Good night B1G... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Good night B1G...

I have been so done with this topic for a while now.

Agreed. ND will remain independent for football for the foreseeable future. I, actually, am happy with the current arrangement.

Cheers,
Neil

Being independent makes the regular season pointless if you can’t win a NC.
Conference titles have prestige.
If you lose 2 games the season becomes a couple of rivalry games and nothing else.
Conference schedules give teams other goals.

Syracuse Lacrosse gave up independence for the benefit of the Big East lax schools including Notre Dame.

Notre Dame fans want independence football purely out of tradition. They aren’t what they used to be. They have a 5 game conference schedule.

They can spin whatever they want about ACC patches or logos but the ACC controls 5 games on their schedule each year.

That's all great. ND runs the table then they're in. If they lose a second game then it's highly likely that they're out - just like every other two loss team in the country.

I’ve had enough discussions with ND ppl that it’s really important to stay independent even if it means not having the same chances at national titles or if it meant more money.

The arguments put forth are old, lacking in logic, or show a lack of competitive fire. A lot of it just nostalgia.

The one that makes the *most* sense is that they like their own TV deal. I can understand that somewhat. But if it meant risking titles, I’d be done with that in a hurry.

I think maybe they need to see evidence that being independent has cost them a shot at an NC. So far that has not yet happened and I'm fairly confident that if they finish 11-1 it ain't gonna happen this year either - which will only embolden them to stay independent. And btw if they should choose to join a conference I think it makes a helluva lot more sense for them to join the B1G than the ACC.

That's all great. ND runs the table then they're in. If they lose a second game then it's highly likely that they're out - just like every other two loss team in the country.
Thanks for ignoring the point to say the obvious.

Thanks for ignoring the point to say the obvious.

What was the point that I ignored? I clearly laid out for you that ND is going to make the CFP if they go 11-1, making your point about conference titles irrelevant.

What was the point that I ignored? I clearly laid out for you that ND is going to make the CFP if they go 11-1, making your point about conference titles irrelevant.
We can’t ignore the huge development that the committee put SIX Big Ten teams in last night. SIX! They are setting it up that if wisky goes undefeated their resume will look a lot stronger than current. That could easily leave an 11-1 UND out. Easily.

Bama, Georgia, clemson, Wisconsin.

They have played no one, beat Iowa, Mich, and Osu in the Big ten title game and we can talk.
According to the committee last night, if they win those it won’t be time to talk, they’ll be in.

They have played no one, beat Iowa, Mich, and Osu in the Big ten title game and we can talk.

dont-be-hatin-im-just-the-messenger-thumb.jpg

If Alabama/Georgia, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma win out Wisconsin is out even if they are 13-0.

Those teams are all better and have better resumes.

We can’t ignore the huge development that the committee put SIX Big Ten teams in last night. SIX! They are setting it up that if wisky goes undefeated their resume will look a lot stronger than current. That could easily leave an 11-1 UND out. Easily.

Bama, Georgia, clemson, Wisconsin.

Have you listened to the Chairman of the Committee? He's thrown plenty of shade at Wisconsin's schedule. Just because they will have beaten a few more three loss teams, somehow that's supposed to be impressive? ND went into East Lansing and stomped on MSU. The B1G just doesn't have it this year. Wisconsin has been in 4th quarter battles with teams that wouldn't even fall in the top 50. If they make the CFP then it's a complete clown show.

What strikes me is that it is always non-ND fans or ND haters who bring up football conference membership as being "better" for ND, as if they have ND best interests at heart.

That ain't the case at all. They are not concerned with what would be better for ND, but for the school they root for.

Not true here, man. It’s probably worse for us. Conference is tough as it is.

I just don’t buy the logic. It’s nostalgia based voodoo and that’s about it.

I think that’s a bit too much confidence in 11-1 being enough.

I think maybe they need to see evidence that being independent has cost them a shot at an NC. So far that has not yet happened and I'm fairly confident that if they finish 11-1 it ain't gonna happen this year either - which will only embolden them to stay independent. And btw if they should choose to join a conference I think it makes a helluva lot more sense for them to join the B1G than the ACC.

It does make more sense geographically - but ND folks hate that idea even more.

If Alabama/Georgia, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma win out Wisconsin is out even if they are 13-0.

Those teams are all better and have better resumes.

I would add Miami to that list.

Not true here, man. It’s probably worse for us. Conference is tough as it is.

I just don’t buy the logic. It’s nostalgia based voodoo and that’s about it.

It's also based on $$$.

I think that’s a bit too much confidence in 11-1 being enough.

I think people put wayyy too much stock in winning the conference. I believe the committee when they say their focus is on choosing the four best teams in the country. Who you beat matters.

I think people put wayyy too much stock in winning the conference. I believe the committee when they say their focus is on choosing the four best teams in the country. Who you beat matters.

Yep - who you beat and who you play. ND is lucky the teams on it's schedule are pretty good this season. But I stand by my take that they will hurt by a lack of championship game. It's not winning your conference that is the defining thing - it's the one extra game vs a top 25 team, almost guaranteed at the end of the season. ND *could* schedule against this by dropping it's weak FCS team or FBS team. But it doesn't.

We'll see if it hurts them - if they win out.

Barring the record, Michigan is not a good team. This is an instance in which numbers lie and do not tell the story. They've managed to win games, but they are not competent team.

The committee by-law says #1 point of emphasis is conference title game champion. Number one. That’s why people are putting stock in it.

Yep - who you beat and who you play. ND is lucky the teams on it's schedule are pretty good this season. But I stand by my take that they will hurt by a lack of championship game. It's not winning your conference that is the defining thing - it's the one extra game vs a top 25 team, almost guaranteed at the end of the season. ND *could* schedule against this by dropping it's weak FCS team or FBS team. But it doesn't.

ND has never played an FCS team, ever.

Is the "13th data point" that important if the conference champ played an FCS team as part of its thirteen games??

Some logic to what you say but it's trumped by the fact that they would have (at 11-1) piled up more top 15 wins than anybody else out there. Their full body of work would still be solidly better than the competition despite not playing that extra game. And they didn't just win those games, they crushed their opponents. Remember what the committee said last year - "game control". Did you dominate your opponent?

Btw ND plays a high quality schedule just about every year so I don't think luck has much to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom