Good win but nothing is learned from it... | Syracusefan.com

Good win but nothing is learned from it...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Don't get me wrong - the team played well. The defense dominated, and the offense and WRs showed something, but there isn't much difference between this game and the curb-stomping of Wagner last year.

Comparison.png

Yes, this was game one, and that was game five, and yes, the defense had more turnovers but gave up a few more yards. Overall, though, this was a typical beatdown against a cupcake. I know quite a few of us are excited about scoring 65 points, etc., but this game just really doesn't tell us much of anything.

Yes - the depth looks better. Other than that, I'm not sure you can suss out anything more. I'm not sure Western Michigan will help with that either (except to our detriment if the team underperforms). I'd rather have a win than a loss. I'm glad the team doesn't seem to have any major injuries, and I'm happy to watch 'Cuse football again. Other than that, I don't think we'll know much until they play Purdue.

And I know some of you will say, "No one's saying this means anything!" but the board is littered today with posts trying to extrapolate meaning to this game. I just don't think there is much. Maybe I'm a nihilist, though.

The team did what everyone hopes. They beat a team convincingly that everyone expects. There have been times in the recent past we could not make that statement. Unfortunately over the last 20 yours I remember a few.
The team appears to have played a very vanilla offense and dominated. The D was really good even with the third and fourth teamers.
The difficulty it seems is that people will not give the team credit unless they beat North Carolina or Florida St. If Purdue looses to V Tech and we then beat them people will say they are no good. If we loose than we will hear we are no good. Same goes for Clemson with their lose to Duke or many other ACC teams. If we win then the conference is down. If we loose some old SU.
I’ll take any win for SU and am once again excited to see them play.

The team did what everyone hopes. They beat a team convincingly that everyone expects. There have been times in the recent past we could not make that statement. Unfortunately over the last 20 yours I remember a few.
The team appears to have played a very vanilla offense and dominated. The D was really good even with the third and fourth teamers.
The difficulty it seems is that people will not give the team credit unless they beat North Carolina or Florida St. If Purdue looses to V Tech and we then beat them people will say they are no good. If we loose than we will hear we are no good. Same goes for Clemson with their lose to Duke or many other ACC teams. If we win then the conference is down. If we loose some old SU.
I’ll take any win for SU and am once again excited to see them play.
I'm happy any time they win. I don't think it's possible to extrapolate anything from a game against a team that is as bad as Colgate (or Wagner). I'm excited to see where they go and how they play. I don't think anyone can honestly say they know more about this team now than they did last week.

I'm happy any time they win. I don't think it's possible to extrapolate anything from a game against a team that is as bad as Colgate (or Wagner). I'm excited to see where they go and how they play. I don't think anyone can honestly say they know more about this team now than they did last week.
The coaches are going to review film and discuss things with the team this week. If they can learn things from it, then so can we.

Don't get me wrong - the team played well. The defense dominated, and the offense and WRs showed something, but there isn't much difference between this game and the curb-stomping of Wagner last year.

View attachment 230883

Yes, this was game one, and that was game five, and yes, the defense had more turnovers but gave up a few more yards. Overall, though, this was a typical beatdown against a cupcake. I know quite a few of us are excited about scoring 65 points, etc., but this game just really doesn't tell us much of anything.

Yes - the depth looks better. Other than that, I'm not sure you can suss out anything more. I'm not sure Western Michigan will help with that either (except to our detriment if the team underperforms). I'd rather have a win than a loss. I'm glad the team doesn't seem to have any major injuries, and I'm happy to watch 'Cuse football again. Other than that, I don't think we'll know much until they play Purdue.

And I know some of you will say, "No one's saying this means anything!" but the board is littered today with posts trying to extrapolate meaning to this game. I just don't think there is much. Maybe I'm a nihilist, though.
The fact that this was game one is important. They had a rough first possession and then didn’t stop until the 4thq. They played with purpose and didn’t just try to get out with no injuries. The snap counts for Brown, Villari, Bradford, Jobbity showed they were trying to see how those guys did with a full work load. They played in a lot of different looks and formations.

The fact that there was no drop off when the twos were out there was significant.

View attachment 230883

I mean this with no trace of sarcasm, but you listed out several things that we did in fact learn from Saturday's game.

No argument that they weren't capable of matching up. I also don't put much stock in the gaudy statistics we amassed, on either side of the ball.

But this is a team / roster that a lot of posters have pointed to as having quality depth, and that was evident. We also saw the maturation of the WR unit, beyond being one player and a bunch of guys. And we saw that all three positional units on defense are loaded with talent. We saw players on the two-deep [and even the THREE-deep in some cases] making plays and showing that they are viable candidates for PT and to be contributors.

So, it looks like the team is positioned well for good year, and has the depth at most positional units to not have the entire group sink if a player or two gets injured.

Happy with the win. Good to have the opportunity to see so many 2nd team and 3rd team players -- examples, Gill at WR, Joe Cruz and Mark Petry at OTs.

Of course, many good plays in that game just don't happen against ACC opponents. Two examples - Isaiah Jones with a long TD reception, no one within 20 yards; and the Jones TD on a broken play with a short flip over a defender unable to jump. A lot to discount.

We learned where Thompson and Lockett stand in their recovery from last year's injuries. We learned that Rocky Long wants to go bigger in at least some DL combinations than what we saw last season.

Bradford looked like he belonged in the first unit - perhaps Ilaoa has work to do to get opportunities.

Hatcher, Brown and Gill -- even though it was Colgate, you can see these 3 will make plays.

So sure, like a basketball exhibition there is a lot to discount in that opener, but also a lot of chances to observe where individual players stand in their development.

I think you can discuss and learn a lot from anything in sports, scrimmages, practice etc. I have no idea how good the team is but there were certainly some nice things out there as well as some things to work on. This after all is exactly why this forum exists. To each their own. I know the OL still needs a lot of work, Shrader is rusty from a fairly inactive off season due to injury. D looks to have some depth and Long looks like he is going to throw a lot of looks at opposing offenses. We won't know a ton until we go on the road versus Purdue.

I see your point though, to each their own but very few if any are reading a ton into the first game, discussing what they saw and many with a positive outlook? sure but nothing wrong with that, we are fans after all and not paid to coach or win games but I can't sit here and say we have learned "NOTHING"

and I am far from a pom pom waver

Last edited:
I think you can discuss and learn a lot from anything in sports, scrimmages, practice etc. I have no idea how good the team is but there were certainly some nice things out there as well as some things to work on. This after all is exactly why this forum exists. To each their own. I know the OL still needs a lot of work, Shrader is rusty from a fairly inactive off season due to injury. D looks to have some depth and Long looks like he is going to throw a lot of looks at opposing offenses. We won't know a ton until we go on the road versus Purdue.

I see your point though, to each their own
Oline is the concern and will be until we see a good game vs a team that has any size on the Dline.

View attachment 230883

we were pretty darn good to start the season last year mainly until some injuries hit. We are deeper this year like you stated so hopefully injuries are kinder and hurt us less because of our depth. Knock on wood but after game 1 we are sitting in a much better spot than last year in that area.

I mean this with no trace of sarcasm, but you listed out several things that we did in fact learn from Saturday's game.

No argument that they weren't capable of matching up. I also don't put much stock in the gaudy statistics we amassed, on either side of the ball.

But this is a team / roster that a lot of posters have pointed to as having quality depth, and that was evident. We also saw the maturation of the WR unit, beyond being one player and a bunch of guys. And we saw that all three positional units on defense are loaded with talent. We saw players on the two-deep [and even the THREE-deep in some cases] making plays and showing that they are viable candidates for PT and to be contributors.

So, it looks like the team is positioned well for good year, and has the depth at most positional units to not have the entire group sink if a player or two gets injured.
Agreed. If we can just prevent a significant injury to Shrader, OG and Lequint I think we are poised for a solid year. And OL just needs to be serviceable. Shrader can shake one man busting through every so often but we can't have multiple players breaking through.

Last edited:

View attachment 230883

Why don't you do us a favor, and give us a list of all the times we have slammed cupcakes by 50+ points? Because it hasn't been that many times. Usually, we win these games 35-21 or something like that.

On one hand, you are correct. Colgate was the 2023 version of Wagner. Last year, the crushing of Wagner was fairly meaningless in terms of extrapolating that to the real teams we faced later in the season. What Saturday really meant is yet to be determined.

Still, crush Colgate we did. There are a few past versions of Dino's SU squads that would have won by, let's say, 34-17. Had we only won by that score, we would have learned a lot, and not much of it positive. So, our win was a good thing by comparison, and we could have really named our score had we wanted to.

Undoubtedly, the coaches learned more than we fans did and hopefully that will translate to something as well.

View attachment 230883

I couldn't agree more. And, good job by commencing your post in the manner in which you did, knowing darn well (being here as long as you have) that if you hadn't, you would've likely received even more push back, etc. ;):)

In my opinion, the Colgate game was nothing more than a scrimmage, exhibition type affair. Reminiscent of the hoops preseason Marathon Oil, etc. types.

Why don't you do us a favor, and give us a list of all the times we have slammed cupcakes by 50+ points? Because it hasn't been that many times. Usually, we win these games 35-21 or something like that.
Just look at the score of the last time we played Colgate in Dino’s first season.. not to mention look at how we played against FCS teams coming off of the last two bowl seasons: 2014 Villanova debacle and 2019 against Holy Cross when we couldn’t run the ball against an FCS team. Those SU teams both sucked, so we at least can confirm that this team surely does not

Just look at the score of the last time we played Colgate in Dino’s first season.. not to mention look at how we played against FCS teams coming off of the last two bowl seasons: 2014 Villanova debacle and 2019 against Holy Cross when we couldn’t run the ball against an FCS team. Those SU teams both sucked, so we at least can confirm that this team surely does not

Agree 100% with your last sentence.

Now, to the OP's point -- while we learned that the team is pretty good, Colgate didn't provide much of a measuring stick to assess HOW good. But we definitely saw a lot of positive signs.

Bank the wins but no definitive statements on the team until after Purdue for me. That said I will be surprised and disappointed if we don't win very easily Saturday.

View attachment 230883

That was a very good team that throttled Wagner. That came in what game 5? This time it's game one but I see the same similarities with the curb stomping of Colgate. This is a good team.

If this team avoids the injury bug we won't see the same collapse that we saw last year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom