Gopher fan analysis of Cuse. LOL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gopher fan analysis of Cuse. LOL

Injuries aside, other than Ennis and Fair, I don't see any guaranteed starters. It's quite possible that Grant plays the role of the super 6th-man, a la Waiters and Southerland in recent years. He's more versatile than Xmas and Coleman, and it's pretty reasonable to assume that one of those 2 will either struggle or be in foul trouble on many occasions, so he could spell either player.

I think as far as this years team we have a ton of talent and potential. That doesn't always translate into wins though. I have no idea how Ennis will translate but the pg position is a tough spot to come in and do well right away. My guess is there is some bumps and bruises along the way and hopefully the talented front court and defense can get us through those with wins.

I feel pretty confident that Ennis is going to be good enough. My big question is will we have reliable scoring from the 2G? If we don't have someone blow up at 2G, we are going to struggle again offensively this year.

Well to an outsider who watched Cuse at all, I would think that Grant would be a more likely starter than Coleman. Grant was in the rotation in the big games that mattered down the stretch, Coleman was not. And Christmas spent little time at PF in the big games, certainly less than Grant.

Well, once Coleman dropped out of the rotation, you had to play Rak and Keita as the alternating centers. If Coleman can play defense in the middle this year and makes a leap in terms of his low post offense, then Rak could see some time as the defense-first forward on the wing.

It's all up to Coleman. I think he and Gbinije are our two biggest question marks and therefore keys to the upcoming season.

(I take Ennis for granted that he will be solid, just like with MCW last year.)

Well, part of that was on Jason Hart. His whole circumstances around arriving at Syracuse may have hurt the chemistry, along with the beating we took in the opening game against Kentucky. Hart was the ultimate pound-it-into-the-ground PG.

I qualify this by acknowledging that Jason Hart is one of my favorite players in program history. I used to marvel at how hard this kid busted his a$$ every day when I was a regular practice attendee back when I still lived in Syracuse. Trust me, nobody worked harder. Big fan of this kid on and off the court--and I'm proud that he carved out a journeyman NBA career, and now is working his way up the college coaching ranks.

That said...

I don't think that Hart had an especially good handle / shot when he arrived at SU [relatively speaking]. He improved quite a bit over the course of his career, but I don't think he was "ready" skill-wise to be handed the keys as a frosh. My opinion only--not trying to bash him. He was an athletic greyhound and stud defender who improved steadily throughout his career, but was quite shaky at times as a freshman from a skillz perspective.

I believe that Ennis is cut from a different cloth. I have no idea whether he'll eventually play in the NBA like Hart did, but I think his skill set and readiness is quite a bit higher than Jason's was, comparatively speaking, as an incoming frosh.

OK, quick - what are the new starting lineups & key rotations of those teams going to be? since, you know, watching them once or twice makes you an expert

jeesh, people on this board are so eager to find a reason to be insulted. I guess it is the wages of our Culture of Complaint

Who said I was insulted?

You seem a little insulted that your "we don't know Minn., so why would they know Cuse" point fell flat.

, I think Ennis is going to have a great frosh year he will have some bumps along the way but all players do.

Which is why I don't think an opposing fan pointing out that a freshmen PG may struggle a little during his first month at the college level is a ridiculous statement or one worth highlighting as a bad call.

While there are valid questions related to SU's backcourt in 2013-14, the Orange frontcourt, which is the -5th frontcourt in the nation, will carry the day versus the Gophers.

My prediction: Syracuse 107 Minnesota 29

It's not gonna be THAT close.

While there are valid questions related to SU's backcourt in 2013-14, the Orange frontcourt, which is the -5th frontcourt in the nation, will carry the day versus the Gophers.

My prediction: Syracuse 107 Minnesota 29

Only 78 points? What the heck is wrong with CJ Fair?

We have high hopes. We have good reason for high hopes. But very little is "known" about this team other than:
  1. CJ is a solid all around player poised for a standout senior season.
  2. Rak is an excellent shot blocker and good defender as a 5 in JB's system.
  3. Keita is one of the better backup centers in the country and will provide solid minutes.
Other than that little else is "known" I think there are very valid reasons to hope:
  1. Jerami Grant continues to develop and we see more than flashes of outstanding athleticism along with a high degree of basketball acumen.
  2. Dejauan Coleman is too talented, too big and too strong not to provide an inside presence that SU has not had in years.
  3. Tyler Ennis has shown in high school and internationally that he will not be overwhelmed and will be another in a long line of freshman PG's st Syracuse to be more of a positive than a negative.
  4. The likelyhood that the 2 winningest coaches of all time were both wrong about Michael GBinje is mind boggling. We're not sure what his game will be but it will be good. Very good.
  5. Trevor Cooney was better than expected in allareas last year except the one area he was expected to be, shooting. The kid can shoot. If he figures it out watch out ACC.
  6. One of the new "sons" will exceed expectations. They've won too many games in high school and had too many nice things said about them for all 3 of them to fall flat as freshman. If just one lives up to his hype this year he could be the piece that puts SU over the top.
Honestly, there is no reason for anyone other than an SU fan to pay attention to our hopes. I put our hopes in the order of likleyhood. And I feel pretty good about #6!

Well to an outsider who watched Cuse at all, I would think that Grant would be a more likely starter than Coleman. Grant was in the rotation in the big games that mattered down the stretch, Coleman was not. And Christmas spent little time at PF in the big games, certainly less than Grant.
DC had knee surgery during the year. Thats why.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

michigan was a close game, we embarassed indiana

i get that, should i pick a game people thought we'd win and we got blown out instead?

The point was I don't get making fun of a fanbase for thinking they're going to win a game when they end up getting spanked. Before just about every game we play, the general consensus is that we're going to win. Much more often than not we do, but sometimes we lose.

I have to say and believe me, not trying to rub it in the faces of people who disagree with me or anyone else who has high hopes.

I just want this team to succeed. If part of me is delusional enough to thinking that willing SU with positivity and belief that we are better than others irks some, I do understand. I have had some fortune in my sports teams winning championships, some on the professional side.

But something about SU basketball has always hyped me way more than any other team I cheer for.
Maybe part of it is that I started off rooting for the underdog, the little guy in Sherman Douglas who just amazed me with his passing, handle and agility.

Sure, they are not an underdog. But I can't explain it otherwise. Just always wanted them to succeed and I know it's foolish for me to think that anything I say has anything to do with their success.

I still will believe in this team when others and most don't. I am a passionate fan. And that's the way I like it. I hope some of you can respect where I'm coming from, and I will certainly try to do the same for you.

I have to say and believe me, not trying to rub it in the faces of people who disagree with me or anyone else who has high hopes.

I just want this team to succeed. If part of me is delusional enough to thinking that willing SU with positivity and belief that we are better than others irks some, I do understand. I have had some fortune in my sports teams winning championships, some on the professional side.

But something about SU basketball has always hyped me way more than any other team I cheer for.
Maybe part of it is that I started off rooting for the underdog, the little guy in Sherman Douglas who just amazed me with his passing, handle and agility.

Sure, they are not an underdog. But I can't explain it otherwise. Just always wanted them to succeed and I know it's foolish for me to think that anything I say has anything to do with their success.

I still will believe in this team when others and most don't. I am a passionate fan. And that's the way I like it. I hope some of you can respect where I'm coming from, and I will certainly try to do the same for you.

Where is the "Like X 50 Button" when you need it?

One of the new "sons" will exceed expectations.
nice

we can give the deep bench the collective nickname of The Rising Sons
231374-bigthumbnail.jpg

i get that, should i pick a game people thought we'd win and we got blown out instead?

The point was I don't get making fun of a fanbase for thinking they're going to win a game when they end up getting spanked. Before just about every game we play, the general consensus is that we're going to win. Much more often than not we do, but sometimes we lose.

its just a part of sports. trash talking.

your team sux! we're gonna kill you! ennis can beat minnesota by himself!

DC had knee surgery during the year. Thats why.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

He was barely playing by that point. Grant, largely due to Southerland's suspension, played a ton of minutes for awhile and was a very key player for awhile. Coleman only got big minutes early in the year against scrub teams.

The only point I was making is that if a fan of another team knows who Coleman is, it would seem they would know who Grant is, and it would seem they would be more likely to project Grant as a starter this year given that he was actually on the floor and contributing in some big, nationally televised games(win over Louisville, played well in final four) last year.

Ummm. With the exception of missing Grant's ability (easy to do from the outside looking in), that's a decent evaluation.

We have one proven option. The rest are a bunch of guys that were good in high school and that we hope are going to be good this year in college and also gel as a team.

I have no idea how good Minnesota is. Maybe an average game from our guys will blow their doors off but it doesn't change the fact that our guys are unproven. Sherm is right. Let's not get carried away. Especially as pertains to early-season success.

this sounds like almost all of the elite college basketball schools. we in fact return more proven experience then most top 25 teams. we are young at guard, but I fully trust Ennis will be more then capable.

He was barely playing by that point. Grant, largely due to Southerland's suspension, played a ton of minutes for awhile and was a very key player for awhile. Coleman only got big minutes early in the year against scrub teams.

The only point I was making is that if a fan of another team knows who Coleman is, it would seem they would know who Grant is, and it would seem they would be more likely to project Grant as a starter this year given that he was actually on the floor and contributing in some big, nationally televised games(win over Louisville, played well in final four) last year.

you are assuming that they know Syracuse from having watched them multiple times (unlikely), rather than the far more likely "analysis" of simply taking a quick look at the season stats and noting that there are three returning frontcourt players who started 20 games together before one got injured.

you are assuming that they know Syracuse from having watched them multiple times (unlikely), rather than the far more likely "analysis" of simply taking a quick look at the season stats and noting that there are three returning frontcourt players who started 20 games together before one got injured.

You're probably right as far as that particular poster and what he did.

I don't know why you post like it's so farfetched that somebody out there is actually watching when the #1 team is in a war with another top team on CBS, the NCAA tournament, or especially the final 4.

Most college hoop fans know and watch the top teams and programs to an extent. I'm sure most of us watched Kansas, Duke, Indiana, UNC, Michigan State, etc. at least 3-4 times...I'm sure most college hoop fans saw Syracuse play at least a few times.

Here's another gem. "Put me in the boat of thinking Ennis will struggle to start off with. He's a true freshman running the point in the first month of his college career. The backcourt doesn't intimidate me one bit."

syracuse will have a lineup of something like
PG: tyler enis, freshman, ranked #20 in the nation
SG: trevor cooney: junior, didnt do very much last year, top 100 player in HS
SF: CJ fair, averaged 14 PPG 7 RPG, easily their best player
PF:rakeem christmas, junior, didnt do much but top 25 in the nation in HS and averaged 1.8 BPG
C: Dajuan coleman, sophmore, top 15 recruit in the nation last year

CJ fair is their only solidified player from last year, everybody else did nothing last year but was highly touted in HS

No mention of Gbinije and Grant? Lol.

Sounds like the dude has been talking to way too many Rutgers fans. He's drinking the scarlet kool aid already.

I know everyone is confident about our team but let's not get carried away. A good team is all about chemistry, our 96-97 returned 3 starters from the Final Four team a year before and a top recruit in Jason Hart. That team fell flat on its face and went 19-13 and didn't make the tournament. I'm not saying that is what will happen this year but let's wait to see the team chemistry before we jump to conclusions.

That team fell flat on it's face because it lost JDub and Winfred Walton. Otis Hill needed someone he could work off of to be effective. He was too easy to double team. Without a bonifide inside scoring threat, that team was cooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom