GoT Season 8 | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

GoT Season 8

Obviously the last episode should’ve been multiple episodes but the ending was fine with me. I wish jon’s return north was by choice and not forced/the ultimate sacrifice. But thats always been his arc. A hero who sacrificed whatever to save a world we all knew he’d never be able to enjoy.

Jon visits Tyrion as a prisoner and guards don’t let him bring in weapons because the dwarf might overpower Jon, steal his weapons, and escape.

Jon visits Dany in the throne room and guards are like go ahead we cool be alone with her and your weapons. Oh and last episode Dany trusted no one and was upset with Jon for betraying her as well as not wanting to be her lover. This episode she is a teenage girl when Jon is around.

The 7 kingdoms are really going to accept a Northern man as President/King who then turns around and as his first act allows the North to be it’s own kingdom? Nothing in season 8 is consistent with the history of the show.

Great show overall though. It’s just hard to believe when season 7 ended over 1 and half years ago this was the story arc planned.
I mean the season 7 finale was so good and interesting and we get this is season 8 story arc.

Say what you will about the finale, but I thought the scene where the dragon wings unfolded behind Dany was a terrific piece of cinematography.

Agree with the poster above that the ending was a bit rushed, but they wrapped up a lot of loose ends.

The pacing in this final season was the worst and I think that killed a lot of the good work the writers did guiding the plot after the books.

The first two episodes were wasted schlepping everyone up to Winterfell for reunions, reconciliation, kumbaya crap. I wish they'd condensed that crap to the first 30-45 minutes of episode 1 and started the battle against the Night King with a cliff hanger ending leading into episode 2.

Finish the Night King battle toward the end of epsiode 2 and you're sitting pretty with plot twists galore for the sack of King's Landing.

They would've had plenty of time to wrap things up even with their overwrought "tone-setting" crap.

I don't use social media so i didn't know any of the leaks prior to watching any episode. I wasn't terribly disappointed in the finale because my expectations were rock bottom after the first 5 episodes.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised Jon Snow finally grew a set; thought it was more Targaryen than Stark to shiv auntie like that.

Edit - I also liked the ambiguity of Jon leading Tormund and the wildlings north of the wall. Would he turn his back on the Night's Watch and become King of the Free Folk (ala Mance Rayder)?

Another thing when Brienne wrote her entry for Jaime it showed he was pardoned by Robert when he killed the Mad King.
Then why the heck wouldn’t Bran pardon his cousin for killing the Mad Queen.
I mean last week happened right? Dany did commit mass genocide right?
Jon has to go to the wall why?

Another thing when Brienne wrote her entry for Jaime it showed he was pardoned by Robert when he killed the Mad King.

It was a compromise. If you pardon Jon, then you have a war with the Unsullied and the Dothraki on your hands.

It was a compromise. If you pardon Jon, then you have a war with the Unsullied and the Dothraki on your hands.
So Jon goes for a week the Unsullied and Dothraki go back over the water back to Naath. Jon comes back to Westeros with a pardon.

Plus the Dothraki and Unsullied did commit war crimes for Dany against Kings Landing.
It’s just not well written IMO.

Because that was the minimum Grey Worm wanted to walk away.

And it was what Jon wanted anyways.

I fear the same thing, but let's hope not.

We've essentially got:

- Arya becoming a faceless man... only to become an ocean explorer

- Jon becoming the greatest leader in the world... only to join a band of leaderless men

- Bran becoming a three eyed raven... except he never really used the power to impact the story

- the Unsullied threatening what will happen to the kingdom if the rightful heir to the throne is released... but they leave the kingdom for Naath

- We've got all these stories about how power hungry houses are, then a supremely hated man from the most hated house figures everything out in 3 minutes and puts a secondary character on the throne

- And let's not forget we centered a huge portion of the story around Dany building loyal followers only to have no reaction to her death and jump right into some stupid joke about democracy.

It's ridiculously rushed for cool fight scenes.

Arya saying how nobody knows what's west of Westeros but can't Bran just warg into a bird or something and tell her?

Who cares about things like that, highly doubt any of us noticed it in real time. Same way no normal person caught the coffee cup. People are such whiny babies about everything now. I'm just happy this show existed as there hasn't been anything close to it since maybe Breaking Bad or the 1st few seasons of Walking Dead before it became a joke.

Who cares about things like that, highly doubt any of us noticed it in real time. Same way no normal person caught the coffee cup. People are such whiny babies about everything now. I'm just happy this show existed as there hasn't been anything close to it since maybe Breaking Bad or the 1st few seasons of Walking Dead before it became a joke.
The people who want the last season reshot are whiny babies but these mistakes show the last season was rushed which makes no sense.

The people in cinematography for the show should catch these mistakes as they tend to be insane about perfection.
The director and showrunners when they pick all the takes they want for each scene.
It’s just sloppy and bad form to have not just one of these mistakes but 3 of them.

I think the fact that we waited two years for the final season and it was far and away the worst season of the 8 is what makes it so awful for me. It was too choppy and rushed, characters MIA until the last shot, just dumb wasteful scenes. Where was the Vale in all this, they probably have the biggest remaining army. Kill Dany and the next scene is a time hop of like 10 years later? That time hop was so messy, what was the immediate aftermath of killing her? I loved how the tower was completely rebuilt in the background to lol; was the time hop more like 20 years? The utter lack of attention to detail just dumbed it down so much and made the last season a cartoon. Almost jumped the shark worse than walking dead.

Greyworm and the Dothraki? ha. There were like 200 Dothraki left and they should've just killed Greyworm in the last scene at the counsel. He was by himself. Jon, after everything that you've done, we're sending you to the wall because that's what Greyworm wants. Stop it. And oh by the way, you can't get married and have children. Jon was right when he said, 'theres still a castle black"? At LEAST they showed him heading north to be a Wildling.

Last edited:
This is my own personal theory but I wish they spent like 2-3 minutes at the end to show that Bran had planned and manipulated major players like Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Sansa, Arya and others to get where he wanted which was to be King.

He knew everyone’s past, seemed to have some ability to see the future as a greenseer, and could warg into animals (and people). He played being an innocent disabled guy but he set up the pieces for Dany’s descent into madness, killing the Night King, and having Tyrion nominate him to be the new king.

Call me crazy but I don’t think he’s a good guy and he pretty much Dr. Strange’d the ending to his advantage.

Getting a 1 on 1 with Bran and Tyrion where we find out what they discussed in S8 episode 2 and a big reveal that Bran orchestrated it all would have been a cool ending and showed he was the ultimate player of the Game of Thrones.

The series was so epic that the finality was always going to be less than perfect. That said last night was a little too cute and anticlimactic

We are (I am) probably too hard on the show writers. GRRM has created an extremely complex world where he doesn’t have to worry about budgets or casting availability. He is hopefully creating (and I think his book fans are expecting) a series where all the little details matter and make sense when things come to a head (unlike, say Lost). Unless you are in Martin’s mind, I doubt it’s easy to piece everything together — and he certainly wasn’t as involved in the show as much the last half of its run.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t the time and/or budget to let everything play out as complexly as the show started. I think the writers knew they couldn’t match the stories GRRM was putting out so they went with epic battle scenes and amazing cinematography. Unfortunately, they are seeing that many fans were heavily invested in character arcs and how the various stories came together and that was a hurdle too high for them, regardless of how great the other aspects of the show were.

Last edited:
This is my own personal theory but I wish they spent like 2-3 minutes at the end to show that Bran had planned and manipulated major players like Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Sansa, Arya and others to get where he wanted which was to be King.

He knew everyone’s past, seemed to have some ability to see the future as a greenseer, and could warg into animals (and people). He played being an innocent disabled guy but he set up the pieces for Dany’s descent into madness, killing the Night King, and having Tyrion nominate him to be the new king.

Call me crazy but I don’t think he’s a good guy and he pretty much Dr. Strange’d the ending to his advantage.

Getting a 1 on 1 with Bran and Tyrion where we find out what they discussed in S8 episode 2 and a big reveal that Bran orchestrated it all would have been a cool ending and showed he was the ultimate player of the Game of Thrones.
When the Night King was walking to Bran in episode 3 and was just staring at him for a minute I was joking to the people I was watching it with for the NK to knell to Bran and have the swerve being Bran was a bad guy. Sadly though Arya killed him a minute later.

Bran going from emo don’t call me Bran to cool I will be Bran the Broken was stupidly written.

We are (I am) probably too hard on the show writers. GRRM has created an extremely complex world where he doesn’t have to worry about budgets or casting availability. He is hopefully creating (and I think his book fans are expecting) a series where all the little details matter and make sense when things come to a head (unlike, say Lost). Unless you are in Martin’s mind, I doubt it’s easy to piece everything together — and he certainly wasn’t as involved in the show as much the last half of its run.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t the time and/or budget to let everything play out as complexly as the show started. I think the writers knew they couldn’t match the stories GRRM was putting out so they went with epic battle scenes and amazing cinematography. Unfortunately, they are seeing that many fans were heavily invested in character arcs and how the various stories came together and that was a hurdle to high for them, regardless of how great the other aspects of the show were.
Perfectly stated. I mean in the books there is the jungle continent. Outside of Jorah and Tyrion going by boat to the greyscale island not sure it was mentioned. That had to be an HBO budget/set issue.

A lot of the GRRM story from the book wasn’t used. The storylines didn’t have to be elite for season 8 but just fit the story they had to been telling.

Their were too many out of character events in season 8 that it was sloppy.

Perfectly stated. I mean in the books there is the jungle continent. Outside of Jorah and Tyrion going by boat to the greyscale island not sure it was mentioned. That had to be an HBO budget/set issue.

A lot of the GRRM story from the book wasn’t used. The storylines didn’t have to be elite for season 8 but just fit the story they had to been telling.

Their were too many out of character events in season 8 that it was sloppy.

That’s just it. My personal favorite scene was where Jamie opened up to Brienne in the hot tub and talked about the mad king wanting to “burn them all”. It was the defining moment of his character and one of the defining moments of the entire series. When he said “I never cared for the innocents” it seemed to create a fundamental change in who we saw him to truly be. Just strange.

That was a great final episode. My only real complaint is I wanted a final scene with Drogon in Valyria roaring with some baby dragons he/she laid and hatched.

Where all the characters end up is likely how Martin plans it, since he gave the showrunners the ending. I assume the third "huge twist" he told them must have been Jon killing Dany.

Dany with Drogon behind her was an amazing image, and Drogon rising from the snow was too. And the sequence after Jon stabs her with Drogon flying in, trying to rouse her, becoming angry but focusing his wrath on the throne, not Jon, and then scooping her up was so beautiful and horrible at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom