they would do the same thing. Just like every other program in the country. Given the way they've been rolling over ACC teams this year I'm not sure why we're in a hurry to see them join the league.
Being independent makes the regular season pointless if you can’t win a NC.
Conference titles have prestige.
If you lose 2 games the season becomes a couple of rivalry games and nothing else.
Conference schedules give teams other goals.

Syracuse Lacrosse gave up independence for the benefit of the Big East lax schools including Notre Dame.

Notre Dame fans want independence football purely out of tradition. They aren’t what they used to be. They have a 5 game conference schedule.

They can spin whatever they want about ACC patches or logos but the ACC controls 5 games on their schedule each year.

I’ve had enough discussions with ND ppl that it’s really important to stay independent even if it means not having the same chances at national titles or if it meant more money.

The arguments put forth are old, lacking in logic, or show a lack of competitive fire. A lot of it just nostalgia.

The one that makes the *most* sense is that they like their own TV deal. I can understand that somewhat. But if it meant risking titles, I’d be done with that in a hurry.

What strikes me is that it is always non-ND fans or ND haters who bring up football conference membership as being "better" for ND, as if they have ND best interests at heart.

That ain't the case at all. They are not concerned with what would be better for ND, but for the school they root for.

What strikes me is that it is always non-ND fans or ND haters who bring up football conference membership as being "better" for ND, as if they have ND best interests at heart.

That ain't the case at all. They are not concerned with what would be better for ND, but for the school they root for.

Well, its gonna come down to OSU,PSU, or Michigan looking to take down wisky in the b10 championship game. All 3 of those teams will most likely beat Whisky = Zero B10 presence in the tourney!;)

And then...the committee satisfies that middle America, Big 10 country need for a team in the playoff .

I can tell you I don’t want Notre Dame in the ACC because of ND fans like my Uncle and cousins and you who are have the mindset they have.

Honestly I wish the Notre Dame discussion would go away because it would stop the need for posters like you to post on it.

Say whatever you want Notre Dame football is quasi independent.
They don’t play for a conference football title but they aren’t in control of scheduling 12 games anymore.

Army is an Independent football schedule. Notre Dame is a quasi independent football school.

I can tell you I don’t want Notre Dame in the ACC because of ND fans like my Uncle and cousins and you who are have the mindset they have.

Honestly I wish the Notre Dame discussion would go away because it would stop the need for posters like you to post on it.

Say whatever you want Notre Dame football is quasi independent.
They don’t play for a conference football title but they aren’t in control of scheduling 12 games anymore.

Army is an Independent football schedule. Notre Dame is a quasi independent football school.
Technically, Army is obligated to play Navy and Air Force, no? Quasi-independent. ;)

When ND played 3 Big Ten teams per year, its football program was not a "quasi Big Ten member", either.

In the league for all sports but football and playing 5 football games against league members, or in the league for no sports and playing 3 football games against league members. It’s like looking in a quasi mirror.

11-1 and no playoff sits well with you because you were 4-8 last year?

Something tells me that when those semi finals kick off and then a week later the finals, there aren’t going to be as many ND fans as you think celebrating independence. NBC notwithstanding, it’s not what it once was.

(That said, it seems impossible that they’d be left out so you’ll get your cake and eat it too if you beat Miami.).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom