GoT Season 8 | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

GoT Season 8

Perfectly stated. I mean in the books there is the jungle continent. Outside of Jorah and Tyrion going by boat to the greyscale island not sure it was mentioned. That had to be an HBO budget/set issue.

A lot of the GRRM story from the book wasn’t used. The storylines didn’t have to be elite for season 8 but just fit the story they had to been telling.

Their were too many out of character events in season 8 that it was sloppy.

There was a pretty funny twitter thread I saw that was a bunch of gifs/clips/memes of events and storylines throughout the series that at the time seemed pretty significant and that viewers thought were going to play a major factor in the conclusion of the story but all didn't really matter or impact the ending at all.

I mean wow the showrunners really didn’t vet this season well. How did they make 2 major mistakes in only 6 episodes.
I heard John Bradley only gets paid $10k per episode. It will cost more to CGI out his water bottle.

We are (I am) probably too hard on the show writers. GRRM has created an extremely complex world where he doesn’t have to worry about budgets or casting availability. He is hopefully creating (and I think his book fans are expecting) a series where all the little details matter and make sense when things come to a head (unlike, say Lost). Unless you are in Martin’s mind, I doubt it’s easy to piece everything together — and he certainly wasn’t as involved in the show as much the last half of its run.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t the time and/or budget to let everything play out as complexly as the show started. I think the writers knew they couldn’t match the stories GRRM was putting out so they went with epic battle scenes and amazing cinematography. Unfortunately, they are seeing that many fans were heavily invested in character arcs and how the various stories came together and that was a hurdle too high for them, regardless of how great the other aspects of the show were.
It was an impossible task. It would be like completing the Lord of the Rings if Tolkien had never written the Return of the King.

Dany with Drogon behind her was an amazing image, and Drogon rising from the snow was too. And the sequence after Jon stabs her with Drogon flying in, trying to rouse her, becoming angry but focusing his wrath on the throne, not Jon, and then scooping her up was so beautiful and horrible at once.

Speaking of the snow in Kings Landing. Had it ever snowed that far South before; in Kings Landing?

That's funny because watching it did not occur to me that it was snowing. I thought it was ash from the city burning.

Going from trailers and stills I originally thought it was ash. After the show I thought for sure it was snow. Who knows.

This is my own personal theory but I wish they spent like 2-3 minutes at the end to show that Bran had planned and manipulated major players like Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Sansa, Arya and others to get where he wanted which was to be King.

He knew everyone’s past, seemed to have some ability to see the future as a greenseer, and could warg into animals (and people). He played being an innocent disabled guy but he set up the pieces for Dany’s descent into madness, killing the Night King, and having Tyrion nominate him to be the new king.

Call me crazy but I don’t think he’s a good guy and he pretty much Dr. Strange’d the ending to his advantage.

Getting a 1 on 1 with Bran and Tyrion where we find out what they discussed in S8 episode 2 and a big reveal that Bran orchestrated it all would have been a cool ending and showed he was the ultimate player of the Game of Thrones.
Bran Soze

This is my own personal theory but I wish they spent like 2-3 minutes at the end to show that Bran had planned and manipulated major players like Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Sansa, Arya and others to get where he wanted which was to be King.

He knew everyone’s past, seemed to have some ability to see the future as a greenseer, and could warg into animals (and people). He played being an innocent disabled guy but he set up the pieces for Dany’s descent into madness, killing the Night King, and having Tyrion nominate him to be the new king.

Call me crazy but I don’t think he’s a good guy and he pretty much Dr. Strange’d the ending to his advantage.

Getting a 1 on 1 with Bran and Tyrion where we find out what they discussed in S8 episode 2 and a big reveal that Bran orchestrated it all would have been a cool ending and showed he was the ultimate player of the Game of Thrones.
I can see this and I think it's getting more discussion. At the end of GoT, the lords of Westeros sent their hereditary king to the far north in exile, Bran repeatedly said he was no longer Brandon Stark and that he's the three-eyed raven, the former 3ER was more or less immortal, AND at the small council, Bran(3ER) said he was going to look for Drogon. So ultimatley, you end up with an omnniscient, immortal with a dragon in charge of the 7 6 Kingdoms

Maybe not such a happy ending afterall.

Did anyone catch, on HBO ( we rarely have HBO, but signed up to catch up on all this) the behind-the-scenes show on the final season? Kinda neat seeing Danny in her chair waiting to get the braided wig set, Kit still being his brooding, uncharismatic self, and the actor behind the horned, blue-eyed dead ice king guy running around Spain whipping up support while wrapping up final shooting.

LOL a lady in the crowd yelling to him "I hope you win!"

Binged this show in the last month. Really was drawn in during the first season (watched with cousin who had seen it already and helped explain a tad without spoilers). Hard to follow some stuff as I went on through the seasons with so many characters. Overall I enjoyed it but can see why people didn’t like the last season or that it was rushed. I probably would have liked it a bit more overall if I didn’t have spoilers. I had an idea at least of who was still around by the last few episodes. I feel the white walkers had so much potential but you really don’t get nearly enough which is weird.

Breaking bad still ahead for me.

disappointing season. as stated above appetite for episodes outpaced the author.
patience is indeed a virtue no longer afforded in mass media. and now is not always better.

In the first season, they set it up like the dire wolves were going to be a significant part of the story. They were not. That is disappointing.

In the first season, they set it up like the dire wolves were going to be a significant part of the story. They were not. That is disappointing.
Ghost played a pretty big role and saved Jon snow a few times. Summer saved the King of Westeros

the white walkers really did not espouse liberal democracy. they were more about a strong central authoritarian blue eyed ruler. a rule by fiat and by cannabilism with strong zombie and anti crow tendencies. and as long as they're white it's all cool.

Kinda funny - just read the Harry Potter series. While discussing the ending, it was brought up: Who woulda thunk that the lead up to and the Battle of Hogwartz would be more dangerous for main characters than the Battle for Winterfell?

I know this isn't really a popular opinion but I was pleased with the White Walker threat being disposed of in one episode. For me there wasn't that much tension in it because I didn't think even GoT would allow them to win. It was only a matter of who died fighting them and how they pulled it off.

I am planning to rewatch GoT soon. I know the last season was a massive blunder overall but I will be curious what other takeaways I have of the show as a whole. As I posted above, I watched this all basically after it was all finished up.

Oh, and the early pages of this thread are great when you compare to the later ones...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom