Gopher fans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gopher fans

It’s funny, I’m pretty close with some folks that I trust that have direct access to the athletic department & both PJ Fleck & Mark Coyle… they vouch for & really respect both of them. It confuses me. I’ve discussed Fleck’s seeming character & recruiting reputations/rumors in the past, it was an interesting conversation for sure.

So… I sent the gif of the girl that’s been shared here as a reminder of our position of Bowl game dominance;)

I lived in Minnesota from 1996-1999 and I don't think I ever met anyone who was genuinely into Gopher football. There was lots of excitement around the 1997 Final Four team but that quickly subsided after the following year. Similar vibe to Pittsburgh where everything is pro sports focused.

GophersOpenMouthStruggleFace.gif
She’s cute

There are some reasonable fans on there, but wow some are just delusional. It's a "travesty of justice"!!! They complain about Iowa having a better bowl, because they have a worse record. But, Iowa has the same conference record and beat them head to head. And they complain about Maryland, who has a worse record, but they play in the hard division of the conference.

There are some reasonable fans on there, but wow some are just delusional. It's a "travesty of justice"!!! They complain about Iowa having a better bowl, because they have a worse record. But, Iowa has the same conference record and beat them head to head. And they complain about Maryland, who has a worse record, but they play in the hard division of the conference.
I just can’t imagine being a Minnesota fan and getting legitimately angry over which mediocre Bowl your mediocre football team is going to. Does it really matter? Who cares? It’s not like they’re getting “screwed”.

Didn’t we go 6-1 in the Big East and beat 4-3 VT head to head, and still lose the Gator Bowl to them? THAT is worth getting worked up about. Because we were actually good that year and got screwed.

If you’re middle of the pack and you end up where middle of the pack teams end up….it is what it is.

I have no clue why they think they’re above the pinstripe. Their best win was 6-6 Wisconsin lol

They beat 6 teams with losing records, 6-6 Wisconsin, 6-6 New Mexico St

Each of the 3 teams with at least 8 wins they played beat them by double figures. They lost at home to 7-5 Iowa as their other loss

By resume Syracuse deserved a better bowl than Minnesota did as Syracuse’s resume is far better
Good lord, that’s an NIT resume

The only successful people from Minnesota were Prince and Kirby Puckett.
Don’t forget about Bob Dylan & Kevin McHale!

FYI- I live less than 2 miles from Prince’s house (Paisley Park) & my neighbor used to see him bicycling past our houses in the middle of the night occasionally. Prince would go to the local Chanhassen coffee shop & movie theater where locals basically just said hi or left him alone. He was a very short and obviously talented man (and quite the swordsman).

Minnesota of course plays in the crappy B1G division. The one with no teams in the top 25. The one most agree is the worst division in any P5 league.

While we played in a division that had 4 teams in the top 25 most of the year. Sometimes 5. Six teams spent time in the top 25. Wake, UL and Syracuse eventually fell out after playing so many games against ranked teams.

UM didn’t play either of the 2 best teams in the conference (OSU and UM) and they had a cross over game against all time bad opponent Rutgers. Nice.

They also played an exceptionally weak OOC schedule. New Mexico State, an awful Colorado team and something called Western Illiinois. We played 3 bowl teams out of conference.

Only played one team in the top 25, (Penn State), who, of course, destroyed them.

The only common opponent is Purdue, who we beat and who beat Minnesota.

If we had a chance to play against that slate of cupcakes, we would likely have 10 wins. Good chance we would have 11. How does anyone rational think they deserve a good bowl when your team loses to every decent team it plays? They have zero good wins. Their best win was over a 6-6 UW team. They didn’t beat a single team with a winning record. Ugh.

Hard to understand how anyone could favor this team against Syracuse.

The collective record of their opponents who they beat is 22-78. Of those they lost to the combined record is 33-16 for a total of 55 - 94.

Now for SU, their collective wins record stands at 36-46, losses 43- 18 for a total of 79- 64. I mean its not even remotely close.

I just can’t imagine being a Minnesota fan and getting legitimately angry over which mediocre Bowl your mediocre football team is going to. Does it really matter? Who cares? It’s not like they’re getting “screwed”.

Didn’t we go 6-1 in the Big East and beat 4-3 VT head to head, and still lose the Gator Bowl to them? THAT is worth getting worked up about. Because we were actually good that year and got screwed.

If you’re middle of the pack and you end up where middle of the pack teams end up….it is what it is.
Yes and we played Tennessee, Georgia Tech and Auburn in our OOC

It will be fun when when their massively overrated 10-2 Vikings lose their first playoff game to go with a Pinstripe loss.

I always laugh at the NYC home game for Syracuse. Syracuse has pretty substantial alumni bases all over not just NYC and is about 5 hours away from NYC. Does Chicago count as a home game for U of Minn? I mean I live in Richmond VA now and NYC is about an hour further away.

As a transplant to VA...and someone who hates NYC, I get tired of telling people I meet that 80 percent of NY is lovely farmland, mountains and lakes. I am from NY not from NYC otherwise i would have said NYC. If I had my way NY would hand NYC to Jersey.

Rant Over

Last edited:
I always laugh at the NYC home game for Syracuse. Syracuse has pretty substantial alumni bases all over not just NYC and NYC is 5 hours away from NYC. Does Chicago count as a home game for U of Minn? I mean I live in Richmond VA now and NYC is about the an hour further away.

As a transplant to VA...and someone who hates NYC, I get tired of telling people I meet that 80 percent of NY is lovely farmland, mountains and lakes. I am from NY not from NYC otherwise i would have said NYC. If I had my way NY would hand NYC to Jersey.

Rant Over
NY has lovely farmland, lakes, mountains, and the best big city in the country. We’ll take it all, thanks!

NY has lovely farmland, lakes, mountains, and the best big city in the country. We’ll take it all, thanks!
Haha yeah I mean I get peoples affinity for NYC. But I hate people in general and I'm a legit germaphobe. Any populated area is rough for me so NYC has about 8.5 million people too many for me to enjoy it.

Eh, if Gopher fans wanna be salty, they can be salty.

It would have been fun to play a team we haven't played as often or as recently but this is a good match up and I think will be a good game.

Haha yeah I mean I get peoples affinity for NYC. But I hate people in general and I'm a legit germaphobe. Any populated area is rough for me so NYC has about 8.5 million people too many for me to enjoy it.
I wouldn’t live there, but I love having it close enough to make a day trip every now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom