good riddance to this stupid league | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

good riddance to this stupid league

This thread is a disgrace, IMO.
I hate losing as much as the next SU fan, but to suddenly act as though the BE has done us a disservice over the years is the epitome of chutzpa. The BE rep has ALWAYS been physical, brutal, in-your-shorts play. Often we've been the team to deliver that kinda play to most other teams.
We've always had issues with physical teams, period. But last I checked, Butler doesn't play in the BE, yet we bitched & moaned when they played us just as physical.
Can we put our big-boy pants on and at least fake that we're worthy of our stature in college bball?
We always cry about being dissed, and then proceed to whine in this thread about the "big bad bullies of the BE", the same bullies we've seen for over 30 years. Yet somehow, we hold the record for most wins in the OBE...go figure.
If you wanna cry in your beer about JB and his penchant for coming up short in big games, then join the club- its a valid complaint.
But let's not embarrass ourselves any more than we have to by posting a nonsense, bitch-fest thread like this one. The BE has been "berry berry good to us" lets not crap all over it, with out tails between our legs, as we walk out. Oh Lord

I'm not as optimistic that this is just a Big East problem. We've seen horrendous officiating all over the place (Charlotte/Richmond the most recent example). The exact same thing happened to us 2 of the last 3 years in the tournament with non-Big East refs: OSU last year and Butler in 2010 (with the infamous Matt Howard suplex no call). The NCAA needs to get a handle on this and stop letting a crucial part of the game be ruined by independent contractors with almost no oversight or accountability.

I'm not as optimistic that this is just a Big East problem. We've seen horrendous officiating all over the place (Charlotte/Richmond the most recent example). The exact same thing happened to us 2 of the last 3 years in the tournament with non-Big East refs: OSU last year and Butler in 2010 (with the infamous Matt Howard suplex no call). The NCAA needs to get a handle on this and stop letting a crucial part of the game be ruined by independent contractors with almost no oversight or accountability.
Exactly.
And that's a valid point, but it's not what this thread is emphasizing.
Sometimes the truth is staring you right in your face if you're willing to look at it.
I'm a JB fan, big-time, but at some point it becomes ridiculous to argue that his record in "big" games couldn't be better.
You wanna say he "chokes", fine. But that has little or nothing to do with what has transpired within the OBE these last 30 years.
Again, I understand the emotion & frustration, but this thread is a little surprising...I like to think our fanbase is more knowledgeable and "better" than this. JMHO

what a bunch of hooey -
this is the same team that couldnt score a week ago-

when refs call a foul with 3 seconds that determines a game-thats a bad thing

what happened last night was nothing more than a ole fashioned ass whoopin on a team that just isnt that good when pressured-

team quit -its that simple

People who think well get more impartial reffing in the ACC are delusional.

People who think well get more impartial reffing in the ACC are delusional.

More impartial, no. I think you have more teams that play basketball though, and don't rely upon physical play and fouling as 80% of their defensive strategy. The hope being that a team like UL or Pitt will start getting those fouls called, because odds are they're not going to allow them to play defensive with their hands Duke, UNC, etc...and hopefully they'll be forced to adjust rather than what's transpired over the years in the BE where the style of play just gets more and more physical. Who knows.

It's an issue when a coach admits that his philosophy is to foul a lot because he knows the officials won't call it.

Ill take b*tching over calls Tobacco Road gets over every game being officiated like UFC.

You'll sing a different tune after our first trip to Cameron, Dean Dome, or Greensboro but if it makes you feel better to think the grass is greener have at it.

More impartial, no. I think you have more teams that play basketball though, and don't rely upon physical play and fouling as 80% of their defensive strategy. The hope being that a team like UL or Pitt will start getting those fouls called, because odds are they're not going to allow them to play defensive with their hands Duke, UNC, etc...and hopefully they'll be forced to adjust rather than what's transpired over the years in the BE where the style of play just gets more and more physical. Who knows.

It's an issue when a coach admits that his philosophy is to foul a lot because he knows the officials won't call it.

All that means is well have a different reason to complain.

I think the ESPN boxscore said 21-21.

The refs were bad, but c'mon, a 44-10 run? That's way more than officiating.

These are kids, & they have a fragile psyche. When you are being unfairly treated, it's very easy to get frustrated & allow things to get out of hand. So, absolutely, bad officiating can turn into utter ugliness, making it seem like the losing team is the guilty party.

Bottom line, Louisville is an illegitimate winner, & no matter how many people praise their coach & their program, they know deep down they got away with this garbage for many years, & it will come back to bite them. You cannot escape karma...

You'll sing a different tune after our first trip to Cameron, Dean Dome, or Greensboro but if it makes you feel better to think the grass is greener have at it.
I'm sure we will see a few games where a call or two changes the outcome, but when the entire game is a bloodbath, & we have no real officiating, you know you're in the Big East...

These are kids, & they have a fragile psyche. When you are being unfairly treated, it's very easy to get frustrated & allow things to get out of hand. So, absolutely, bad officiating can turn into utter ugliness, making it seem like the losing team is the guilty party.
Solid observation, Mantonio.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nothing personal against anyone, but this thread is one big whiny and embarrassing wahhhmbulence-fest 2K13.

Total fouls were 21-21 on each side. We lost because (a) Pitino out-strategized Boeheim, (b) Louisville dictated the tempo of the game, they sped us up and we were helpless, (c) Louisville plays relentless defense, (d) they out-fought us for every loose ball, (e) they made free throws.

Just because we built a healthy lead doesn't mean we were entitled to win the game. Oklahoma State was up 17 on us in 2003, and the better team won.

All things considered, we left the BET in FAR better shape than when we arrived. I'm proud of our guys. Can't wait for the tourney.

Louisville will do just as well in the ACC. Maybe better. When we first came into this conference we watched Dave Padgett get tossed around like a frigging rag doll. Quit your pissing and moaning. It is beneath you.

Louisville fans are some of the most arrogant, nasty people. Maybe it comes from being Kentucky's Bitty in that state, but don't take it out on everyone else.

I seriously can't deal with them. I tried to show respect to the program, & then asked them to give CUSE their due respect, but you won't get it from a majority of the cardinal faithful. According to them, the Cards are royalty, & Syracuse is a joke.

Even though SYRACUSE is ranked in the top 5 in all time wins, & Louisville is not, that doesn't seem to matter. We spanked them in football this season, when they were supposedly a top 5 team, but even that wasn't enough.

Mark my words, it will be the toothless Louisville faithful who will be pissing & moaning when Ricky's teams can't get away with their muggings anymore. Someday very soon, Ricky will realize he can't win there in his old thug style, & will have to go somewhere else...

Nothing personal against anyone, but this thread is one big whiny and embarrassing wahhhmbulence-fest 2K13.

Total fouls were 21-21 on each side. We lost because (a) Pitino out-strategized Boeheim, (b) Louisville dictated the tempo of the game, they sped us up and we were helpless, (c) Louisville plays relentless defense, (d) they out-fought us for every loose ball, (e) they made free throws.

Just because we built a healthy lead doesn't mean we were entitled to win the game. Oklahoma State was up 17 on us in 2003, and the better team won.

All things considered, we left the BET in FAR better shape than when we arrived. I'm proud of our guys. Can't wait for the tourney.

You were watching some other game...

Louisville should not be entitled to foul on every possession just because they were down by 16 points.

They didn't just out-fight us, they out-cheated us. You can't grab, slap, hipcheck, & shove your opponent without paying for it with a loss, but Louisville & the other thugs in this crap league get away with it.

I know the rules of the game, & it's an insult to anyone who has to endure that cheatfest, to tell us it's all in our heads.

Some strategy: start fouling all the time, & the refs will not know what to do. Ricky is no genius, he is the recipient of the most lax officiating in world history.

I think the ESPN boxscore said 21-21.

The refs were bad, but c'mon, a 44-10 run? That's way more than officiating.

When L'ville took the lead 49-48 the free throw attempts were 26-9 in Louisvilles favor. During the 5 1/2 min 20-3 run that got them from 45-29 down to 49-48 up Lville got 9 of those points from the line in 11 attempts. Cuse shot 4 free throws during that run.

the refs aren't stupid. they started blowing whistles after it was all over to fool people like you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

the refs aren't stupid. they started blowing whistles after it was all over to fool people like you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gotcha - that makes sense.

I hope the people who think a thirty three point swing is due solely to the refs "letting em play" are the same ones who thought Bill Self and Izzo were valid candidates to replace Boeheim.

I'd be depressed if we had that many idiots in our fan base.

I hope the people who think a thirty three point swing is due solely to the refs "letting em play" are the same ones who thought Bill Self and Izzo were valid candidates to replace Boeheim.

It was worse than that.

The refs only let Louisville play. Syracuse was held to higher standard.

When one team is allowed to tug and hold and other gets nickel dimmed to death, it's an unfair as it gets! This game reminded me of OSU last year.

Credit to the Ville - they play by big east rules. That, and SU finally lost its composure I.E. after the flagrant foul. I'm excited to see how the team fairs in the tourney.

I think it's understandable the game was frustrating. Not the end of the world. The BE, as it was, is now a footnote in history. F' that conference. And the 7+2 can have the whole lot :wink:

ABC - Always Be Closing...

I wish I lived in Mantonioland where Syracuse has been undefeated for 25 years running. I imagine its similar to Yankee fandom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom